Page 1 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 9:56 pm

Orwell wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
western democracy is becoming more and more commercialized politics. in theory you could just throw out the same imagery of other ads, lightly dressed chicks, the whole commercial deal, and win more votes. several such stunts have allready been done.

I always hate when people try to pretend that things were better in the past and it's always gotten worse and worse. Think smear campaigns are bad now? Go and read what Andrew Jackson's opponents wrote about his mother. Think political corruption is bad now? Irishmen in the New York political machine would grow their beards out, vote in the morning, shave, and vote again in the afternoon. Think politics is shallow and people vote for trivial, greedy, or materialistic reasons? The political parties used to actually live up to their names, passing out beers to the voters and throwing raucous celebrations to bring out the vote.

I find it strange that you didn't mention Bleeding Kansas.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 10:17 pm

Cyanide wrote:

Yeah. There's just too many examples. Politics has always been corrupt, the average intellectual/educational level has always been pathetic, the youth have always disrespected their elders, and most people have always been greedy, selfish bastards.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 10:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Yeah. There's just too many examples. Politics has always been corrupt, the average intellectual/educational level has always been pathetic, the youth have always disrespected their elders, and most people have always been greedy, selfish bastards.

Selfish means looking out for one's self and greedy means trying to get the best of a situation. Selflessness as with suicide bombers does not fit my concept of an ideal human being.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

it probably because people feels more comfortable with the reality they were born into
i also hate the Matrix and Terminator brand of SF because it encourages ignorance and fear from the feature
personnaly i alwais felt that the future is bright and the past is dark and when u really looking ino the facts the world is constantly getting better
it make sense and there is endlless examples and reasons to show for this point of view
but people tend to be very subjective and from the point of view of the individual the passing of time brings death and pain and not many people can see byound their narow ego

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 5:44 am

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Selfish means looking out for one's self and greedy means trying to get the best of a situation. Selflessness as with suicide bombers does not fit my concept of an ideal human being.

if only it was that simple
Democracy and the search for the ultimate social structure is part of fundamental human sentiment that strive for an existence where looking out for one's self wouldn't contradict or hurt the other looking for his own self
we as a race are geared to search for balance where the best of the situation will be best for all
the greedy lives at the expanse of the poor that why he is a social suicide bomber

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 6:10 am

nara44 wrote:
Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Democracy and the search for the ultimate social structure is part of fundamental human sentiment that strive for an existence where looking out for one's self wouldn't contradict or hurt the other looking for his own self
we as a race are geared to search for balance where the best of the situation will be best for all
the greedy lives at the expanse of the poor that why he is a social suicide bomber

What is labeled greed and self respect are merely the normal motivations of any living thing to accommodate its needs and desires. A business that does not strive to maximize its profit is not acting its own self interests. It becomes a problem when it over rides other social motives for the general benefit and become s monstrous distortion like a balloon that violates its simple spherical design and bulges in cancerous weak points to make ugly dangerous bulges. Nature is unfortunately designed in a way that the success of one individual inevitable draws upon the needs of others and it is not always possible to obtain maximum benefit for both. Something must give way and some disasters cannot be avoided.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 6:15 am

Pardon my twist of phrase....

Democracy is the opiate of the masses.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 7:32 am

Sand wrote:
nara44 wrote:
Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

What is labeled greed and self respect are merely the normal motivations of any living thing to accommodate its needs and desires. A business that does not strive to maximize its profit is not acting its own self interests. It becomes a problem when it over rides other social motives for the general benefit and become s monstrous distortion like a balloon that violates its simple spherical design and bulges in cancerous weak points to make ugly dangerous bulges. Nature is unfortunately designed in a way that the success of one individual inevitable draws upon the needs of others and it is not always possible to obtain maximum benefit for both. Something must give way and some disasters cannot be avoided.

i strongly disagree with the your static and unquestioning aproach to such terms such as 'natural' and 'normal'
too many corrupted and destructive regimes,societies and companies used this approach to justify unbelievable atrocities
AS are bullied and persecuted because they are not normal or natural in the eye of the NT majority
of course there is a way to a business to succeed or maximized is profit without harming it surounding
have u ever heard on the benefit of cooperation ? it surly doesn't violate the natural spherical design
cancer by definition is one type of cell disregarding the natural cooperation in the body and acting selfishly for itself destroying the bosy around him and consequently himself in the proccess
the fact that u chose to describe cooperative efforts and sentiments as cancerous while describing cancerous behviuor as the law of nature is appaling and dangerous
if u look at history u will see a constant progression toward cooperation
society evolve to "flatter" and time goes by
so is business organization
[the most advanced business schools progress to include much softer approaches to doing business in recent years and this is no coincidence}
this is also part of nature
human nature
and it is the best part
the part that responsible to the miracle of our achievements

it is very unfortunate and disappointing to read people like you who have no trouble in blaming others to be inhuman to preach for the most conformist if not all out fundamental views
what u preaching here is the the basics of fascism

