Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 11:46 pm

I'm gonna let it out and hope this is the last time I have to do it. I grew up a mormon and I can't tell you the ways I resent that upbeinging. I was born a believer, literally, one of the AS traits is believing everything I hear and I have it bad. It's no wonder that an institution that told me I had to know for a fact that joseph smith was a true prophet or end up dammed drove me up the wall. I never met the guy, never say his vision, how am I supposed to know if it happened or not? What I do know is that being taught never to make a mistake made me a person who would lie about making them in order to avoid punishment.

Every sunday I used to pray to God for forgivness because I was a chronic masturbator (I'll just call TMI on myself here). And every little thing you could do to not worry about your deviant behavior was countered with deeper threats of damnation. I know this is sounding like a sob story, and to be honest, other people I know were more traumatized by the experience. What it boils down to is that I couldn't be a basic human being until I was married, I had to be ashamed of my urges.

Does their god not realize that maslow's hierarchy of human needs exists for a reason? This doesn't even scratch the surface of why I don't like the place, but I got my thoughts out and that's what I'm here to do. I can't apologize for the offense that a mormon would feel for this ranting, I don't feel ashamed of this resentment, it's there for a reason.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 12:03 am

Mormonism as a religion has some odd components that I'm troubled by, but just about all the Mormons I've met are pretty cool people.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 12:42 am

Here in Helsinki, quite a few years ago, a bunch of Mormon kids went around proselytizing and regularly stopped off for cocoa at my place. They seemed decent enough and gave me their book which, like almost all religious tracts, is full of some good intentions and a huge amount of fantastic imaginative nonsense. There was, of course, nothing I could say to convince them to think clearly about reality but they were quite civil. I felt sorry for them but I could not help.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 12:48 am

MDD123 wrote:
I'm gonna let it out and hope this is the last time I have to do it. I grew up a mormon and I can't tell you the ways I resent that upbeinging. I was born a believer, literally, one of the AS traits is believing everything I hear and I have it bad. It's no wonder that an institution that told me I had to know for a fact that joseph smith was a true prophet or end up dammed drove me up the wall. I never met the guy, never say his vision, how am I supposed to know if it happened or not? What I do know is that being taught never to make a mistake made me a person who would lie about making them in order to avoid punishment.

Every sunday I used to pray to God for forgivness because I was a chronic masturbator (I'll just call TMI on myself here). And every little thing you could do to not worry about your deviant behavior was countered with deeper threats of damnation. I know this is sounding like a sob story, and to be honest, other people I know were more traumatized by the experience. What it boils down to is that I couldn't be a basic human being until I was married, I had to be ashamed of my urges.

Does their god not realize that maslow's hierarchy of human needs exists for a reason? This doesn't even scratch the surface of why I don't like the place, but I got my thoughts out and that's what I'm here to do. I can't apologize for the offense that a mormon would feel for this ranting, I don't feel ashamed of this resentment, it's there for a reason.
That's not mixed feelings on mormonism, that's pretty clear cut... and I agree! I also had terrible guilt growing up in the Catholic church, so it's not limited to mormons... though the fact that Joseph Smith can be proved by proper application of the historical method to have been a con artist certainly helps explode the claims of mormonism. Did you know the "book" has changed several times since he allegedly "translated" it?

Anyway... I'm glad that you're married, and no longer have to feel bad about your natural urges.

Also, I've discovered that God isn't what people in a box tells you that He is. I am still a Christian, but I don't believe in any "isms" any more.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 11:28 am

Well, at the very least Mormons hardly take a decisive part in politics, leaving them alone and them leaving us alone (most of the time) is pretty much ok.... No? I mean we already have to deal with all the religious nutcases (Jehovah's witnesses.... etc)

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 12:15 pm

Sorry, I mixed the dalogue a little (past tense, present tense, future tense, my english teachers never got it into me). I'm not married, but I don't feel ashamed of taking care of peronal needs (hey, everyone finds a way). I have to agree though, mormons are taught to avoid conflict and that's a useful skill to have, I'm just glad I can realize the rest of the religion for what it is. I've lived a better life since I found out the church wasn't true.

