Florida Governer to expand don’t say gay to ALL grades???

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 2:48 pm

https://apnews.com/article/dont-say-gay ... f7d8ff65b6

I posted about this last year, although I didn’t realize beforehand that it was only for grades K-3.

But oh, boy could that change soon.

I’ll remind y’all what this would mean: educators at all grade levels would not be allowed to discuss sexual orientation or gender identity to students. It will be fair game for parents to teach their kids on that subject, including teaching them that it is wrong and that they’re going to hell or whatever.

I’m sure y’all get what I’m saying. Screw the mental health of LGBT youth because parents rights, babay!! !! !

DeSatan will soon pass this into law, other republican governors could very well follow suit. There’s nothing right about this.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 4:56 pm

Good news :thumright:

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 6:16 pm

This will definitely see legal challenges if it passes. And pushback from....just about anyone who isn't a republican. What do they expect queer teachers to do? Pretend to be straight? Never talk about their spouses if they are married?
For some reason, I'm guessing this bill doesn't forbid discussions of heterosexuality or sexual identities that correlate with assigned gender at birth...

What's next. Will we go back to the 60's and 70's when social conservatives opposed any and all sex education? They already barely tolerate abstinence-only sex ed.

Dengashinobi wrote:

Poe's Law prevents me from telling if you are serious.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 9:52 pm

Ron DeSantis’s Illiberal Education Crusade

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 9:57 pm

DeSantis is hoping to cancel queer kids. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 10:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DeSantis is hoping to cancel queer kids. :lol:
my guess is that parental rights is so much more important to DeSantis and his supporters that they’re blatantly overseeing everything else, like the risk of a gay teen killing his/herself bc they have homophobic parents and there isn’t any help at school.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 6:07 am

roronoa79 wrote:
This will definitely see legal challenges if it passes. And pushback from....just about anyone who isn't a republican. What do they expect queer teachers to do? Pretend to be straight? Never talk about their spouses if they are married?
For some reason, I'm guessing this bill doesn't forbid discussions of heterosexuality or sexual identities that correlate with assigned gender at birth...

What's next. Will we go back to the 60's and 70's when social conservatives opposed any and all sex education? They already barely tolerate abstinence-only sex ed.
Dengashinobi wrote:

Poe's Law prevents me from telling if you are serious.

Yes, I'm completely serious. I understand the worry about the possible disatvantages of not informing kids about non heterosexual sexualities or about people with gender dysphoria. I believe this is an important knowledge that kids should have access to. But I don't believe in the postmodernist framing of these topics. I don't believe in genders other than male and female for example. The postmodernist gender "studies" are more akin to a cult. I am against teaching cults in schools.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 10:01 pm

So-called 'Don't Say Gay' rules expanded through 12th grade in Florida

Quote:
The Florida Board of Education has voted to expand restrictions on classroom instruction related to sexual orientation and gender identity.

"This amendment prohibits classroom instruction to students in pre-kindergarten through Grade 3 on sexual orientation or gender identity. For Grades 4 through 12, instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity is prohibited unless such instruction is either expressly required by state academic standards ... or is part of a reproductive health course or health lesson for which a student’s parent has the option to have his or her student not attend," according to the amendment.

This rule would build on the Parental Rights in Education law Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed in March 2022. The law bans classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity for students in kindergarten through third grade.

It also states that any instruction on those topics cannot occur "in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards," according to the legislation.

Critics of these restrictions argue that "everyone has a sexual orientation and a gender identity. It looks like this rule would make it impossible to do much instruction at all," Laura McGinnis, of the LGBTQ advocacy group PFLAG, previously told ABC News.

At the Wednesday hearing, the public debated the bill before the board.

Critics argued that the bill will censor speech and stop people from talking about their identities due to its vague descriptions on "instruction" and "gender identity and sexual orientation."

One teacher who spoke at the meeting argued that she fields questions about gender identity and sexual orientation regularly, because students "felt safe to ask me because they trusted me as a teacher and their parents, who opt into sex education for their child, trusted me to answer them. Please understand, if students do not get their questions answered either by their trusted teachers or by those parents that are willing to talk with our children, they will likely find the answers from their peers or the internet with dubious safety inaccuracy."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Florida Governer to expand don’t say gay to ALL grades???

I believe this is NOT what the legislation says.
It is the bastardization of the terminology used.
Just sayin'. ;)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 3:05 am

Isn't Miami in Florida?

A city full of gay men spending their gay dollars helping fund the state and this dipshit thinks it's ok to try to cancel LGBT people by pretending we don't exist. What a piece of s**t.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 3:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Isn't Miami in Florida?

A city full of gay men spending their gay dollars helping fund the state and this dipshit thinks it's ok to try to cancel LGBT people by pretending we don't exist. What a piece of s**t.

Disney probably helps fund the state more than LGBT people, that has not stopped him.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Apr 2023, 2:10 pm

Horrific. A good governor would have, and this is a low bar, looked at the impact that similar laws have had in other places, like the UK, and then not done this.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 6:35 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Horrific. A good governor would have, and this is a low bar, looked at the impact that similar laws have had in other places, like the UK, and then not done this.

He won't let people say gay, but he'll let people say all the derogatory slurs for LGBT+ people, because you know, religious freedom.

Nobody believed me when I said it wouldn't stop with abortion.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 7:07 pm

I've flagged this in my WP special series

"Sign of the times"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 7:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DeSantis is hoping to cancel queer kids.
Forbidding people to talk about a "problem" does not make the "problem" go away.

DeSantis sees gender fluidity as a "problem".  He cannot make it go away, so he is trying to push it back into the closet.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 7:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DeSantis is hoping to cancel queer kids.
Forbidding people to talk about a "problem" does not make the "problem" go away.

DeSantis sees gender fluidity as a "problem".  He cannot make it go away, so he is trying to push it back into the closet.

Except he is enacting powers to sack teachers who say "gay"