Page 15 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 6:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
Bethany Mandel, a prominent conservative author of many anti-woke literature and the most prominet campaigner against CRT in schools finds herself in a bit of a bind when after writing hundreds of articles she was asked.....to define wokeness....and here's her response

My response :roll:

I mean this must be the final nail in the coffin for the intellectual basis for the anti-woke movement.
They just make white Americans look stupid

You are hardly being fair.
Just because there is one inarticulate person on the right that can't define "woke" doesn't mean there aren't better speakers out there.

You are showing your bias.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 10:13 am

It's proof she doesn't use the term in any coherent manner, reducing woke to a buzzword that means anything that makes conservatives whiny.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 11:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Bethany Mandel, a prominent conservative author of many anti-woke literature and the most prominet campaigner against CRT in schools finds herself in a bit of a bind when after writing hundreds of articles she was asked.....to define wokeness....and here's her response

My response :roll:

I mean this must be the final nail in the coffin for the intellectual basis for the anti-woke movement.
They just make white Americans look stupid

What coffin? All those “anti woke” laws recently passed are still on the books. I just have a bit of trouble believing because Ms. Mandel get owned big time every anti woke or person not quite fully woke are saying “OMG I was wrong, Kendi and DeAngelo are right, I am so sorry, where is best place to give reparations?”

Pepe wrote:
Just because there is one inarticulate person on the right that can't define "woke" doesn't mean there aren't better speakers out there.

You are not being fair either. Maybe she had a moment that went viral. Maybe she is inarticulate. I have no idea. I have never heard of this person until now and strongly suspect most Americans have not heard of her either. That is another reason why I doubt this is a turning point in the “woke” controversy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 1:54 pm

George Washington University to replace controversial 'Colonials' moniker

Quote:
While a slew of professional and collegiate athletic teams have recently changed their names to do away with racially charged titles, George Washington University has joined the move by changing the nickname for its teams.

Known as "Colonials," the university's sports teams were the source of controversy when students said the name had a negative connotation regarding violence toward Native Americans and other colonized people.

The original list of replacement names started at 10, and in what the school is calling "Moniker Madness," the campus community has narrowed the options to four after receiving "nearly 20,000 points of feedback from the GW community," according to a news release.

The final four nickname options narrowed down during the "First Impressions" phase of decisions are "Ambassadors," "Blue Frog," "Revolutionaries" and "Sentinels."

The next phase, "Try It on For Size," which runs from March 20 to April 28, will include feedback from students, faculty, staff and alumni. During this phase, the community will have a chance to view "hype videos" of each name option and be able to select branded merchandise for each moniker option.

I assume “Colonials” was not one of the options. If it was I would have been curious to see how many votes it would gotten and are curoius to know how many write in votes “Colonials” received.

Editors Note:
This does not exactly fit in the “woke” category as the university is making this fun. Wokeism is about hectoring or do the work or else. OTHD this is not a good fit for tearing down Confederate Monuments thread either. And I did not feel like adding another thread about name changes. But it has enough in common with Wokeism to make it an imperfect fit so here it is.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's proof she doesn't use the term in any coherent manner, reducing woke to a buzzword that means anything that makes conservatives whiny.

This is what I suspect, her entire thesis for the body of work pivots over the word woke. It's like Sigmund Freud being at a loss for words over the word unconcious. It would never happen.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
What coffin? All those “anti woke” laws recently passed are still on the books. I just have a bit of trouble believing because Ms. Mandel get owned big time every anti woke or person not quite fully woke are saying “OMG I was wrong, Kendi and DeAngelo are right, I am so sorry, where is best place to give reparations?”

The laws are not based on "intellectual input" they are 100% political
The whole premise of banning CRT is false (you know that) as CRT is not taught from K1 -K12 education in the US

It's like passing a law to ban calculus from being taught in kindergarten :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 6:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[

The whole premise of banning CRT is false (you know that) as CRT is not taught from K1 -K12 education in the US

It's like passing a law to ban calculus from being taught in kindergarten :roll:

Right Wing academics such as Christopher Rufo are influential in the anti woke backlash. You can be political and intellectual at the same time. That is what think tanks are about.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2023, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
I love belko61 wrote:
... Apathy has created this mess - it's time to make a choice and stand by it. What kind of a person are you?
The kind of person who used to get involved in causes only to get exploited and burned by those in charge.

Never again.  Got a cause?  Good luck with it.  Let me know how it turns out.

Agreed. The very few times I tried to even get someone to change their mind, I’d get my fat f!cking arse handed to me.

Nowadays, I’d rather stay behind the locked doors of my apartment and watch cartoons, waiting to drop dead!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 2:18 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[

Right Wing academics such as Christopher Rufo are influential in the anti woke backlash. You can be political and intellectual at the same time. That is what think tanks are about.

Think tanks funded by right wing conservatives are not intellectual. Take Praeger University for example.

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2023, 1:20 pm

And The Daily Wire, and Rebel Media, and Fox News, and the vast majority of reactionary Youtube channels that I've been seeing. It's all very anti-intellectual in nature. I don't know how much better the left wing side of things is either though. Unbiased news seems very hard to find. But most of these sources don't even pretend to be unbiased.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 6:48 pm

What exactly is a left wing biased media source?
The Guardian?
Vice media?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The Guardian?
Vice media?

The Serfs, The Young Turks, Vaush?

Which is to say relatively small, online outlets.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:

You are not being fair either. Maybe she had a moment that went viral. Maybe she is inarticulate. I have no idea. I have never heard of this person until now and strongly suspect most Americans have not heard of her either. That is another reason why I doubt this is a turning point in the “woke” controversy.

I agree.
She is NOT a good example and shouldn't be used as a representative of ppl who have a problem with "woke" culture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The Guardian?
Vice media?

I don't even watch those? does that mean my so called "left wing bias" is a sign of...*gasp*...independent critical thinking!! 8O

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The Guardian?
Vice media?

I don't even watch those? does that mean my so called "left wing bias" is a sign of...*gasp*...independent critical thinking!! 8O

I'd argue it might be little more than someone's right-wing bias causing them to fail to notice blatant centrism.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 7:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
I agree.
She is NOT a good example and shouldn't be used as a representative of ppl who have a problem with "woke" culture.

She is actually quite articulate, very intelligent and (beyond wokeness) otherwise intellectual. I am not sure why you are trying to cancel her?

Charles Murray who authored "the bell curve" made massive assumptions about IQ/race and totally ridiculed for making erroneous correlations. He rightly was called out. But that doesn't mean he wasn't an intellectual. His book "Coming Apart, The State of White America" is outstanding and in 2012 he accurately predicted the current fracturing of white America and the rise of right wing demagogues like Trump.