Page 3 of 11 [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,018
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2009, 4:53 am

greenblue wrote:
Why wouldn't they like indie films? too "progresive"?


Exactly.

Quote:
I also have, but I believe there is no much difference between NTs and aspies, as people are people, and well, I have had bad experiences with NTs, but with aspies, I'm not sure, it seems that aspies may be less tolerant to some issues, in that regard, I wonder if a NT may be more tolerant and understanding of some of my aspects than an aspie.


Why would an Aspie be less tolerant?

Quote:
Hmmm, given that you are thinking about renouncing Christianity, how about these views? just curious, would you be willing to renounce them as well?


I would have to. I am labeled as being intolerant because I don't wear old blue jeans and a Che Guevara T-shirt everywhere I go.

Quote:
I prefer not to be any part of any clique, but yeah, that probably undermines socializing a bit, not that I would care.


I meant that if you're not "textbook" when it comes to cliques, you face instant rejection.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2007
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 895
Location: The Gates of Babylon

06 Sep 2009, 7:07 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:
Maybe you need to leave Texas.


I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, I like that sig you have.

I live in the Midwest and I have had fairly decent luck with women. I've never had a relationship with a woman who was exactly like me nor would I want to either. The differences are what make it interesting and they have all been NT's too. Dating an Aspie, which I've never done, is no gaurantee of anything.

If my wife had followed the teachings of Confucious, especially the one in my sig., then we might still be married. She was NT and she decided no more sex for me so I went and had an affair which turned out to be the smartest move I ever made in life. Completely changed my view of women for the better.


_________________
Can't get it right, no matter what I do, guess I'll just be me and keep [email protected]#$%G up for you!
It goes on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell! Ronnie James Dio - He was simply the greatest R.I.P.


mgran
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,864

06 Sep 2009, 8:10 am

Well, Tim Tex... I should introduce you to my ex husband. He's an aspie, who is an obsessive film buff, into sci fi, seventies television, loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, horror movies, etc etc... and would call himself Christian. He's happily remarried, and lives in England, or you two guys should have a pint together.

The world is full of people you can connect with. You sound so much like him it's uncanny.

You know, if you're a Christian, you could always consider simply praying, and asking God to help you in this.



Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,302

06 Sep 2009, 10:04 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
2. Very few Christians have the same interests (animated sitcoms, indie/artsy films, traveling, outdoor activities)

This is an assumption, not a fact.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Amelie - an extremely artsy French film. I have every episode of Beavis and Butthead and nearly every episode of the Simpsons, because those shows are awesome. Travelling doesn't particularly interest me, but my mom loves it.

I also love horror movies where people are running around screaming and getting dismembered in fascinating ways.

I don't fit your stereotype very well, do I? Most people don't fit stereotypes very well. Stereotypes usually have some truth to them (otherwise the stereotype would be different), but they aren't very accurate predictors of anything specific.

Quote:
4. I have no choice but to a long-distance relationship because there is nobody who satisfies #1-3 in the Austin-San Antonio area.

Why are you chained to those two cities?

In any case, you're wrong about there being nobody who fits your criteria there. There are about 3.6 million people in that area. Someone in that area fits your criteria fairly well.

Your criteria should not be set in stone. Someone who fits your criteria might be easier to like, but that is not a guarantee; nor is it a guarantee that someone who doesn't fit your criteria won't like you.

I've got criteria for female physical attractiveness. Her hair should be a) long, b) straight, and c) black. But I can think of two women I've met with short, curly, blonde hair that were gorgeous. I'm also not generally attracted to asian women -- but Lucy Liu is still a hottie. Don't put too much faith in your criteria.

Quote:
7. I constantly force myself to adapt to specific cliques, because being uncliqueable will hinder any acceptance by anybody.

Not being in a clique won't hurt you, and if being in the 'right' clique is the only thing making someone like you, they probably won't like you that much anyway.


_________________
"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." --G. K. Chesterton


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,018
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm

Traveling/Outdoor stuff: Simply because I am always around people with rather sedentary lifestyles.

Simpsons/South Park/artsy stuff: Many Christians are offended by the content in those things. Also, because they are done for artistic merit, indie/art-house films can bypass the MPAA ratings system. Content can very. Some can be family-friendy, but some have content equivalent to a movie that is rated NC-17. It is that reason that social conservatives hate indie stuff.

Location: I am in school in this area. (I am in San Marcos, halfway between Austin and SA). Aspie + same interests + sexually compatible + local = disappointment.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,402

06 Sep 2009, 1:32 pm

Have you considered looking into the Mormon religion? Jehovah's Witnesses? Seventh Day Adventists? Christian Scientists?

I've heard of people getting romantically involved with Mormons, but then requiring a full conversion to get married. Once you're in, as long as you follow the rules and belief systems, you are "accepted." If you are willing to alter your belief system in order to be "accepted" and to get a wife, then there you go.

My wife's sister married a Seventh Day Adventist. She used to wear nothing but shorts and pants. (No, silly, I don't mean that she went around topless). Now, she is no longer allowed to wear shorts and pants. Only dresses or skirts, and only dresses or skirts that extend below the knee. Before she met him, I don't think that she owned a dress.

She used to like eating shrimps, crabs and pork. Now, she lives on tofu and brown rice.

Since she married him, we rarely hear from her any more.