Catholicism is a pretty big mystery to me, it must've been pretty intense (I watch a lot of movies).

The coolest mormons are the ones who forget that they're mormons half the time, that facebook quiz said I was still 25% mormon, that's a number I can live with.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 1:00 pm

Do you have a link to the quiz, by any chance? I like those kinds of statistics.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 5:49 pm

http://apps.facebook.com/howmormonarekzqlpa/

There's the site, I need to learn how to add the link myself one of these days.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 9:16 am

Mormonism was a religion created by a guy who had his own agenda. The foundations of the faith are not only made up, but they are unverifiable as only Mr. Smith was the ones who could read the sacred text.

Mormons loose many of their members every year, and I believe many of its founding members renounced the religion when they were alive. They have the audacity to call themselves a "new testament" of Jesus Christ, but their teachings contradict the Bible which God does not do.

They also have messed up ideas such as where you stand in the next life depends on how much wealth and status you get in this life. They also teach that only 144,000 people will be saved...yet they have millions of members, right?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 11:06 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Mormonism was a religion created by a guy who had his own agenda. The foundations of the faith are not only made up, but they are unverifiable as only Mr. Smith was the ones who could read the sacred text.

Mormons loose many of their members every year, and I believe many of its founding members renounced the religion when they were alive. They have the audacity to call themselves a "new testament" of Jesus Christ, but their teachings contradict the Bible which God does not do.

They also have messed up ideas such as where you stand in the next life depends on how much wealth and status you get in this life. They also teach that only 144,000 people will be saved...yet they have millions of members, right?

Most of what you're saying is right. But the 144,000 sounds more like Calvinism and not related to any teaching I've heard. Although I might need to do some more research, when js started the religion, he had to borrow heavily from other sources and it was only through a process of careful refinement that the church leaders were able to make a palatable religion. I just thought I'd point that out because mormons are quick to defend their religion and they won't hesitate to create unecessary drama when they come under scrutiny.

I'm kind of relieved ot hear that they're losing members though. It sounds mean spirited, but I have so many trust and control issues that have started with that religion that I want to see them lose that power. I want to see them lose that smug sense of satisfaction that comes from telling other people that they're too stupid to think for themselves. I have a hard time explaining why it bothers me so much. I take it you've had the missionaries on your front door too? They're so friendly that you don't want to turn them away, but the message is so wrong and they don't reason with you, they just remain oblivious, it's their training but annoying nonetheless.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 11:09 am

Question, are Mormons secluded to the USA? Because i don't remember seeing them elsewhere in the world. ;P

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

phil777 wrote:
Question, are Mormons secluded to the USA? Because i don't remember seeing them elsewhere in the world. ;P

They are all over the world.

It seems to be a racist religion. I have never met a dark-skinned Mormon, they are all white.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jul 2009, 11:23 am

dude im a worryier just like you. i wanna make shure im right with god before i die because burning or being tormented forever just doent sound cool at all. yes this means in dont know what the answer is

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 7:27 pm

richardbenson wrote:
dude im a worryier just like you. i wanna make shure im right with god before i die because burning or being tormented forever just doent sound cool at all. yes this means in dont know what the answer is

I've drawn the helfire connection with joseph smith's reactions to women who resisted his advances, it's a sign that the church isn't getting what they want. You can note they also promise hellfire for people who don't pay their tithing. I don't think anyone will burn for calling bs on that.

As far as being racist, they welcome all races, but expect their members to act white. Most minorities who I see joining the church have little sense of racial identification (or act white). They have a soft-paternalistic approach where they discourage rap music and act very disapproving of other cultural norms, most people who aren't white just don't feel like being around this group (and I can't blame them).