Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2023, 10:22 pm

They are on TV and also appearing on Reddit.

To me, a non believer, I am not sure they think its as effective as its creators think.

The ads roughly say "Jesus understands your problems" but with more specifics.

As someone that doesn't believe Jesus rose from the dead it doesn't convince me to run an ads that basically say "we think this dead dude gets you." They had one semi effective ad about not arguing with relatives over politics - but to me it was a miss because I don't talk to relatives because of HOW they argue about politics. I never want to talk about politics but they keep brining it up, and if you disagree with them they go right to personal insults.

To me they would be more effective if they were more like the "don't argue about politics" thing and less "this dead dude gets you."

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

Is this one of those Republican-extremist ads? :|

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 10:37 pm

I'm not a Christian myself but I have been wondering lately if these ads are only really popping up lately because of how hopeless the world feels these days to many people between the pandemic and climate change and the racial + class + gender tensions and World War 3 lurking around the corner?

I don't think there always has to be some sinister theocratic agenda behind what Christians do to try and convert others. At least not for the ones who really do seem to genuinenly care about "saving souls".

Besides with all this marxist propaganda BS infecting the internet lately I'm starting to grow suspicious of those who are identifying as atheist but are against religious freedom (which to me means freedom for ALL religions).

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2023, 11:36 pm

I don't have a TV, so do tell. :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 7:42 pm

My mom, my NT sister, and I are practicing Roman Catholics.
We've seen these ads and view them as recruitment from the Christian faith to get new believers.

Recently, I saw a poster that stated that the Founding Fathers used persecution to keep religious freedom intact.
However, the same poster mentioned that if it happened in the world of now, they would be shocked or amazed as to how much persecution of freedoms is happening in the world of now.

With the permission of any mod who reads this, I want to post a pic of this poster in this thread.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 9:20 pm

I saw one or two of the ads. Showed Hispanic gang members in East LA as examples of the folks "he gets". How the fact he gets them helps them any... isnt really explained, but yeah...gang bangers are individuals in need of understanding...I suppose.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 10:11 pm

Yes, I looked into this ad campaign after see a news story about it. They are independent of any religious denomination and want to spend $1B on this campaign. David Green (Hobby Lobby) is the only name known to be funding it, but there are others. They want to work against the waning religiosity of America. I am the target of these ads. Good luck Dave :roll:.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

I guess American Christians really damaged themselves when they decided to embrace an immoral maggot like Trump as their orange messiah and made themselves look like a fascist cult to the rest of the world as we watched with horror.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 11:18 pm

I’ve seen them.At least they aren’t all preachy and telling me I’m a sinner and going straight to hell.
If Jesus gets me he’ll show up with some wine and a fat oz.And a pizza, don’t forget the pizza.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 11:53 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I’ve seen them.At least they aren’t all preachy and telling me I’m a sinner and going straight to hell.
If Jesus gets me he’ll show up with some wine and a fat oz.And a pizza, don’t forget the pizza.

I definetly agree. These ads really aren't as terrible as they could be.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2023, 9:12 am

CarlM wrote:
Yes, I looked into this ad campaign after see a news story about it. They are independent of any religious denomination and want to spend $1B on this campaign. David Green (Hobby Lobby) is the only name known to be funding it, but there are others. They want to work against the waning religiosity of America. I am the target of these ads. Good luck Dave :roll:.

Hah yeah I recently went to (Catholic) church with my wife (she is practicing, I am agnostic) and all over the place where these posters with graphs showing declining church attendance and how the pandemic accelerated long run trends.

They are losing their minds over it because they know if it doesn't reverse they will have to start downsizing.

Personally, for me what knocked me over to the agnostic side was the mass graves in Canada. I mean that was just a few years ago they were killing kids. I have to wonder what they are getting away with in countries with weaker institutions such as Latin American countries or the Philippines.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2023, 9:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I saw one or two of the ads. Showed Hispanic gang members in East LA as examples of the folks "he gets". How the fact he gets them helps them any... isnt really explained, but yeah...gang bangers are individuals in need of understanding...I suppose.

Oh man!! That screams of the ads being made by old white guys who go, "we need an ethnic, lets get some Hispanic gang members in east LA so all ethnics will be able to relate!"

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 9:19 am

I can't think of a single religion that hasn't done atrocious things in the past and sometimes in the present too. Even "pagans" of various stripes were known to commit human sacriface (this is backed by evidence).

And it's not like atheism is all innocent either, look at the countries that enforced atheism on its citizens like the USSR and how they persecuted and executed Christians.

Maybe the problem isn't religion itself but the sinister darkness in the hearts of all humans who corrupt everything they touch? :skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 9:25 am

We humans have done bad things....but we've done good things, too.

I see people on the street every day. Those people are only thinking about making a living for themselves or their families. They don't have the TIME to think of evil things to do to other people.

Idleness is probably the reason why evil things are thought of in the first place. Hitler had a lot of free time after he was discharged from the German army.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 10:00 am

I've seen plenty of individuals who do good things. "People" not so much. It's humans as a collective who do the most harm.