Page 2 of 19 [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 7:00 am

I can say that the major problem with California schools is that they allow illegals to put their kids in them. That move means people who don't pay enough in taxes get free state services (not just education) and the schools have to cater to these kids by teaching them in their own language rather than mandating they learn English.

The cost these schools operate at to accommodate people here illegally in the first place is staggering, and other states making the same stupid moves are seeing their costs go through the roof as well.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2009, 9:56 am

claire333 wrote:
One of my greatest fears is a breakdown in society...

Its been happening for a couple of decades in the LA area. A once greatly touted education system is now in rubble. Many states spend far less money per student and get better results. And, the health system is a mess. Try going to the emergency room with an actual emergency in LA.

And, with LA under-reporting its crime statistics by up to 40% its hard for an average citizen to get the full picture of the City of Angels.

The Singaporean has mentioned going to LA for film school in previous posts. I think he has done plenty of homework already.

I live in the Southeast US and we have already seen some of the effects of the economic problems in Michigan. Michigan has been hit by hard times for quite a while. Michigan gang members and criminals have been traveling outside their state, even down south to commit crimes and then take their booty back up to their home state.

If this is any indication of what happens when criminals have no one else to rob then it might be a good idea to go over some basics of home security and what to do in the case of an emergency.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 9:57 am

Quote:
I can say that the major problem with California schools is that they allow illegals to put their kids in them.

Well, if an agricultural community has lots of lettuce pickers, one of the costs generated by the businesses that created these jobs is the schooling for the workers' kids. Likewise, if a factory is creating jobs and hiring people, those workers are going to use services. Their immigration status isn't that much of a factor.

In most places, real estate taxes are the biggest source of revenue for schools. If someone owns a house, they pay real estate taxes. If someone rents, they pay real estate taxes (indirectly, through their landlord). If they don't pay state income tax, their employers are to blame ... the employer has a legal mandate to do so. If they don't pay sales tax, it would be the store that is committing tax fraud. Even if the workers were documented citizens and paying taxes, they are on the bottom end of the economic ladder, and may not pay in as much as they take out. Really, it is a case of the economic development model in place.

Having classes taught in Spanish doesn't add much to the cost - a teacher might get a small bonus in their paycheck, but the total increase isn't that much.

Seems that if this is a problem, the root is the fact that a community has lots of low-income jobs, and the employers are not following the tax laws. And Prop 13 deserves some credit.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:17 am

The belief system of the American economic and financial establishment comfortably predicts a recovery after an economic shock. After a period of reduced economic activity and rising unemployment, everything will get back on track and everyone can enjoy full employment again. That is how it has always been and this is how they think the present crisis will eventually track. I think that as bad as things may seem they are going to get worse. The problem is that the base of the American economy is fundamentally wrong. America runs a massive trade deficit not because other countries have a surplus of savings or that they manipulate their currencies and thus make it impossible to balance trade flows, but for the simple reason that America has nothing to sell to the rest of the world.

What does America actually make that the rest of the world wants? Actually what does America still make aside from jet airplanes and war machines? I find it hard to come up with a decent list of world beating made in America goods that can be sold profitably to consumers outside of the United States.

If America has no goods it can sell, then it must invent securities which the rest of the world will buy. But after the cruel hoaxes of one bubble following another, the world is fresh out of dummies that are willing to buy into broken American promises.

There seems to be no way out of this predicament. Still the people who have been laid off have been hanging onto any thread of hope because they too believe in America. And yet everyday delivers fresh evidence that their faith has been in vain as more unemployed people jostle with them for the same minimum wage jobs. Those who do get the minimum wage jobs are the lucky one. Everyone else sits on a ticking time bomb as they draw the last of the unemployment benefits and max out their credit cards. By now the first casualty of the subprime credit crisis will be in this position of utter desperation. Their ranks will only grow.

I recommend the AK-47 because it is intimidating and fatal even in the hands of a complete newbie. Unlike handguns, semi-automatic rifles do not require much training which is why it is the experienced army officer who carries the handgun but the disposal infantryman who carries the rifle. I say this only half in jest because the dislocations which have grown more serious are showing signs that they will get much worse. Unemployment in California according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics was 11.5% for May 2009. I believe that it is a virtual certainty that the number will climb to around 15%. Finally, I focus on California because a) they deserve it for being so ignorant and profligate, b) talking about places like Detroit or Charlotte is just downright cruel, c) and finally, California actually represents in the purest form the sort of economic structures which have created America as we know it today.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:33 am

Zeno wrote:
America runs a massive trade deficit ... for the simple reason that America has nothing to sell to the rest of the world.

