Honest question: Is 'woke' culture a problem?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is the "woke left" as framed by conservatives toxic or not?
Very toxic. 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
Somewhat toxic. 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I'm conflicted. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Hardly toxic. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Not toxic at all. 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 34

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 9:17 am

Dear Wokesters, You Named Yourselves - Abe Greenwald for Commentary

Quote:
It’s time to let America’s amnesiac wokesters in on a secret: They embraced the term “woke.” They defined it, wrapped themselves in it, screamed it from the rooftops, and invested it with religious passion. The rest of us merely responded

The woke, having forgotten all this, are now charging conservatives with inventing or distorting the word and using it as a semi-racist right-wing bogeyman term. MSNBC’s Alex Wagner, for example, claims that conservatives know that woke ideas are “sensible” but don’t have to acknowledge as much if they don’t define the word. At the Washington Post, Philip Bump says, “‘Woke’ simply describes anything that is inherently alarming to the right.” Also at the Washington Post, Ashley Parker and Liz Goodwin write that “conservatives began using ‘woke’ in pejorative terms to undermine Black and liberal ideals,” and Candis Watts Smith, author of Stay Woke: A People’s Guide to Making All Black Lives Matter, says the that the word “evokes Black folks or Blackness” and “on other things [it] kind of spills over.” The association with race, she says, isn’t accidental?

There’s a lot of truth to these takes. But they’ve got the players all wrong. It’s the Left that believes woke policies are sensible. It’s the Left that has stretched the word to encompass a range of progressive ideas. And it’s the Left that warmed to the term in part because of its racial frisson.

In 2014, after the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, the #staywoke hashtag became a digital rallying cry around Black Lives Matter activism. Then, in the Trump years, progressives freed the slogan from its BLM context and deployed it wherever needed. Which is why you’d see pieces in the New York Times such as, “In Defense of ‘Woke,’” by Damon Young. In 2017, a photo of a baby wearing a “stay woke” sign at a Women’s March event went viral. Stacey Abrams spoke at something called the “stay woke” rally in 2018. When the pandemic hit in 2020, #stayhome #staywoke hashtags appeared on liberal Twitter. By the time George Floyd was killed by Derek Chauvin in Minneapolis, every white liberal interested in signaling his revolutionary sympathies was advertising his wokeness. As Aja Romano noted candidly in Vox in October 2020, “‘woke’ has evolved into a single-word summation of leftist political ideology, centered on social justice politics and critical race theory. This framing of ‘woke’ is bipartisan: It’s used as a shorthand for political progressiveness by the left, and as a denigration of leftist culture by the right.”

That’s right. Back then, both sides understood that wokeness had become a leftist catch-all term. Conservatives still do, but the Left decided to erase its own role in this history. Why? Because soon after 2020, wokeness became an embarrassment and a political liability. The country started to reject the widespread radical project. In November 2021, Republican Glenn Youngkin was elected governor of Virginia. At the time, Democratic strategist James Carville was asked what went wrong. “Well, what went wrong is this stupid wokeness,” he said. “Some of these people need to go to a woke detox center or something.”

But short of detox, there’s always wishful thinking. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded to Carville by claiming that “woke” was “a term almost exclusively used by older people these days.” The Left has been trying to fight the term ever since, pretending that it’s something cooked up by racist right wingers to discredit their opponents.

Sorry, wokesters. Live by the hashtag, die by the hashtag. It’s not our fault that you made yourselves easy targets of parody and derision.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 9:56 am

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2023, 9:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Damn.

If I had been put on the spot like this I would have said that woke describes a specific subset of social justice advocate who tends to be very angry, aggressive, sanctimonious, spiteful and vindictive in regards to how they treat people they disagree with on social issues.

I wouldn't have worded it that concisely when put on the spot but I don't think it's hard to define at all because whenever 'woke culture' is brought up this specific caricature tends to be highlighted.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:41 pm

The problem is "woke" is a poorly defined buzzword.

The instance in which we have an actual legal definition of "woke":
Woke is defined by the DeSantis administration as "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

I don't think that is toxic.

Are certain loud voices who align with that view toxic? Abso-freakin-lutely. I despise the cancel culture that is associated with that side. But going on the given definition, I also absolutely am more "woke" than not.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:45 pm

FlaminPika wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Damn.

