Page 7 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Elves are probably where Tolkein added his own spin. While in Anglo-Saxon folklore elves could appear as beautiful nymphs, often dwelling near brooks and streams, they often were tricksters who lured men to their doom. They were also dwellers of the underworld in Scandananvian and Anglo-Saxon myth and not friends of man. The lore is so strong that elvin goblins are still believed to dwell underground in Iceland where locals really believe they exist and they claim to sight them the same way Americans sight bigfoot.

Well the elves in The Elder Scrolls are nothing like the elves portrayed in Lord of The Rings.

The High Elves are a race known for essentially being arrogant jerks who think every other race is beneath them including other elves. They see themselves as not being created by the gods but as being descended directly from the gods themselves and having been tricked out of their immortality. I think at one point they or their elvish ancestors had enslaved all other races of Nirn until they were overthrown by a human-led rebellion.

Also in the game Skyrim the High Elves built a Nazi-like government known as the Thalmor that nearly overthrew the Cyrodilic Empire and they have agents everywhere who capture people who break the law of worshiping Talos the God of Man.

They're kinda like a combination of the CCP and Kremlin by Skyrim's timeline. And yet just like in real life how not every Chinese or Russian person supports the CCP or the Kremlin there are plenty of High Elves who don't support the Thalmor and seem decent enough.

There's even a High Elf lady you can marry in Skyrim who at first comes across as a snob when you visit her fine clothing shop but then when you get to know her you find that she's not quite the Karen that her sister who runs the clothing shop with her is. She actually cares about trying to make her customers happy and she's open minded enough to consider marrying your character regardless of his or her race, which says a lot about her character given that high elves tend to never partake in interracial relationships. And since the only children you can adopt in Skyrim are all human she's even open to the idea of being an adoptive mother to raising human children. And she makes a pretty good mother who's not afraid to tell your character what she thinks about how to properly bring their children up. :lol:

This is some of her dialogue. I admit she's my favorite spouse in the game because of how brutally honest she is. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/hDZAAi9eU1w

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:00 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
That does sound interesting actually. Honestly the only two reasons why I never really liked Star Wars was because a) I'm not a fan of spaceships and aliens and b) I always felt sorry for those Stormtroopers getting mercilessly slaughtered by both the heroes and their leader Darth Vader.

The thing about mooks and henchmen of the villains being treated so callously by both sides always bothers me for some reason. :|

Have you ever watched any star trek? I mean I am not so interested in the original series from the 60's but like next generation or deep space 9 and I like the newest one star trek discovery. I mean I do kind of like star wars but I do feel the same about the storm troopers. I feel bad about them just getting slaughtered in mass.

But yeah in all the star treks they always try for more diplomatic means of solving conflicts and yeah I like that a lot, star wars is still kind of cool and I do enjoy it, but like say I was only allowed to see content from one for the rest of my life, I would certainly choose star trek.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
That does sound interesting actually. Honestly the only two reasons why I never really liked Star Wars was because a) I'm not a fan of spaceships and aliens and b) I always felt sorry for those Stormtroopers getting mercilessly slaughtered by both the heroes and their leader Darth Vader.

The thing about mooks and henchmen of the villains being treated so callously by both sides always bothers me for some reason. :|

Have you ever watched any star trek? I mean I am not so interested in the original series from the 60's but like next generation or deep space 9 and I like the newest one star trek discovery. I mean I do kind of like star wars but I do feel the same about the storm troopers. I feel bad about them just getting slaughtered in mass.

But yeah in all the star treks they always try for more diplomatic means of solving conflicts and yeah I like that a lot, star wars is still kind of cool and I do enjoy it, but like say I was only allowed to see content from one for the rest of my life, I would certainly choose star trek.

To be honest I never really watched Star Trek. When it comes to the fantasy genre I'm more into things set in the dark ages with magic and monsters etc. I'm also heavily into the classic horror genre. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 1:38 am

Star trek broke a lot of ground with casting PoC and a female cast.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 1:41 am

Every time I see this thread title I think it says “Had an episiotomy … “

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 2:14 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

To be honest I never really watched Star Trek. When it comes to the fantasy genre I'm more into things set in the dark ages with magic and monsters etc. I'm also heavily into the classic horror genre. :)

Fair enough idk i kind of lean towards crazy fantasy settings and stuff....but still like some sci-fi and star trek is one I like. But yeah I for sure kind of lean towards more fantasy stuff.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 02 Dec 2022, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 4:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Every time I see this thread title I think it says “Had an episiotomy … “

epistemology

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:30 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I haven't read what everyone else said, I only read your original comment and replied because I was touched by your thoughts :D

Yeah i ended up saying other things that I probably shouldn't have, as I often do when im upset and irrational.

But you seem to understand what I was trying to say. Thank you for that. :heart:

You're welcome and also human. People say things when they are upset and irrational.

I wish more people understood this, then instead of blaming others for 'saying nasty things', they might say 'hang on, that person was upset and irrational, I'll give them a bit of leeway.'

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 8:11 am

cyberdad wrote:

Oh yes, you mean Nichelle Nichols? :)

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2022, 12:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I read your first paragraph and wanted to say "Why do you only admire strong women?"

Is the picture random, or did Maisie Williams actually say that?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 2:48 am

Who is Maisie Williams?

Assuming she’s the woman in the picture, I have no idea. I was looking for a different meme that I’d seen before and that one popped up.

You’re using both accounts now?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:30 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Oh yes, you mean Nichelle Nichols? :)

Yes, On Star Trek, Nichols was one of the first Black women featured in a major television series. Her prominent supporting role as a bridge officer was unprecedented

I think when she and William Shatner kissed on screen in 1968 it was the first ever interracial kiss seen on US television. Just goes to show that living in America in the 1960s was like living in a alternate universe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 4:02 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Who is Maisie Williams?

?

Famous for playing Arya Stark. The little warrior girl in "Game of Thrones".

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2022, 4:37 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Who is Maisie Williams?

Assuming she’s the woman in the picture, I have no idea. I was looking for a different meme that I’d seen before and that one popped up.

You’re using both accounts now?

Sorry for not clarifying, I would if naturalplastic didn't first.

And what about this "both accounts" thing?