Page 36 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 60  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm

ironpony wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
So are sex strikes going to be a thing?  That hasn't happened since the women's suffragette movement in the 1920s.
I doubt that "sex strikes" will work, except in exclusive relationships; especially when there are numerous pronz websites and countless friendly men and women willing to exchange bodily access for a Benjamin or two.

How is withholding sex in relationships suppose to help, since people can just break up if they want to and go for someone else?[/quote

If a man cheats on his partner or breaks up with her over lack of sex, then sex was all he cared about than her. They care more about sex than the woman's concern about risk of pregnancy and risk of birth control failing because they don't have access to an abortion anymore. This is what they asked for when they voted republican. After all, they don't need to stick it in to have sex, there are pother ways to have sex than sticking it in there. This is for the women haters out there that have been saying for years that we should keep our legs closed, how about you keep it out of us. It takes male and female to make a baby.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
When we talk about sex strikes, what does that mean exactly? People saving themselves for marriage?

"Sex strike" is something misogynists are using when women no longer want to have sex because they don't want to risk a pregnancy and risk birth control failing. They think women are doing this to get their way than finally doing what republicans wanted all along "keep their legs closed" but yet they still want to stick it in there? Talk about double standards.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 10:07 pm

ironpony wrote:
When we talk about sex strikes, what does that mean exactly? People saving themselves for marriage?

It means respecting women and their right to choose whether they want sex or not.

I hope that's not a new concept.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 10:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ironpony wrote:

"Sex strike" is something misogynists are using when women no longer want to have sex because they don't want to risk a pregnancy and risk birth control failing. They think women are doing this to get their way than finally doing what republicans wanted all along "keep their legs closed" but yet they still want to stick it in there? Talk about double standards.

Call me crazy but that seems like a strong indicator that it's never had anything to do with any matters related to morality and was always motivated by a desire to control. :rendeer:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 11:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Call me crazy but that seems like a strong indicator that it's never had anything to do with any matters related to morality and was always motivated by a desire to control. :rendeer:

Call me crazy but boys and men should be thankful that they won't get stuck with 18+ years of child support, and they won't risk being accused of rape -- because their partner won't get pregnant.

Sounds like a win to me.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ironpony wrote:

It means respecting women and their right to choose whether they want sex or not.

I hope that's not a new concept.

Oh yes of course, but I thought this was about abortion more so when talking about sex strikes more so.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:53 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh yes of course, but I thought this was about abortion more so when talking about sex strikes more so.

It's not about abortion.
It's about freedom of choice and equal rights.

Sex is supposed to be about those things anyway.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:07 am

That makes sense. will a lot of people have sex tracks as a result of this or are most people still be having sex but just use protection and hope for the best?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 8:56 am

ironpony wrote:
That makes sense. will a lot of people have sex tracks as a result of this or are most people still be having sex but just use protection and hope for the best?

The vast majority of people will probably use protection, especially as time goes on. Most people enjoy sexual intimacy too much to not have it. Also, some are against abortion and some just don’t give it much thought, so they wouldn’t see the need for a strike. Where I live, probably the majority of people are against it.

No form of birth control is 100% effective, except for abstinence, but the biggest issue is that people aren’t great about using whatever method they use 100% of the time.

Also, there’s the issue of victims of rape.

My point is that people need access to abortion because protection is not enough.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 11:14 am

This makes sense. But the way people talk it seems that most states laws, is that they are either all or nothing when it comes to abortion.

Either a state is for abortion, to the point where you can get one even after nine plus months of being pregnant, or you cannot get one, even you've been raped.

Do any states laws have any middle grounds or case by case exceptions, it are most states either all or nothing on the issue?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 11:38 am

ironpony wrote:
This makes sense. But the way people talk it seems that most states laws, is that they are either all or nothing when it comes to abortion.

Either a state is for abortion, to the point where you can get one even after nine plus months of being pregnant, or you cannot get one, even you've been raped.

Do any states laws have any middle grounds or case by case exceptions, it are most states either all or nothing on the issue?

Actually, most states give a time limit.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... very-state

(In my opinion, limiting it to cases of rape is not a “middle ground.”)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 12:52 pm

Abortion laws vary considerably amongst the states.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:10 pm

I see.

I don't think of abortion in the case of rape is a middle ground either, but it seems that a lot of people are all or nothing in it, which is why I used the term middle ground.

But states have their own laws on several issues, and people haven't had a problem with that, such as say drinking, cannabis, age of consent, what constitutes privacy....

So why is this the one thing people have a problem compared to other states laws compared to federal?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Call me crazy but boys and men should be thankful that they won't get stuck with 18+ years of child support, and they won't risk being accused of rape -- because their partner won't get pregnant.

Sounds like a win to me.

What I worry about is that the same people who are least respectful over a woman's right to control access to her flesh in one context are likely to turn out to also be the same people who are least respectful over a woman's right to control access to her flesh in other contexts.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

ironpony wrote:
I see.

I don't think of abortion in the case of rape is a middle ground either, but it seems that a lot of people are all or nothing in it, which is why I used the term middle ground.

But states have their own laws on several issues, and people haven't had a problem with that, such as say drinking, cannabis, age of consent, what constitutes privacy....

So why is this the one thing people have a problem compared to other states laws compared to federal?

People also make issues out of those other concerns you've listed if they feel their rights are being denied.
Abortion might just be a more relatable issue for more people.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:19 pm

ironpony wrote:

Actually, there’s frequent debate over some of these issues.

Abortion is the current star of the show due to the overturning of Roe vs. Wade.