You sound like you're willing to be malleable. If you would consider renouncing Christianity, then why wouldn't you be willing to give up your favourite cartoons if it would mean "acceptance?"



mgran
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,864

06 Sep 2009, 1:56 pm

Oh, for pity's sake, if you're going to give up "Christianity" (and nobody yet knows what that word means to you) PLEASE let me caution you against going Mormon or JW. Seriously... the JW translation of the Bible is so bad that someone must have deliberately sat down and thought, "what can we mess up here... hey, what about this! That will mess things up!" Whereas the Mormons book is just painfully, horribly, wrong, literally from the very first line. (Don't get me started on it...) I need a head banging smiley, but I can't be bothered to find it. :roll:



Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Oct 2006
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,554

06 Sep 2009, 2:00 pm

Here you go, mgran! :wall:


_________________
Won't you help a poor little puppy?


Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Oct 2006
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,554

06 Sep 2009, 2:32 pm

pandabear wrote:
Seventh Day Adventists?


Yeah, SDA tends to be a lot more restrictive than many of the other Protestant denominations, including the rules about not eating "unclean" food like shellfish and pork... but the rule about women not being allowed to wear pants is unusual. My uncle is an SDA pastor, and his wife (my aunt) wears pants all the time, even at church. This is not considered heretical by any means. However, stuff like wearing makeup or jewelry indeed aren't common. Vegetarianism is very common, but not required. SDA folks are generally accepting, not very judgmental nor hypocritical, it's just that the moral standard is quite high, and they actually walk the walk instead of simply talk the talk. While I don't share the SDA belief in Jesus Christ (I'm atheist), I do admire the sincere, down-to-earth undramatized approach to the world and their unwavering dedication to charity and helping others, and if I were to join a Christian denomination, SDA would be it. For Tim though? I don't know... SDA isn't terribly permissive about stuff on TV, and I don't see many run-of-the-mill SDA women liking the Simpsons or South Park. Premarital sex would also be a definite no-no. It'd definitely be a change from his current beliefs, that's for sure!


_________________
Won't you help a poor little puppy?


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,018
Location: Houston, Texas

06 Sep 2009, 2:46 pm

Yikes. And I thought Baptists were strict.

I am Lutheran, if that helps. Lutherans tend to be more permissive than most of the other denominations.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,402

06 Sep 2009, 5:15 pm

mgran wrote:
Oh, for pity's sake, if you're going to give up "Christianity" (and nobody yet knows what that word means to you) PLEASE let me caution you against going Mormon or JW. Seriously... the JW translation of the Bible is so bad that someone must have deliberately sat down and thought, "what can we mess up here... hey, what about this! That will mess things up!" Whereas the Mormons book is just painfully, horribly, wrong, literally from the very first line. (Don't get me started on it...) I need a head banging smiley, but I can't be bothered to find it. :roll:


I don't think that the wrongness of the religious text is the issue here. We're simply looking for a little love and acceptance. If it means giving up cartoons and Christianity, then so be it.



metelz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 127

06 Sep 2009, 6:19 pm

I'm going to be very frank here and say that

1. As an athiest I think people should renounce religion

but

2. They should actually have a a philisophical reason for doing so. If your going to sell out your beliefs just so people will like you then, to be brutally honest, you are pathetic, and I wouldn't have anything to do with you anyway. I'm sorry if that's harsh sounding.



EC
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 260
Location: Denmark

06 Sep 2009, 7:02 pm

Well... If you want company, you could always go for Scientology. All you have to let go is your soul, your personality, your money, and your ability to think critically. Watch as your friends and family slowly fall away as you interrogate them, calling them "criminals" and "suppressives" and only associate yourself with your fellow religio-drones.

Anyway, crazy Ron's UFO cult aside, if you don't mind me asking: Are you actually a Christian? Do you believe in God? Of all your responses here, you haven't addressed those two issues. I "experimented" with religion for some time, and I realized that I couldn't be religious without actually believing in God. So if you're not decided, you need to decide and whatever your choice, do not do it for social reasons; that's the hallmark of a weak-minded individual.



pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,402

06 Sep 2009, 10:07 pm

No, there are plenty of people who go to Church for purely social or economic reasons.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

06 Sep 2009, 10:09 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Yikes. And I thought Baptists were strict.

well, one thing about SDAs is that they don't believe in getting involved in politics at all, in that regard, I can say that they do promote and respect the idea of separation of church and state, the idea that the law shouldn't force people to live a prefered lifestyle based on Christian values, I think many of them (from what I have seen and heard, though I may be generalizing too much) seem to be against the ban of gay marriage, as some think that to be more of a spiritual personal God-man relationship (a Free Choice) rather than something needed to be enforced politically.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 882
Location: New Human Empire

07 Sep 2009, 4:29 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
When I was a pot smoking atheist, I had dozens of friends, we all had the same interests. However, they all had a bad influence on me.

Now that I'm a conservative Baha'i, I have only one good friend, who lives an hour's drive away. He's soon moving further away, a two hour's drive. He's been nothing but the best influence on me. Initially, we had no similar interests, but now, his interests are mine, and my interests are his.

My life is now much better than it was before.

These decisions can have a profound impact on our lives.


What kind of conserative? IMO, and in experience there is the mob mentality that goes along with the conservative theory.

For instance, it was ok to kill jews and other so-called inferiors to his race b/c Hitler said so.

I guess I expect that from a so-called conservative.


In the sense that I'm trying to obey the laws and moral behaviour guidelines of the faith, as much as possible. There are no groups or factions here.