Page 9 of 14 [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

Choose one of following:
I am very concerned about the preservation of white heritage/race 8%  8%  [ 16 ]
I believe the above concern is unfounded and racist 54%  54%  [ 104 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but SOME people take it too far 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
I think the view in option #1 raises some good issues, but MANY people take it too far 8%  8%  [ 15 ]
show me the money (view results) 17%  17%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 192

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

I am not racist, but I have been accused of saying racist things- as well as "sexist" and "homophobic" I know there is a group of people that say autistic people are incapable of bigotry. But that is highly incorrect. It has to do with environment ,mostly. I don't hate anyone, and I try hard to like everybody.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2015, 3:19 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Everyone in the entire world is racist to a certain degree, but I think people on the spectrum tend to be less racially biased than NT's due to being more independently minded and unconventional.

I am autistic, and I consider myself highly conventional! I go to church on Sundays and I have strong moral/Christian beliefs. I don't believe in drinking, cursing, or using recreational drugs. Being a musician, this puts me at odds with a lot of other musicians who are into that type of behavior. Tattoos are hideous. The irony is, people who claim to be independently minded are conformists in their own way.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm

Aniihya wrote:

You say people are racist to a certain degree. But I cannot see how I could be or why I should be. The whole race debate is super annoying simply because of things that are irrational in my mind such as nationalism or treating someone differently because of traits.

Buy a home then you will fear "the wrong people" moving near you.

Just one bad apple can destroy your neighborhood.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm

Which is worse?

Asking a meaningless question like "are theyre many autistics who are racists?", or reviving a six year old thread devoted to that question.

If all autism spectrum folks were indeed racists, and if only two percent of NTs were racists, then the total number of NT racists would still be greater than the total number of autistic racists because ASD folks are only about 1.5 percent of the population.

The question to ask is "is theyre more racism among autistic spectrum people per capita than among NTs?".

My guess would be that being autistic would cut both ways: make you sympathize with those who are different, but it ASD factors might also drive someone towards intolerance of others. So it would cancel out. And the degree of racist attitudes among AS folks would probably be about the same as the general population.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

I have found that simple blunt autistic objective honesty can be viewed as being racist...
Political correctness on steroids...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 5:59 pm

ryan93 wrote:
But I think that preserving culture in general is important, and not just white culture; Every culture is valuable and should be preserved. But I don't see skin colour as a factor in preserving culture, an Indian girl can be as British as a white person imo. But I think if someone moves to a country they should adopt that culture, as I don't like the idea of national cultures being diluted to the point that visiting england is the same as visiting france, apart from the language difference

No criticism to you but...;)
I'm not a tribalist/culturalist...
It is my belief there would be much less conflict in the world without tribalism...

I am aware (strongly believe) that tribalism/racism is simply an inherent by-product of the evolutionary process in many, if not most, but the intellect can manage the more primal reptilian/instinctual aspects of that part of the human psyche...

Having said that, I agree with you in regards to assimilating into a community you have chosen to move into.
If you don't like it, don't come...
Simples...

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:21 pm

Everybody on the planet has prejudice, xenophobia, and racism within them. Anybody who says otherwise is incapable of being truly honest with themselves.

Branding it with a mark of shame only breeds further resentment and does nobody any good. It does need to be dealt with, but there are level-headed ways of going about it for most people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:24 pm

I'm married to a black woman. And I'm on the Spectrum.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2015, 10:23 pm

Why do people assume only Caucasions can be racist? Racism is racism. I don't see why the poll was put in the perspective of white supremacy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 1:22 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Why do people assume only Caucasions can be racist? Racism is racism. I don't see why the poll was put in the perspective of white supremacy.

"Okinawans are actually a separate ethnic group, known as Ryukyuan, and they’re just one of many minorities in Japan who have long faced discrimination. Many Okinawans have painful memories of abuse by Japanese soldiers during World War II. It’s still not uncommon in Tokyo today for a landlord to refuse to rent to someone who’s Okinawan — or Chinese. Or Korean. Or white."
http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-05-12/h ... ble-racism

Better?... :mrgreen:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 1:09 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

because the OP carries the laughable belief that the main source of racism is white people

only the painfully ignorant would have this belief

it is easy to find racism rampant in every group of humans against another group

as if some blacks don't hate whites

as if some Arabs don't hate blacks

as if some Indians don't hate Arabs

and so on and so on

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

I would say I am racist.

I would never buy a house if I saw black people, poor people, or non-English speaking people living in the area.

However, you don't have to be an overt racist.

Just tell your realtor: "I want to live in a city with virtually no crime" and that is equivalent to saying "no black cities, no poor people cities, and no non-English speaking cities". At least this how I see it in Michigan.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 3:55 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

I'd guess the poll assumes only white people are reading or will vote.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
I would say I am racist.

I would never buy a house if I saw black people, poor people, or non-English speaking people living in the area.

Just tell your realtor: "I want to live in a city with virtually no crime" and that is equivalent to saying "no black cities, no poor people cities, and no non-English speaking cities". At least this how I see it in Michigan.

Puedes correr, pero no puedes esconderte.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 6:53 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
I would say I am racist.

Puedes correr, pero no puedes esconderte.

qué?

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
After seeing certain threads over time I'm wondering if there is a significant proportion of AS/autistics who hold racist views. Or, to use their language, are very concerned about "preserving white heritage" (and/or "preserving the white race").

Or is there a "silent majority" who thinks/feels otherwise?

I'm imagining controversial views are more common here due to less concern about the social pressures of holding such views, and are probably a more accurate reflection of what society thinks. OTOH, does social difficulty functioning in the world tend to foster such views? Or is that irrelevant? Black & white thinking or empathy a factor? Or extreme views just tending spark a lot of discussion?

I am confused. There are a number of distinct European cultures (not just the already distinctive Celtic and Germanic cultures within the British Isles, a region that has known many waves of immigration through the centuries) that could be understood in a broad sense as white, most of which have drawn upon and been enriched by traditions that historically are connected neither with the continent of Europe nor with some abstract "Caucasian" identity, which considering that Persian and Indian languages are linguistically akin to the diverse family to which branches as diverse as the various forms of Greek, Latin and the Romance languages, Celtic languages such as Welsh and various forms of Gaelic, and Germanic languages like Dutch, English and German itself, and given the historic influence of Judaeo-Christian, or more broadly speaking Abrahamic faith-traditions from the Near and Middle East/Western Asia and parts of eastern North Africa) upon so much of European history, and given the on the whole positive and vital though complex impact of so many cultures on the post-conquest histories of the USA, Canada, the numerous Latin American nations, and Australia and New Zealand, for example, I am somewhat at a loss as to what could possibly be meant by "white" culture or heritage in any simple sense. Apart from anything else, sometimes European cultures other than Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ones have sometimes historically been considered "white", sometimes not. Are we talking an interest in one's ancestors and knowledge of one's homeland's history, a fanatical but misguided zeal for protecting so historically an "impure" language as English from any more loan words, opposing restaurants that serve cuisine from nations disapproved of, or card carrying membership of something so irrational, deluded and criminal as the Ku Klux Klan? Not being sarcastic, I wish these definitions made clear. And for the record I thought the statement was racist, but that may have been hasty and judgmental on my part.