If I had been put on the spot like this I would have said that woke describes a specific subset of social justice advocate who tends to be very angry, aggressive, sanctimonious, spiteful and vindictive in regards to how they treat people they disagree with on social issues.

I wouldn't have worded it that concisely when put on the spot but I don't think it's hard to define at all because whenever 'woke culture' is brought up this specific caricature tends to be highlighted.

I think part of the problem is that right-wingers don't use it with that meaning, they basically use it to describe disagreeing with them.

People being vindictive and spiteful over disagreements on social issues isn't limited to the left despite that seeming to be the popular trope.

https://www.advocate.com/news/drag-quee ... r-attacked
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/drag-que ... -1.6685395

Call me crazy but I'm more worried about violent thugs than whatever threat 'woke' culture poses. Most of the threat posed by 'woke' culture is really just half of the result of the current polarization. Relatively speaking 'woke' culture is harmless.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:46 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Woke is defined by the DeSantis administration as "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

Some people would define that as simply not having one's head in the sand/up one's backside.

Then again, to some portion of the population systemic injustice is a feature, not a bug.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FlaminPika

19 Mar 2023, 12:13 am

Quote:
I think part of the problem is that right-wingers don't use it with that meaning, they basically use it to describe disagreeing with them.

Is that so? I suppose this is the concern I have with such abstract colloquial terms. It's hard to know what someone means when they use it because it's so ill-defined.

Quote:
People being vindictive and spiteful over disagreements on social issues isn't limited to the left despite that seeming to be the popular trope.

Oh no doubt about that, I've had arguments with a fair number of conservatives as a result of them getting aggressive over little, fairly innocuous things I've said that they didn't like.

Quote:
Call me crazy but I'm more worried about violent thugs than whatever threat 'woke' culture poses. Most of the threat posed by 'woke' culture is really just half of the result of the current polarization. Relatively speaking 'woke' culture is harmless.

I definitely agree it's relative. Sometimes meeting the wrong 'woke' person can end up with you being fired from your job over a fairly innocuous situation. I'm not saying this happens an extraordinary amount of the time, but it does happen. Plus harassment, death threats, getting banned from platforms etc isn't pleasant.

But no, I definitely do agree with you. There are much worse problems out there for sure. But I really just wish everyone could stop fighting, set aside our differences, and form some sort of united humanitarian effort of some sort, but I suppose that would be an idealistic utopia.

FlaminPika

19 Mar 2023, 12:23 am

funeralxempire wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

Some people would define that as simply not having one's head in the sand/up one's backside.

Then again, to some portion of the population systemic injustice is a feature, not a bug.

Well this is pretty much what every leftist believes by default, which is part of why I attribute it to both that definition and an attitude/mindset. But my definition may be a bit too strict considering that not everyone considers the latter component a crucial aspect of it.

Urbandictionary's first definition is pretty great, I think. It explains what it means to be 'woke' in a way that highlights the particular toxic aspects of it that doesn't apply to every single leftist, because many leftists are actually capable of having contentious discussions pertaining to social issues without resorting to such toxicity.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woke

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 2:40 am

Quote:
Honest question: Is 'woke' culture a problem?

:chin:
Yes. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 2:43 am

FlaminPika wrote:
I'm asking this question not only hypothetically but also because it's a genuine question that's been on my mind. I myself am in the middle politically. I lean more towards the left, I suppose. I believe taxes should be distributed towards those who need help. I'm autistic myself and rely on support services to some extent because of my challenges. It would make no sense for me to support a right wing system which relies heavily on an unreliable charity system to support people like me. However on the opposite side, I do not feel like the left is anywhere near the movement that it should be ideally.

Honesty.
Kudos. 8)

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 8:17 am

FlaminPika wrote:

If the actions of the "woke" are as heinous as claimed, they shouldn't need to be artificially exaggerated via caricature in order to make the desired point.

OTOH, using a cookie-cutter caricature is a really convenient way to create a strawman opponent, and to make an easier script for the desired narrative being regurgitated. Keep criticizing the caricature rather than the actual situation, keep pounding the same nail over and over, keep going back to the strawman.

