Well he's a really poor salesman DHB

Maybe you should do the job

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2024, 1:50 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
It's a half-baked idea.

There are some European nations that have conscription. They can be divided into three categories:

- countries that border Russia, or are Russia
- countries that are, or until recently were, neutral, and therefore responsible for their own defence
- Greece and Cyprus (half of Cyprus is currently occupied by Turkiye)

The UK is not in such a precarious position. We would be better off building up our professional military.

I could go on criticising the various aspects of the scheme, but the most important detail is that the Tories are going to lose the election and nothing they say matters.

I feel like throwing my shoes at the telly every time I see or hear him

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2024, 1:51 pm

babybird wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It's a half-baked idea.

There are some European nations that have conscription. They can be divided into three categories:

- countries that are, or until recently were, neutral, and therefore responsible for their own defence

The UK is not in such a precarious position. We would be better off building up our professional military.

I could go on criticising the various aspects of the scheme, but the most important detail is that the Tories are going to lose the election and nothing they say matters.

He is well past his expiry date in terms of being relatable in any way to the electorate, if he ever was relatable in the first place, that is.

SpiritCreeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2024, 4:52 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It's a half-baked idea.

He is well past his expiry date in terms of being relatable in any way to the electorate, if he ever was relatable in the first place, that is.

Assuming you're talking about Sunak, I'd be very happy if he was shown the door before he makes the country worse.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 6:05 am

It’s a silly idea designed to appeal to an older generation unable to come to terms with fact society has changed.

National Service existed as part of a wider culture of nationalism, less individualism and choices of early mid 20th century.

All these factors are gone and unlikely to come back.

Also 12 months is a long time to steal in a young persons life. That person could be training or studying for a career.

Instead they’ll be digging pointless trenches in some field and learning how to march.

Something that won’t help them at all, cost the country, won’t improve military performance and waste everyone’s time.

- George Bernie Shaw

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 6:45 am

SpiritCreeper wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It's a half-baked idea.

Assuming you're talking about Sunak, I'd be very happy if he was shown the door before he makes the country worse.

I was indeed talking about Sunak!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 8:42 am

babybird wrote:
Personally I don't agree with it but I do think that joining the army etc should be made more of a career option for young people

What do you think about that then?

Personally, I prefer the militia system of part-time soldiers instead of a full-time standing army buts thats just me.However thats only my perfect world.I want the military budget to be drastically cut dont get me wrong I would still want enough of a national defense so we would most likely need a permanent army.I would only be for the draft into a standing army if it was the only way we could keep America safe.However as a libertarian I dont believe in the draft unless its emergency.