Not true - we sold goods and services to the world valued at $1,826,596,000,000 in 2008, but our imports exceeded that by ~30%.

US exports have shown a general pattern of steady growth over the past 3 decades, but the imports have grown faster. That is the problem.

This overspending is tied to many factors (strong dollar, consumer debt, etc) and a correction can and will happen. It won't be fun, but it won't be the end of the world.

Zeno wrote:
I recommend the AK-47 because it is intimidating and fatal even in the hands of a complete newbie. Unlike handguns, semi-automatic rifles do not require much training

I recommend shotguns and revolvers for home defense (as do most people that know anything about weapons). A shotgun can be used inside a house with relatively little danger to household members in other rooms, or neighbors. A shotgun fires a spray of pellets that expands, and does not require perfect aim. Even in the darkness, in area where one cannot be seen, the sound of a pump shotgun being chambered is intimidating. An AK-47 or M-16 round will go through every wall in the average house in the US, and one or two walls of the next-door neighbor.

A good revolver is the height of simplicity and reliability - it requires little training, and is unlikely to misfeed, jam, or malfunction in the way any semi-auto may (the AK is quite reliable for a semi-automatic, but is more complicated and requires more familiarization). Handguns also of value in tight spaces, and can be carried for back-up in addition to a long gun. Revolvers are like simple cameras - point and shoot.

Last edited by monty on 09 Jul 2009, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 11:01 am

" An AK-47 or M-16 round will go through every wall in the average house in the US, and one or two walls of the next-door neighbor. " Totally true, i reckon seeing a doc about a comparison of the two, at the time that the Americans had to fight the Viets, obviously the viets had the AK-47, they could shoot through trees with that thing o.O the rifle that the americans had (can't remember the name, but i think it was M-16....was made of carbon fiber, would break easily) could barely make it past half the length of a tree, the drawback with a AK-47 is that it shoots kind of randomly, so it could be good when surrounded, but bad when you need to make precise shots. <.<

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 11:07 am

Ah, the M-16 vs AK-47 debate! There has been discussion on whether a weaker round that only wounds is sometimes better for the battlefield. Kill a person, and one is removed from the combat; wound a person, and 2 or 3 are removed from combat. But both pose a hazard to non-combatants in an urban environment.

Last edited by monty on 09 Jul 2009, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2009, 11:07 am

The M16 is meant to kill, the AK 47 is meant to wound.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 2:33 pm

monty wrote:
Zeno wrote:
I recommend the AK-47 because it is intimidating and fatal even in the hands of a complete newbie. Unlike handguns, semi-automatic rifles do not require much training

I recommend shotguns and revolvers for home defense (as do most people that know anything about weapons). A shotgun can be used inside a house with relatively little danger to household members in other rooms, or neighbors. A shotgun fires a spray of pellets that expands, and does not require perfect aim. Even in the darkness, in area where one cannot be seen, the sound of a pump shotgun being chambered is intimidating. An AK-47 or M-16 round will go through every wall in the average house in the US, and one or two walls of the next-door neighbor.

A good revolver is the height of simplicity and reliability - it requires little training, and is unlikely to misfeed, jam, or malfunction in the way any semi-auto may (the AK is quite reliable for a semi-automatic, but is more complicated and requires more familiarization). Handguns also of value in tight spaces, and can be carried for back-up in addition to a long gun. Revolvers are like simple cameras - point and shoot.

My grandfather had two revolvers during the drug craze of the 70s, when the hippies ran wild. He had a 1930s Spanish snubnose revolver for his pickup (even though it was technically illegal to carry a gun in one's car then), and a really ancient wood handle six shooter for home. The six inch wood handle is at least 100 years old. According to the stamps on the barrel, the gunsmith works also made bicycles. He may have had a Colt revolver at one time, but we only found a box. He also had a BB rifle for killing cats that went after his chickens. He wasn't big into guns.

