Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 106 of 126 [ 2014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 126  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,830
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Sep 2022, 9:53 pm

^ Yaaa, that’s all gross. :/

Hopefully Russians end this war from within sooner rather than later.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

26 Sep 2022, 10:38 pm

I think that the fait of the world may depend on it.

Fortunately, I really think that the mobilization is already backfiring in major ways and that it will only become more obvious with time. I just hope that the regime falls before it uses WMDs, well, more than they normally do already such as targeted assassinations with novichok.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,872
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Sep 2022, 10:52 pm

I’m glad there’s a backlash against authoritarianism.

It’s happening in Iran. I hope it lasts in Russia, too.



carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,303

27 Sep 2022, 1:32 am

Russia’s greatest weakness is it’s leadership style.

Rather than creating a leader of a party around a political class that offers continuity in the long term.

They favor the old fashioned strong king type, so when the king dies and is replaced by another strong king he may do something very different so the country lurches from one direction to another.


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,857
Location: Poland

27 Sep 2022, 1:41 am

^ Not only this aspect of their leadership style is a weakness.
There's long tradition of something I'd describe as "the tsar has spoken - screw the reality" system. Putin, who has zero military experience and is far away from the matters, tells the battlefield officers what decisions to make. That's why this invasion even started.
Currently, the officers were calling for withdrawal from Kherson region and Putin forbid them to do it. So, let's expect Russian army in Kherson region to be grinded.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Age: 35
Posts: 2,755
Location: England

27 Sep 2022, 6:03 am

https://www.eugyppius.com/p/apparent-sa ... ord-stream

Both Nord Stream pipelines disabled by unidentified forces. Almost certainly the U.S. or one of their proxies.


_________________
Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,872
Location: Queens, NYC

27 Sep 2022, 8:27 am

Remember: Hitler was no military strategist, either. He did many things against the advice of his generals. This is one of the main reasons why the war turned against the Germans after 1943.

A dictator's Achilles heel if he/she is not a military person----thinking he/she is a genius military strategist.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,350
Location: temperate zone

27 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

Worthless wrote:
I think that the fait of the world may depend on it.

Fortunately, I really think that the mobilization is already backfiring in major ways and that it will only become more obvious with time. I just hope that the regime falls before it uses WMDs, well, more than they normally do already such as targeted assassinations with novichok.


Yeah. Protests. Thousands fleeing the country. And Ukraine has even set up a helpline/hotline for Russian soldiers on the front who wanna know exactly how to...surrender to Ukraine! :lol:

But Putin has already shown 'nuclear negligence' by having his troops actually camp IN the abandon radioactive ruins of Chernobyl, and by waging ground battles around extant nuclear plants in south Ukraine. Am not a fan of the US military, but our military would probably draw lines around nuclear power plants and designate them as "no fire zones". So Putin is THAT negligent then maybe he isnt bluffing about actually using nukes. Scary.



Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

27 Sep 2022, 11:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Worthless wrote:
I think that the fait of the world may depend on it.

Fortunately, I really think that the mobilization is already backfiring in major ways and that it will only become more obvious with time. I just hope that the regime falls before it uses WMDs, well, more than they normally do already such as targeted assassinations with novichok.


Yeah. Protests. Thousands fleeing the country. And Ukraine has even set up a helpline/hotline for Russian soldiers on the front who wanna know exactly how to...surrender to Ukraine! :lol:

But Putin has already shown 'nuclear negligence' by having his troops actually camp IN the abandon radioactive ruins of Chernobyl, and by waging ground battles around extant nuclear plants in south Ukraine. Am not a fan of the US military, but our military would probably draw lines around nuclear power plants and designate them as "no fire zones". So Putin is THAT negligent then maybe he isnt bluffing about actually using nukes. Scary.


Not only that, but they even installed heavy weapons (artillery, missiles launchers, ect.) in between reactor vessels of active plants. They also apparently rigged some of the plants with explosives.

Also, the troops who occupied Chernobyl didn't just camp there. They actually dug trenches and fox holes in the Red Forest. Additionally, there were cruising around in their vehicles kicking up huge amounts of radioactive dust. Last I heard, at least some of them were starting to suffer the effects of radiation sickness when they were pulled out along with all the other russian troops occupying northern Ukraine.


There is a genuine threat that they are crazy enough to use WMDs in this conflict, including nukes. They are trying to frame it now as the temporarily occupied territories are part of russia just as much as st petersburg and as they have pointed out, russian military doctrine calls for the use of ALL of the weapons systems at their disposal in the event their territory is threatened. They may well think that nuking Ukraine would not actually receive a real response from NATO, especially if it was just one or a couple "tactical nukes". As a quick aside, little boy and fat man (the nukes dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki) would be considered "tactical nukes", not strategic nukes by today's standard.

russia may also consider detonating a nuke in low earth orbit, either just to take out satilities, or to also use EMP against a target area on the ground( ie Ukraine). This they may also feel would not illicit a real response from NATO.

Additionally, they could use some of their massive chemical weapons stockpiles to try to gain an edge on the battlefield or simply as a terror weapon against the civilian populous.

