Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 78 of 196 [ 3123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 196  Next

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 2:51 am

Cartoon about events quite a good YouTube channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tII4wGr3apc

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 2:52 am

ironpony wrote:
If Russia cannot legally punish it's soldiers because they are not officially in a state of war, than why do several Russian soldiers and commanders feel pressured into following orders to invade Ukraine if the government cannot punish them for disobeying?
Because the split between "legally" and "actually" has a long tradition of being used by Russian state.
Legally, they couldn't poison opposition leaders, could they?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:14 am

magz wrote:
I'm familiar with the speech itself, along with general Polish-Ukrainian relations, but I can't tell anything about the Chinese subtitles. Are they what they're said to be?

Original Chinese text:
The President of Poland issued a war mobilization that Poland would enter Ukraine to participate in the Ukrainian military resistance.
The Polish Armed Forces entered full combat readiness in western Ukraine.
To be honest, it's not worth the fuss. This type of eye-catching marketing accounts has always been the case, and the Russia/Ukraine issue is just a new theme. I didn't notice that this account was particularly influential.
As I said before, quite a few Chinese have a favorable impression of Russians. Especially those pro-establishment groups who consider themselves leftists. This can get a lot of traffic.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 28 May 2022, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:23 am

There is truly disturbing news here. The fake news is said to come from local Russian officials.

Quote:
The mayor of the city of Blagoveshchensk (Hyrampo) published fake news to show that China "supports Russia's war with Ukraine".

The video, which was widely circulated in federal media and pro-Kremlin channels, showed a laser projection with the words "Russia, we are with you", allegedly fired from the city of Heihe, on the opposite bank of Blagoveshchensk.

But according to an independent media investigation, the video is clearly fake:

- Laser projection can be played on clouds, but not in clear sky.

- The beam of light is too clear.

- The reflection of the laser in the water is so close compared to the projection itself that its movement looks like subtitle movement in a video editing program.

Although the embankment promenade in Blagoveshchensk is a popular place, we did not find any witnesses.

Note: Heihe belongs to the northeastern border of China. Both Tsarist Russia and the Soviet Union left blood debts there. This history itself does not mean that this can be proved to be fake. Because we have seen some young Taiwanese who insisted that the grandmother who was used as a comfort woman by the Japanese army was willing. Or young Hong Kongers praising the British colonists.
But if this is faked by the Russian side, that's pretty vicious.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 28 May 2022, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 5:37 am

Thanks.
So these are exactly the lies they're accused of* but not likely to have any actual impact.

A laser projection on a clear sky is physically impossible so it must be faked. I interpret it as pushing a narrative that the Chinese fully support Russia, with total disregard to the actual communities that are supposed to be saying it.

*Poland supplies Ukraine in every way available but does not send troops there. A claim that Poland would backstab Ukraine is repeated by Kremlin to undermine this cooperation but it's entirely void - from Polish point of view, a chance for establishing close cooperation with Ukraine is worth infinitely more than any possible territorial gains at a cost of hostility.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 5:48 am

magz wrote:
interpret it as pushing a narrative that the Chinese fully support Russia, with total disregard to the actual communities that are supposed to be saying it.

Interestingly, one of the broad views in the political debate in China is that the Western media has been pushing this narrative and now seems to have added Russia.

For more than a month, anti-pro-Russian (but not necessarily pro-Ukraine) has been accusing pro-Russian of being Western-funded on this ground. In order to confirm the false claim of the West "China and Russia axis of evil"/"Ukraine = Taiwan".

I don't fully agree with this accusation, as the cooperation between China and Russia is officially endorsed.
Perhaps "being Russian-funded" is an equally powerful explanation.

Another explanation is that the political debate circle was originally neutral. But the influx of Taiwanese into the community to support Ukraine at the start of the war made it overcompensated.

The current trend is that people who are overtly pro-Russian or pro-Ukrainian are easy to be ridiculed. But the non-neutral factions are all implicitly pushing their own agendas.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 6:04 am

^That smells like promoting Western-Chinese hostility... and on the Western side, it's funny how the Trumpster-like right-wing media seem most active in painting the Chinese as possible agressors.

While the whole West does not trust China for their lack of transparency and disregard for human rights, the most crazy anti-China conspiracies seem to come from the far right. Western far right (and likely far left, but this has currently significantly less impact) has traceable connections to Kremlin...

Some of the hostilities are likely spontanic but is there also some intentional activity aimed at spoiling possible Chinese-Western cooperation?

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:20 am

I think Western military companies have been pressing the West to believe that it faces an enemy in the form of a great power. Whether it is Russia or China or other targets that may arise.
"Islamic terror" is not always a compelling enough rhetoric for states to buy large quantities of arms.

My other impression is (correct me if I'm wrong) that even the early days of the Putin regime were not lacking in efforts to integrate into the West, but were rejected by the West.
The "West", or the United States and the European Union, need a common enemy to hold themselves together.
And a fully united Europe might force an alliance between China and the United States.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:23 am

magz wrote:
^That smells like promoting Western-Chinese hostility... and on the Western side, it's funny how the Trumpster-like right-wing media seem most active in painting the Chinese as possible agressors.

While the whole West does not trust China for their lack of transparency and disregard for human rights, the most crazy anti-China conspiracies seem to come from the far right. Western far right (and likely far left, but this has currently significantly less impact) has traceable connections to Kremlin...

Some of the hostilities are likely spontanic but is there also some intentional activity aimed at spoiling possible Chinese-Western cooperation?