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 7:39 am

nara44 wrote:
Sand wrote:
nara44 wrote:
Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

i strongly disagree with the your static and unquestioning aproach to such terms such as 'natural' and 'normal'
too many corrupted and destructive regimes,societies and companies used this approach to justify unbelievable atrocities
AS are bullied and persecuted because they are not normal or natural in the eye of the NT majority
of course there is a way to a business to succeed or maximized is profit without harming it surounding
have u ever heard on the benefit of cooperation ? it surly doesn't violate the natural spherical design
cancer by definition is one type of cell disregarding the natural cooperation in the body and acting selfishly for itself destroying the bosy around him and consequently himself in the proccess
the fact that u chose to describe cooperative efforts and sentiments as cancerous while describing cancerous behviuor as the law of nature is appaling and dangerous
if u look at history u will see a constant progression toward cooperation
society evolve to "flatter" and time goes by
so is business organization
[the most advanced business schools progress to include much softer approaches to doing business in recent years and this is no coincidence}
this is also part of nature
human nature
and it is the best part
the part that responsible to the miracle of our achievements

it is very unfortunate and disappointing to read people like you who have no trouble in blaming others to be inhuman to preach for the most conformist if not all out fundamental views
what u preaching here is the the basics of fascism

What's appalling is your inability to read. Have you never heard extolled the virtues of free competition? Are you aware of the viciousness with which markets are sought after and the people more or less enslaved so that big business can succeed. Do you knw what is happening in South America and Nigeria and The Congo in the name of business?

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 7:47 am

Sand wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Oh, of course. As I am the most important human being, I should be the one in power. The best of the situation would mean me owning everything, as everything spins around me anyways. The lesser people's only purpose is to serve Me. :roll:

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 8:00 am

Sand wrote:

What's appalling is your inability to read. Have you never heard extolled the virtues of free competition? Are you aware of the viciousness with which markets are sought after and the people more or less enslaved so that big business can succeed. Do you knw what is happening in South America and Nigeria and The Congo in the name of business?

what happening there is the result of too many people believing such nonsense as
"
Nature is unfortunately designed in a way that the success of one individual inevitable draws upon the needs of others and it is not always possible to obtain maximum benefit for both. Something must give way and some disasters cannot be avoided.
"
i wonder how come u r preaching me about the ugly results of businesses practicing what u describe as unavoidable while my comment to u tried to explain wht is is indeed naturally avoidable and so should be avoided
and on top of that u accusing me of an inability to read

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 9:17 am

Henriksson wrote:

Oh, of course. As I am the most important human being, I should be the one in power. The best of the situation would mean me owning everything, as everything spins around me anyways. The lesser people's only purpose is to serve Me. :roll:[/quote]
That's megalomaniacal arrogance, a different category of thought.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 9:50 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Oh, of course. As I am the most important human being, I should be the one in power. The best of the situation would mean me owning everything, as everything spins around me anyways. The lesser people's only purpose is to serve Me. :roll:

That's megalomaniacal arrogance, a different category of thought.[/quote]

To conceive that selflessness means acting against one's own interest is an extremely shortsighted point of view. The point I was making and which seems to be totally misunderstood in these several posts is that selfish motives may be best served by cooperative methods that is beneficial to a group. But that does not make them any less selfish. The rapacious business practices current throughout the world may be seen as the ultimate in selfishness but, in the long run, they are basically socially and environmentally destructive and totally unproductive towards ultimate selfish ends.
Nevertheless those agricultural practices most desirable for humans is highly destructive of other forms of life, Fishing is great for humans but death for marine life, etc. What gives to one takes from another. Inevitably.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 11:14 am

Sand wrote:

The self-interest turned vulgar seems like its mostly a structural problem, ie. corporations having their management and directors too far divorced from the shareholders and having direct accountability. They say no one spends money more recklessly than when its someone else's. They're in a position where they're incentive also to increase the bottom-line from quarter to quarter to keep the shareholders happy rather than framing things for long term success is also an issue, one that needs to be fixed most likely by having employee-owned stock being the majority of the shares and thus taking a step back from having the mutual funds being the chief advisors in lieu of those who own the common stock through them in their 401k's.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 1:37 pm

In a democracy, the media has all the power. They got the American people to support the war in Iraq, which is really serving the interests of Israel. They control what the people think. They make Americans pro Israel and think anyone who disagrees because they sympathize with the Palestinians, who are really the ones getting killed out there, are "anti-semetic". They decide who wins elections.

rensilaer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2009, 2:04 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
In a democracy, the media has all the power. They got the American people to support the war in Iraq, which is really serving the interests of Israel. They control what the people think. They make Americans pro Israel and think anyone who disagrees because they sympathize with the Palestinians, who are really the ones getting killed out there, are "anti-semetic". They decide who wins elections.

Er, I think I know you from another forum site. How small the internet is. :)