It's a bit difficult to discuss what's actually going on, when your opponent keeps wanting to talk about the cartoon they just drew, where they doodled a moustache devil horns and tail on someone they don't like, and are using that as "proof" of the supposed "villainy" taking place.

Lastly, as mentioned by a commentator in one of the videos - if your whole focus is "wokeness", then the question of "what is wokeness?" shouldn't blindside you - in the same way that "what books do you read?" isn't a hard question, if you read books. One might claim "stagefright", but that's kinda part of being on camera.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 9:51 am

^ Well said. :wtg:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2023, 9:35 pm

In terms of it's modern definition, I think the problem of woke culture has obtained such an open-ended meaning due to characterisations on the vaccuous areas of social media that it could be linked to any trivial cultural tripe. However, the culture wars, and anything associated with it, is a means of getting people focused on the more trivial matters of society and divide people from more pressing concerns like climate change and economic inequality. Woke culture could be attributed to people who are bothered about economic inequality but it has acquired such a bad, lazy and hazy definition that it creases to mean very much.

Woken culture has always been something conservatives throw around. They seem to have found a way to use the postmodern style to promote their own political agenda of demonising anything that smacks of social justice as woke. There is such a thing as the postmodern right and the postmodern left, both of which are harmful due to their neo-romanticism and focus on emotive symbols hich undermines any attempt to argue in a rational way.

In reality, Postmodernism is not exclusive to any political ideology. Nevertheless, Marx certainly wouldn't have approved given that he was an individual that extolled rationality above meaningless neoromantic diatribes based style over substance. But people forget that due to the rise of post-marxism and post- this and that..

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 12:34 am

The_Walrus wrote:
There are, of course, silly and outright wrong things that people advocate for in the name of social justice.

In practice it seems like the way the right use "woke" is to mean "anyone who disagrees with them about which things are bad or the extent of bad things".

As a centre-right liberal, personally I am much more concerned by the censorious, aggressive, anti-intellectual streak on the right than I am by its left-wing equivalent.

Woke culture isn't even the most concerning thing about the left. The far-left Stalin apologists are more concerning than the PC woke crowd.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 2:44 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
There are, of course, silly and outright wrong things that people advocate for in the name of social justice.

In practice it seems like the way the right use "woke" is to mean "anyone who disagrees with them about which things are bad or the extent of bad things".

As a centre-right liberal, personally I am much more concerned by the censorious, aggressive, anti-intellectual streak on the right than I am by its left-wing equivalent.

Woke culture isn't even the most concerning thing about the left. The far-left Stalin apologists are more concerning than the PC woke crowd.

Thankfully, there is no one like that here on WP.

The woke culture has been used to bully ppl/companies into submission, and some members use it to ride the wave of virtue-signalling with its associated euphoric feelings that are generated through self-righteous crusades.
Virtue-signalling/self-righteousness is addictive.
"Man's search for meaning" abused, in some cases. 8)

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 3:09 am

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
In terms of it's modern definition, I think the problem of woke culture has obtained such an open-ended meaning due to characterisations on the vaccuous areas of social media that it could be linked to any trivial cultural tripe. However, the culture wars, and anything associated with it, is a means of getting people focused on the more trivial matters of society and divide people from more pressing concerns like climate change and economic inequality. Woke culture could be attributed to people who are bothered about economic inequality but it has acquired such a bad, lazy and hazy definition that it creases to mean very much.

Woken culture has always been something conservatives throw around. They seem to have found a way to use the postmodern style to promote their own political agenda of demonising anything that smacks of social justice as woke. There is such a thing as the postmodern right and the postmodern left, both of which are harmful due to their neo-romanticism and focus on emotive symbols hich undermines any attempt to argue in a rational way.

In reality, Postmodernism is not exclusive to any political ideology. Nevertheless, Marx certainly wouldn't have approved given that he was an individual that extolled rationality above meaningless neoromantic diatribes based style over substance. But people forget that due to the rise of post-marxism and post- this and that..

That's exactly the problem with the woke ideology, it's discourse and epistemology are postmodernist. Nobody is against the idea of inclusivity and equality of opportunity but the way how these are framed by the wokes is pure lunacy. Yes there is also postmodernist right. A prime example of it, is the work of Alxander Dugin, Putin's principal ideologue. Postmodernism is loathsom in whichever way it expresses itself, left or right.