Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2009, 8:36 pm

I have never heard of this phenonemon until I watched one of my favorite series Eureka, and they mentioned something called an Akashic Field. The character that "tapped" into it was Allison Blake's autistic savant son. I was fascinated by what this may be, and decided to research more. But I find myself wanting to know more than what I've already read. I went on Amazon, and may order some books there. Anyone know more of this Akashic Field? It fascinates me almost to the point of obsession.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

It's basically the essence of the universe, I think. When radio was first discovered in the late 19th century, its existence flummoxed philosophers, who had no conceptual framework for something like radio waves. So they imagined the "waves" moving THROUGH the "ether", much like waves in water. The ether and a few strong shots of sherry helped them get over the upending of human philosophy. Turns out, there is no such thing. But the concept stuck around. It's mutated a number of times. Akashic Field is just the old ether dressed up with a lot of new age hooey.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 11:36 pm

Edgar Cayce spoke about the Akashic records. Basically it's like a hall of soul records. He said that people choose their afflictions when they are reincarnated.

-Pythagoras

alba
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 11:41 pm

Aspiewriter,
Better get your flame shield ready, because you're going to need it. [this being the PPR forum where such ideas are scoffed at]

The Akashic Field, better known as the Akashic Record, as I understand it-- is supposedly an eternal record of everyone's thoughts, feelings and actions. I believe Edgar Cayce has spoken of the Akashic Record. This brings up questions such as: Has this eternal record always existed? Meaning, is the universe circular with no beginning and no end?

Now most people professing to believe in the Akashic Record relate it to karma. Meaning, when we do something nice, we get nice things happen to us....and when we do something awful, we get awful things happen to us......with or without significant time delay. The universe keeps tally of everything, so all is fair. As far as I know-- this is how the concept of Akashic Record is usually interpreted. Sounds to me like something has been lost in the translation from the original source, whether that was the Hindu Vedas or something else. Either the record [and the universe] is eternal or it is not. Keeping tally of lifetimes, to my way of thinking, would only apply to a finite linear record......one with a beginning and an end.

When the same idea is transmuted into a non-linear base....where this Record has always existed and will always exist forever....then it explains some quandaries. There is no free will, because everything is more-or-less scripted by the Record. That also means there is no karma either, because there's nothing to keep track of--on a moment to moment basis. Everything just is. Although the arrangement might shift around--like we rearrange furniture in our livingroom. And furthermore, there is no discreet lifetime because a lifetime has a beginning and an end....If the Record itself is eternal, and includes human lifetimes, then there is no beginning or end of a human lifetime....it only appears that way. And finally, the cause-effect arrow goes both ways......i.e., a future event can precipate an event in the past just as easily as a past event can cause a future event.

The Oneness Of All Things has supposedly arranged for the Akashic Record to keep accurate tally of everyone's bill. Now why is that? How is the Akashic Record able to sort it all out into separate bills? And with the cause-effect arrow going in both directions, it would be possible to pay for an act you haven't committed yet!!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 12:42 am

My sources (angels and aliens) tell me that reincarnation is a trap that the evil gods who created this world fool us into believing. When we die we see the white light and such but it's all a ploy by the evil aliens and evil gods to trick us into coming back so we can create more emotions for those blood sucking drug addict aliens to feed off of. Luckily the humans have devised a defense against this by willing the evolutionary powers to transform mutants (autistic people) into not allowing them (evil aliens) to continue this emotion sucking because these new and improved humans do not feel emotions. However, the aliens are on to us and are currently learning how to control the situation via mind control and demonic possession.

:D * jackass smiling*

-Pythagoras

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 1:25 am

Oh, Magnus. :lol:

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 1:49 am

There you are Averick, I missed you. :heart:

I am waiting for richardbenson to start a flame war. He was here recently.

-Pythagoras

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 2:01 am

Great, I'll get the s'mores.

Not sure what position Richard will take,
but I'm sure his response should be interesting;
I mean, aliens are his specialty.

Nice avatar by-the-way.
Wolves are my favourite.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 8:46 am

As I follow the series....

The Akashic Field is a zero-point energy containing all knowledge and experience in the universe.

The "Artifact" in Section 5 was terrestrial in origin (found on Earth) but how it was made and who made it was never discussed in the show. Nathan Stark believed that it acted as an "antenna" for the field.