I know that a blogger called Ferfal who lived through the Argentine collapse recommends a .357 SIG (Glock 19), but that's for carrying, since robberies increase after an economic crisis, and the 19 is small and light. At one point my grandpa slept with the wood handle revolver under his pillow. An assault rifle is problematic for use in an American suburb-spray that thing and you're likely to kill 3 or 4 people, none of them the robber. American cops still carry shotguns, since a shotgun is quite intimidating, a lot of people who are hidden in a house will surrender once the cop cocks it a couple times. People are obsessed with assault rifles, partially thanks to the bloviating of American politicians, but an AK is a long range weapon, that's why they're used in war.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 2:41 pm

Unemployment benefit extensions are due to run out in September for the first casualties of the depression. Congress has no money to extend them. Already we are seeing robberies where the guy tells the clerk that he has no job, no money, kids to feed, and is out of options. The good news is that such newly minted criminals tend to be sissies, and the cocking of a shotgun or a warning round from a revolver is usually enough to convince them to rob somebody else. The hard core gangbangers are not the ones robbing impoverished homeowners. They have bigger fish to fry. The other good news is that humans are rich in protein. Kill the burglar and bbq him for dinner. Yummy! :twisted:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:13 pm

monty wrote:

Try one of these:

It's called a Crossfire 1200, it's a 12gauge pump on top with a .556 semi-auto where the magazine tube normally would be, the shotgun loads from a tube in the butt. Best of both worlds in a compact package for home defense or a riot situation.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

pezar wrote:
know that a blogger called Ferfal who lived through the Argentine collapse recommends a .357 SIG (Glock 19), but that's for carrying, since robberies increase after an economic crisis, and the 19 is small and light.

Nitpick alert! The G19 is actually a compact 9mm, the .357 Sig cartridge is chambered in the G31, G32, and G33, as well as the Sig P228 and P229, and is available as an option by several other manufacturers. The .357 Sig is an excellent cartridge for self defense, it's essentially a .40 S&W necked down to a .356 9mm bullet, so it's performance is almost on par with the .357 magnum revolver cartridge, and it will chamber in a fairly compact pistol with a decent magazine capacity. It also is quite reliable due to it's bottleneck shape, this allows for easier feeding in an automatic mechanism. The only real drawback is price and availability, since it isn't cheap and the ammo isn't nearly as widely available as 9X19mm, 9X18mm, .45ACP or .40 S&W ammo, especially outside the states. It's also very loud, if that is a concern where you live.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:41 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Try one of these:

It's called a Crossfire 1200, it's a 12gauge pump on top with a .556 semi-auto where the magazine tube normally would be, the shotgun loads from a tube in the butt. Best of both worlds in a compact package for home defense or a riot situation.

.556 or .223?

Curious - I like the Saiga semi-auto shotgun (AK-style magazine) but this over/under combo is interesting. I have seen some over/under survival weapons before, but they were longer than this ... meant more for a person in the wilderness.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:08 pm

monty wrote:
.556 or .223?

Curious - I like the Saiga semi-auto shotgun (AK-style magazine) but this over/under combo is interesting. I have seen some over/under survival weapons before, but they were longer than this ... meant more for a person in the wilderness.

Slight typo, 556mm/.223 caliber, takes a 30 round NATO standard magazine, and I believe it holds 8 shot shells. I know the combo guns you're talking about, typically they would be a .22LR rifle over a .410 shotgun, meant as an emergency survival weapon. The old AR-7 was kind of similar, it was a semi-auto .22LR that took down easily with all of the components fitting into the hollow butt. Sean Connery used one fitted with a scope and silencer in From Russia With Love, and it was actually a pretty accurate representation of the weapon (and a damn good movie).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:28 pm

Zeno wrote:
America has nothing to sell to the rest of the world.

What does America actually make that the rest of the world wants? Actually what does America still make aside from jet airplanes and war machines? I find it hard to come up with a decent list of world beating made in America goods that can be sold profitably to consumers outside of the United States.

America is a net exporter of food, and is also the world's leading manufacturer. We are also the world leader in science and technology.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 5:36 pm

Anyone that cannot take 10F in shorts is a sissy. My friend wore shorts every day of the year for years. In Canada. Some days are -40F.

I've been to L.A. We went right into east LA. It looked a hell of a lot better than Buffalo New York or Coney Island.

I dont intend on ever going to Flint Michigan.

The biggest problem with outdoor activity in LA is lack of accessible potable water. A day with no water will stop a riot dead in its tracks and nobody needs to die. I was shocked how dry it is there. Does the Los Angeles river even flow year round?