Much of the animosity between China and the west is caused by the adoption of the CCP's "Wolf Warrior Diplomacy".

Quote:
Wolf warrior diplomacy (Chinese: 战狼外交; pinyin: Zhànláng Wàijiāo) describes an aggressive style of coercive diplomacy[1] adopted by Chinese diplomats in the 21st century under Chinese leader Xi Jinping's administration. The term was coined from the Chinese action film, Wolf Warrior. This approach is in contrast to prior Chinese diplomatic practices of Deng Xiaoping, which had emphasized the avoidance of controversy and the use of cooperative rhetoric.[2][3] Wolf warrior diplomacy is confrontational and combative, with its proponents loudly denouncing any perceived criticism of the Chinese government and its policies on social media and in interviews.[4] As an attempt to gain "discourse power" in international politics, wolf warrior diplomacy forms one part of a new foreign policy strategy called Xi Jinping's "Major Country Diplomacy" (Chinese: 大国外交; pinyin: Dàguó Wàijiāo) which has legitimized a more active role for China on the world stage, including engaging in an open ideological struggle with the West.[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_warrior_diplomacy

We have a left-wing government, now in Australia, they also have a problem with the CCP's aggressive attitude and have continued to embrace the QUAD alliance as a result.
PM Albanese, one day into the new government, went overseas to the QUAD to show his support, so it definitely isn't a binary: Right-wing/left-wing approach.

And there are always extremists on both sides of the political divide causing "mischief".
To me, it is more likely a Russian attempt at propaganda than some right-wing conspiracy.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:29 am

Pepe wrote:
Much of the animosity between China and the west is caused by the adoption of the CCP's "Wolf Warrior Diplomacy".

A simple fact: Few countries have ever needed to clash violently with a world factory. But a rising formidable opponent will be more suppressed. So the frequency of conflicts has increased.
If you pick enough cherries from the actions of one side in a conflict, you can manipulate the narrative.

This narrative itself is part of the exaggeration of the Chinese threat.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 28 May 2022, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2022, 6:31 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
My other impression is (correct me if I'm wrong) that even the early days of the Putin regime were not lacking in efforts to integrate into the West, but were rejected by the West.
Not really. Putin considered joining NATO... but certainly he didn't understand its architecture. Ultimately, he did not apply.
Quote:
George Robertson recalls Russian president did not want to wait in line with ‘countries that don’t matter’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... n-his-rule

Some European governments, especially German and French, were anything but "rejecting" Russia. They tried to make close ties with them all the time - ignoring all the "red flags" - up to the current invasion.

I think the West was actually very happy in these short times like 1990s, when they didn't have any common enemy. While common enemies help unite people, the damage they cause is not worth it.
Things like climate change and microplastic would have been a much better common enemy for our society. Up to Covid and the invasion, they were in the main spotlight.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:36 am

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Not really. Putin considered joining NATO... but certainly he didn't understand its architecture. Ultimately, he did not apply.
Quote:
George Robertson recalls Russian president did not want to wait in line with ‘countries that don’t matter’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... n-his-rule

Some European governments, especially German and French, were anything but "rejecting" Russia. They tried to make close ties with them all the time - ignoring all the "red flags" - up to the current invasion.

What I have read is that pootin's nose was pushed out of joint when he applied to become a NATO member.
He didn't want to go through the normal process and expected to jump the queue.
He was "told" that wasn't going to happen, so he spat the dummy.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 6:57 am

Putin worked in East Germany for a long time during the Soviet Union. Germany may be an overly special case. I'm more curious about the records of European countries, which have less at odds with the US, about their engagement with Russia.

The Rose Revolution broke out in Georgia in 2003, and the pro-Russian president was ousted.
The Orange Revolution broke out in Ukraine in 2004. Pro-Russian President Yanukovych won, but was accused of electoral fraud, and some people did not recognize the election results, and the revolution broke out.
In 2008, Bush insisted on deploying anti-missile missiles in Poland, and the reason given was to "prevent Iran". This appears to be a turning point in a sharp deterioration in U.S.-Russian relations.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:16 am

I pretty much agree with everything Hanson said, particularly when he says Biden was "twiddling his thumbs" at the beginning and essentially invited pootin to invade.

Quote:
China's Xi Jinping is 'troubled' by what he is seeing in Ukraine: Policy expert
Mar 28, 2022

Putin doesn't have the ability to defeat the Ukrainian forces, claims Hoover Institution senior fellow Victor Davis Hanson.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:18 am

^You might be able to supplement your knowledge of the world from sources other than Fox and its affiliates?
Repeated selection of the same interest group narratives only reinforces prejudice endlessly.

This makes your self-proclaimed "centrist" less credible.
Even if I never shy away from the faction I belong to in the Chinese political debate, I have read almost equal numbers of the claims of the other two factions.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:28 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
^You might be able to supplement your knowledge of the world from sources other than Fox and its affiliates?
Repeated selection of the same interest group narratives only reinforces prejudice endlessly.
This makes your self-proclaimed "centrist" less credible.

You are talking nonsense.
Any reference that you don't approve of is biased, apparently.
And you obviously didn't have time to translate the video.
You are making assumptions and are flinging ad hominems.
I have been very patient, but I think you need to stop.

I said the things in this video before this podcast came out and before I watched it.
I used my critical thinking skills, my life experience and my *living through the event* to make my own assessment.
Just ask magz.