Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 2:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M[/youtube]

Yet they say that humans are the most merciless lol

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 2:40 pm

I've read that Asian hornets have colonised France over the last few years, and that You Tube clip of yours graphically illustrates the fate of the European honey bee. Similar, in fact, to how immigrants from the third world have colonised Europe and are in the process of destroying our culture and way of life.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:47 pm

8O

evidence?

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 4:49 pm

What I want to know is how did they film that? :) I wouldn't want to be getting that close to hornets in that kind of mood.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 5:20 pm

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
8O

evidence?

ascan's a racist xenophobe. Ignore such rantings.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 5:24 pm

Solution : Either you make war to the hornets or you put up a grill with openings small enough to let the honeybees in and out and which effectively keeps the big bad hornets away from the colony (the grill must have squares large enough to let every bee pass, otherwise the hornets will obviously just "camp" the exit.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 1:42 am

@ skafather84 - ah, I see, sound advice it would be well to observe

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 1:56 am

Funny thing is I actually remember watching this about the Japanese Hornets. Apparently a couple stings on the cheek can take half of a person's face off, nasty buggers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 1:58 am

phil777 wrote:
Solution : Either you make war to the hornets or you put up a grill with openings small enough to let the honeybees in and out and which effectively keeps the big bad hornets away from the colony (the grill must have squares large enough to let every bee pass, otherwise the hornets will obviously just "camp" the exit.

Either that or Japanese honeybees which already have an adaptive mechanism to fight these things would need to be introduced. The honeybees usually wrap themselves around the scout and since they can hold a higher internal body temperature they attempt to cook the scout hornet internally through their own body heat.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 3:10 am

8O

evidence?

Have you been taking lessons from WP's Orwell? Here are a few links for your perusal. Oh, I'd sit down with a stiff drink before you read the last one as it may offend your delicate liberal sensibilities:

Hornets
Immigrants
More immigrants

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 3:15 am

skafather84 wrote:
ascan's a racist xenophobe. Ignore such rantings.

Oh no... not me. I was merely comparing two similar situations.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 4:47 am

Quote:
Have you been taking lessons from WP's Orwell? Here are a few links for your perusal. Oh, I'd sit down with a stiff drink before you read the last one as it may offend your delicate liberal sensibilities:

Hornets
Immigrants
More immigrants

buzzzz. wrong. I'm a Trotskyist, certainly not liberal, nor am I delicate. How's about you get me a source that isn't as outright ridiculous as the BNP website. I'm well aware that the mainstream press doesn't report a hell of a lot but that's laughable.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 5:07 am

ascan wrote:
8O

evidence?

Hornets

It's silly to relate this to that, however this is an interesting issue. This is a good example how humans' interference can be destructive to nature. How these Asian hornets reached Europe? Certainly by human means.

This is a live example how messing with the ecosystem can have destructive results, the hornets don't belong to the France' s ecosystem and that's why this is happening to the honeybees.

That reminds us of the Asian rats' domination over the small European rats which was one of the main reason of the 'peste noire'.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:15 am

ascan wrote:
8O

evidence?

Have you been taking lessons from WP's Orwell?

That's just what I was thinking!

Titus, here's a bit of friendly advice. If you want people to make the effort of digging out a bunch of links every time they say something they probably thought was self-explanatory but that contradicts your view of the world, you could at least make the effort of communicating with them in complete sentences.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:21 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
This is a live example how messing with the ecosystem can have destructive results, the hornets don't belong to the France' s ecosystem and that's why this is happening to the honeybees...

There are many species that have been introduced that are having a profound influence on our environment. In the UK there are mitten crabs, signal crayfish, Japanese knotweed, Himalayan balsam, varroa mite, mink, and oilseed rape that are just a few that spring to mind. Their effects on our environment are infrequently reported by the media, and rarely mentioned by government. I can see that sometime in the future the indigenous flora and fauna of each continent will be replaced by a global one. The diversity of our natural world destroyed in the 6th major extinction event. Similarly, the human world will become a drab authoritarian monocultural hell. You may think it silly to link the two; that's your prerogative. I contend that the two are related in that the political elite's short-term goals, necessary for their survival, will always take priority over addressing these longterm problems. Furthermore, in many cases these long-term problems are actually being caused by the political need for short-term financial gain.

buzzzz wrong. I'm a Trotskyist...

Like Derek Hatton?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:27 am

ascan wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
This is a live example how messing with the ecosystem can have destructive results, the hornets don't belong to the France' s ecosystem and that's why this is happening to the honeybees...

There are many species that have been introduced that are having a profound influence on our environment. In the UK there are mitten crabs, signal crayfish, Japanese knotweed, Himalayan balsam, varroa mite, mink, and oilseed rape that are just a few that spring to mind. Their effects on our environment are rarely discussed. I can see that sometime in the future the indigenous flora and fauna of each continent will be replaced by a global one. The diversity of our natural world destroyed in the 6th major extinction event. Similarly, the human world will become a drab authoritarian monocultural hell. You may think it silly to link the two; that's your prerogative. I contend that the two are related in that the political elite's short-term goals, necessary for their survival, will always take priority over addressing these longterm problems. Furthermore, in many cases these long-term problems are actually being caused by the political need for short-term financial gain.

buzzzz wrong. I'm a Trotskyist...

Like Derek Hatton?

Don't confuse technology with politics in all matters. Technology is providing species intermix that never occurred before. Species have conflicted since species evolved. The process continues inevitably and it is rough on some and easy on others. That's the way the world works.