At the end of Season One, an attempt to extract a sample of the artifact made it explode and the energy it emitted disappeared. Reportedly, the artifact was "dead." Kevin (the autistic child) was in Level 5 because his occupational therapist was in an adjacent lab visiting someone in Section 5. Kevin's autism was being tapped into to see if he could figure out things about the Artifact that everyone else was missing. Nathan did not know Kevin was down in Section 5 when the test (and explosion) happened.

The energy of the Artifact ultimately caused "spontaneous combustion" in everyone who was exposed to it except for Nathan Stark (they used electro-shock therapy to disrupt the seizures that would trigger the spontaneous combustion) and Kevin who seemed totally unaffected.

The Akashic Field slowly started evolving Kevin. It slowly seemed to cure his autism (although he was still slightly autistic when this sub-plot is resolved) and he began gaining powers to manipulate his environment and read other people's thoughts...even from a distance. This was all telegraphed in a prior episode (Invincible) with another scientist who gained instant regeneration abilities and mental powers when he was momentarily exposed to a power spike that originated from the Artifact. That scientist is believed to be dead because he entered the artifact chamber unprotected to "join" with it.

Kevin is ultimately saved at the end of Season Two when Henry finds a way to trigger a false biohazard alert at Global Dynamics and has Kevin taken to a panic room deep below the complex. Using a prototype teleport device reserved to help the head of Global escape, he uses Kevins DNA profile from before the explosion of the artifact to beam Kevin and forcibly extract the effect of the Akashic Field from him. Since the teleport rebuilds a person based on the profile, the result is Kevin as he was.

In Season Three, nothing new has been said on this. Kevin presumably reverts back to being the way he was prior to exposure to the Artifact.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 10:48 am

zer0netgain wrote:
As I follow the series....

The Akashic Field is a zero-point energy containing all knowledge and experience in the universe.

The "Artifact" in Section 5 was terrestrial in origin (found on Earth) but how it was made and who made it was never discussed in the show. Nathan Stark believed that it acted as an "antenna" for the field.

(big snip)

Sheesh. THIS is why American television drives me absolutely batty. The plotlines make almost no sense at all, and especially in series involving science, they frequently violate the laws of physics. I tolerated The X Files doing it for a while because that show was all about secret conspiracies and such, so it follows that the laws of physics as we know them would be yet another conspiracy. But even there, some of Mulder's rationales for why something was happening made little sense. I think that Eureka is that show about a secret city where all the world's geniuses live and make stuff for the government, right? I don't follow TV much anymore.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 10:50 am

No such thing. We know of only 4 interactions in nature:

1. electromagnetic
2. weak force
3. strong force
4. gravitational

Reality consists of particles and fields in space-time. There is nothing else.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 11:02 am

y'know Ruveyn, scientific dogma doesn't help us discover new interactions or anything.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 11:31 am

ruveyn wrote:
We know of only 4 interactions in nature: There is nothing else.

If I don't know of something, it isn't so.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 11:41 am

phil777 wrote:
y'know Ruveyn, scientific dogma doesn't help us discover new interactions or anything.

It is not dogma. It is sound physics based on 300 years of solid evidence gathering.

Physics is founded, first and foremost on empirical evidence, not on new age woo woo.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 1:02 pm

pezar wrote:
Sheesh. THIS is why American television drives me absolutely batty.

Help me understand....is it a matter that the plot line is inconsistent with the existing theory of the Akashic Field or that the Akashic Field is a metaphysical concept and not a scientific one?

If the latter, it is safe to say that many things considered "magic" at one time are now commonplace through science.

In the end of Season One, the story was set in a future where Henry went back in time to prevent her death, creating a paradox. To solve the problem, they had to send Carter back to stop Henry, and while everything was in order, the machine did not work. The missing piece was the fragment extracted from the Artifact. It was "transdimensional." The story promoted that, "If the Big Bang was an airplane crash, the Artifact was the black box, a record of what came from the universe before this one."

In science FICTION, there has to be some artistic license, so what's to say that an incredibly advanced civilization could not create something that channels something like the Akashic Field?

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

alba wrote:
Aspiewriter,
Better get your flame shield ready, because you're going to need it. [this being the PPR forum where such ideas are scoffed at]

Flaming isn't the issue with me. I have an open mind, so opinions just bounce off me. I want to learn, from many points of view.

Last edited by Aspiewriter on 08 Jul 2009, 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.