Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 12:09 am

What a waste of good money that could be spent on humans and educating and feeding humans instead.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 12:36 am

skafather84 wrote:
What a waste of good money that could be spent on humans and educating and feeding humans instead.

Sure. And what about the Olympics and comic books and cosmetics and drag racing and liquor and dumb sitcoms. Think of all that money going to education and food for the underprivileged and medicines for the sick.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:21 am

Heh, you'll laugh Sand but i've seen on TV that Hussein Bolt's exploits are motivating the Jamaican youths to run and study. <.<

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:27 am

phil777 wrote:
Heh, you'll laugh Sand but i've seen on TV that Hussein Bolt's exploits are motivating the Jamaican youths to run and study. <.<

Here in Helsinki Hussein Bolt is as mysterious as J.D.Salinger. I never heard of him.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:37 am

Yet you mentioned the Olympics... How deliciously ironic.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:46 am

phil777 wrote:
Yet you mentioned the Olympics... How deliciously ironic.

I admire the guts and determination of the competitors but watching a bunch of people exercise to complete their attempts in a microsecond or so less time than other previous athletes is, to me, as fascinating as watching paint dry. To participate in sports is no doubt invigorating and perhaps exciting but watching them holds no interest for me at all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:09 am

skafather84 wrote:

Do you assume that people have no right to spend their own money on their own pleasure?

The needs of others does not constitute a valid claim on one's own resources.

The hungry folks of the world have no rightful claim on the food, time or money of those that are not hungry.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:35 am

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Do you assume that people have no right to spend their own money on their own pleasure?

The needs of others does not constitute a valid claim on one's own resources.

The hungry folks of the world have no rightful claim on the food, time or money of those that are not hungry.

ruveyn

That's the way to run the world. Screw everybody as long as I've got mine.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:44 am

Sand wrote:

How about being as generous as you will, but with no one holding a gun to your head?

I never said that one should NOT help a person in need. I do say that no one should command generosity by force or threat of force.

People should spend their own money as they think it best to spend it.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:55 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

How about being as generous as you will, but with no one holding a gun to your head?

I never said that one should NOT help a person in need. I do say that no one should command generosity by force or threat of force.

People should spend their own money as they think it best to spend it.

ruveyn

Afraid to face the implication so your own words? OK, I'll go along with your last comment. Nobody said anything about force.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:59 am

Sand wrote:
Afraid to face the implication so your own words? OK, I'll go along with your last comment. Nobody said anything about force.

What implications? That some will be generous and others stingy. This is normal every day stuff.

In societies with a surplus there is usually enough generosity to prevent wholesale starvation. That is why industrial countries do not look like India did on the old days, with millions starving every year. Voluntary redistribution of resources is usually sufficient to prevent wholesale starvation and a complete breakdown of peace and order.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 3:08 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

What implications? That some will be generous and others stingy. This is normal every day stuff.

In societies with a surplus there is usually enough generosity to prevent wholesale starvation. That is why industrial countries do not look like India did on the old days, with millions starving every year. Voluntary redistribution of resources is usually sufficient to prevent wholesale starvation and a complete breakdown of peace and order.

ruveyn

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in your general view that the world outside of your immediate family is made up of total nasty bastards and your professed faith that generosity is sufficiently abundant to see that everybody is not hungry.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 6:22 am

Sand wrote:

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in your general view that the world outside of your immediate family is made up of total nasty bastards and your professed faith that generosity is sufficiently abundant to see that everybody is not hungry.

What I said was that I reserve my compassion for my family and kin. For non-harmful neutrals I have have Good Manners. For enemies, I have contempt, contumely, disdain, low regard, dislike, fear and loathing and a desire to destroy them. I am not by nature a kind or sympathetic person, so what little feelings I have are for me and mine. However I am unfailingly polite. For talented and non harmful people I have admiration of their talent and respect for it. There is little in the human world that is admirable, so when I see some talent I respect it and cherish it. As Theodore Sturgeon once said 85 percent of everything is crap, so I am bound to respect the 15 percent that isn't crap.

I have few principles and they are simple. Among them are:

What is yours is yours
and
What is mine is mine.

I respect property rightfully held. I will not steal what is not mine.

ruveyn

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2009, 7:46 am

I think animals (pets) contribute to our quality of life. For the cost involved maintaining they are often a very cheap therapist.

Some animal charities help reduce stray pet population, that if allowed to get out of control would prove to be a health threat. Our local Humane Society is better prepared, staffed, and trained to handle animals then our local police department's animal control.

I believe you need to respect all life and your environment. I am not a vegan, but I try to stay with locally grown food products.. that are not pumped full with medicine during their life.

I know that there are children in many countries that do not have the food or medical attention they need. But this is caused by greed and corruption, not by lack of resources. We live in a world of abundance; greed is what needs to be cured.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 8:19 am

Oregon wrote:
I think animals (pets) contribute to our quality of life. For the cost involved maintaining they are often a very cheap therapist.

Some animal charities help reduce stray pet population, that if allowed to get out of control would prove to be a health threat. Our local Humane Society is better prepared, staffed, and trained to handle animals then our local police department's animal control.

I believe you need to respect all life and your environment. I am not a vegan, but I try to stay with locally grown food products.. that are not pumped full with medicine during their life.

I know that there are children in many countries that do not have the food or medical attention they need. But this is caused by greed and corruption, not by lack of resources. We live in a world of abundance; greed is what needs to be cured.

There's nothing like realizing a practical solution to a problem.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 9:41 am

What BS, humans are treated much better than animals.

Try working at an animal shelter and you'll see what I mean. Animals are not only abused in most shelters but 5 million of them each year in the U.S. are put down just b/c some moron of a human won't adopt them. Now let's compare that case to humans....

If we're talking worldwide of humans starving, I agree but animal charities doesn't even begin to cover the costs that humans spend on themselves.