Another terrifying possibility is that they could use their bio-weapons program, which includes small pox, drug resistant bubonic plage, anthrax, and much, much more.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,830
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

27 Sep 2022, 11:46 am

IF they use nukes I do wonder what the US/Nato response would be.. eye for an eye? Rearrange Moscow into Glassnow? *melt melt*

I mean, I can't exactly see there being a whole lot of talk and no action if the russians go ahead and use nukes.. if talk didn't prevent it, it's not going to stop it from continuing to happen kind of thing.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

27 Sep 2022, 11:57 am

goldfish21 wrote:
IF they use nukes I do wonder what the US/Nato response would be.. eye for an eye? Rearrange Moscow into Glassnow? *melt melt*

I mean, I can't exactly see there being a whole lot of talk and no action if the russians go ahead and use nukes.. if talk didn't prevent it, it's not going to stop it from continuing to happen kind of thing.



Yeah, the only thing russians understand is force. They also love to test the limits. If they do end up using nukes and receive an anemic response, they will see that as basically a green light. And then they will continue to test where the new limit is and push that.

The US apparently spelled out in no uncertain terms exactly what the US response would be in such a situation in direct communications with the highest levels of the kremlin.



Last edited by Worthless on 27 Sep 2022, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,023
Location: City of Roses

27 Sep 2022, 11:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m glad there’s a backlash against authoritarianism.

It’s happening in Iran. I hope it lasts in Russia, too.


If only it would happen in China and North Korea too...



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,516
Location: Outter Quadrant

27 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm

Am aware of this baddy. Russia , behaving like a Monster under Putin, but am getting a feeling that this is becoming more a War of Politics , Now it is more seeming like Bidens Military Industrial machine, against the Putin Military Industrial machine . Great testing ground for everybody’s latest and greatest man killing weapons. Then after using up old stockpiles of various weapons that they were not able to dump on the international market .
So afterwards the Great Moguls of the Military complexes on both sides will have excuses to ramp up , renew , replace older outdated equipment . Thereby keeping the greater amounts of people employed by the respective countries mega military businesses . And promoting more research and development of making more efficient methods of mutual destruction . As well as keeping suppliers of the components in business to build such things .
If researched throughout history the USA has a wartime based economy .
War is Bad for Children and all Living things


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,857
Location: Poland

27 Sep 2022, 12:55 pm

Worthless wrote:
Yeah, the only thing russians understand is force. They also love to test the limits. If they do end up using nukes and receive an anemic response, they will see that as basically a green light. And then they will continue to test where the new limit is and push that.
That's why I'm very happy for the 10000 American soldiers here.
Words and NATO art 5 are just words and paper but currently attacking Poland would mean attacking US Army - and that is something entirely different.

Russian decision-making system is crazy enough for us to need a plan for any scenario. No panic. Just a plan. I'm sure there are several being worked on in NATO headquarters.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,023
Location: City of Roses

27 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm

Jakki wrote:
Am aware of this baddy. Russia , behaving like a Monster under Putin, but am getting a feeling that this is becoming more a War of Politics , Now it is more seeming like Bidens Military Industrial machine, against the Putin Military Industrial machine . Great testing ground for everybody’s latest and greatest man killing weapons. Then after using up old stockpiles of various weapons that they were not able to dump on the international market .
So afterwards the Great Moguls of the Military complexes on both sides will have excuses to ramp up , renew , replace older outdated equipment . Thereby keeping the greater amounts of people employed by the respective countries mega military businesses . And promoting more research and development of making more efficient methods of mutual destruction . As well as keeping suppliers of the components in business to build such things .
If researched throughout history the USA has a wartime based economy .
War is Bad for Children and all Living things



As if that's not bad enough, am I the only one who suspects something fishy was going on when Pelosi traveled to Taiwan basically just to rankle China's feathers?

Don't get me wrong I do feel bad for the people of Taiwan right now, but I now feel Pelosi's little polical stunt was risky and stupid. It's like she WANTED to dare China to invade this island that Biden has made no real promise to defend.

Why are our leaders so determined to start World War 3 now? :|



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,857
Location: Poland

27 Sep 2022, 1:00 pm

Jakki wrote:
Am aware of this baddy. Russia , behaving like a Monster under Putin, but am getting a feeling that this is becoming more a War of Politics , Now it is more seeming like Bidens Military Industrial machine, against the Putin Military Industrial machine . Great testing ground for everybody’s latest and greatest man killing weapons. Then after using up old stockpiles of various weapons that they were not able to dump on the international market .
So afterwards the Great Moguls of the Military complexes on both sides will have excuses to ramp up , renew , replace older outdated equipment . Thereby keeping the greater amounts of people employed by the respective countries mega military businesses . And promoting more research and development of making more efficient methods of mutual destruction . As well as keeping suppliers of the components in business to build such things .
If researched throughout history the USA has a wartime based economy .
War is Bad for Children and all Living things

The problem is, what anyone who have been living under Russian rule knows, "Russkyy mir" can be not really better for children than a war - but it can last much longer.

You know results of investigations on what happened on the occupied territories. This is one of the rare cases when weapons do save lives.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>