Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 9:31 pm

AngryJessman wrote:
what is dying really is my question, i believe life is just one of the many experiences before the beyond and possibility

I can recall a time I considered the possibility that there were fairies and elves sheltered under mushrooms.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2009, 10:21 pm

Sand wrote:
AngryJessman wrote:
what is dying really is my question, i believe life is just one of the many experiences before the beyond and possibility

I can recall a time I considered the possibility that there were fairies and elves sheltered under mushrooms.

is this when you have been experimenting with eating shrooms??? lol just jokin

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 11:00 pm

AngryJessman wrote:
Sand wrote:
AngryJessman wrote:

is this when you have been experimenting with eating shrooms??? lol just jokin

Well, an omelet with mushrooms with a few dead fairies or elves mixed in was not my concept of a good meal.

psychointegrator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2009, 9:10 am

lithium73 wrote:
Just curious as to others thoughts about what happens beyond death. I am not talking religion here. Been there done that. Do we 'sleep perchance to dream', float off amongst the clouds. Lurk around down here pestering children and relatives. Or are we just worm food. Your thoughts?

I wager that once this brain has been deprived of oxygen long enough or ceases to function for a variety of reasons, it continues what it always has been doing.
That is, with the exception for the continuance of being the eukaryote that we are, which relentlessly converts nutrients to build, repair and replace the constant exchange of matter within us.
What have we always been doing overall? Decaying, defecating matter back to the ecosystem cell by cell.
The difference being no mind produced from the brain and the fairly apparent inevitability to be recycled initially, if applicable of course and then stardust again. Possibly, at some point inhaled by the gravity from a star, spit out for another formation of a life bearing planet and reborn into another form of organism or to be the earth it steps upon.

None of which remembered in the trillions of bits of matter that was once considered to be your body or the consciousness produced from the brain, that conceptualized the sense of "I," while suffering from the separation which may not exist as that persistent sense may be an illusion of a sort. The brain representation of its own acts of representation bringing stardust to feel subject/object perceptions, intrinsically capable of become enslaved to this notion until it also reaches the ever lasting warmth of death that can not be experienced in life and never felt once achieved.

or we go to heaven/hell... for all eternity

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2009, 2:31 pm

I subscribe to the (George) Carlin theory: when you die, your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 5:25 pm

RhettOracle wrote:
I subscribe to the (George) Carlin theory: when you die, your soul goes to a garage in Buffalo.

I was almost going to say that I'd prefer a Christian hell to that but...then again I realized that you didn't say New Jersey.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 7:31 pm

I was dead for almost 3 mins after a violent attack which I won't get into here, but I do
remember floating over myself, now I know there has been some research using EEG's
on people at or near death that recorded bursts of activity, on a recent news story.
Anyhow it sort of said that the illusion of an afterlife when we die is caused by an
electrochemical cascade bought on by the neurons not receiving oxygen, anyhow I sort
of hope there is more to this one plain of existences, like whats the point of being alive
if there is no hope of some sort of afterlife, why bother striving for something better if
there is nothing but endless nothingness. I don't care for what the Richard Dawkins of
the world think, they have no heart and lack any real passion for the miracle of life.
I guess my point is that if there isn't anything more after this life, then we should be
more respectful of the life we are given and of all thats around us.

P.S. I think John Lennon wrote a song about this

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2009, 9:26 pm

I read in one book that mice seem to go into a state of euphoria when theyre in the jaws of a house cat. When all hope is gone- animals seem to ge into a drug like high state before dying.

Right after that book I leafed through a book about African exploration.
In it there was an account by Livingston who was saved from a lion by his native helpers who ran out of the village with a gun just intime to bag the beasst.

Livingston reported experiencing "a sense of euphoria and well being" while in the lion's teeth just before he wouldve died had the lion not been shot.

So- if you wanna get high- climb into a feline's mouth!
Seriously- near death seems to trigger some kind of intoxicating chemical in the body.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 10:08 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
I don't care for what the Richard Dawkins of
the world think, they have no heart and lack any real passion for the miracle of life.
I guess my point is that if there isn't anything more after this life, then we should be
more respectful of the life we are given and of all thats around us.

If Richard Dawkins is right then the cruelest trick that random chance ever played was creating a race intelligent enough to see the absolute void of its own existence. I still have yet to see how that worldview is pro-progress, it seems to infer that anything we achieve or even our need to achieve is a joke played on us purely by our genes.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 12:13 am

well I think alot of atheists have your view, but what would it mater then what people believe if there
is no god or devil and no afterlife why make people who have faith feel like they are delusional.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 5:27 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
well I think alot of atheists have your view, but what would it mater then what people believe if there
is no god or devil and no afterlife why make people who have faith feel like they are delusional.

There is a famous atheist thinker name Jurgen Habermaas who acknowledges that yes, outside of that kind of structure (provided by religion or faith) things are currently very helter-skelter, though I think he looks at that much more as an epistemic problem for humanity to resolve rather than being proof positive that religion is correct - more along the idea that there is still a lot to be learned from religion, social structure, priorities, and that its important not to throw the bad out with the good - rather assimilate the good and find a way to make it their own.

Bonny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2009, 10:04 pm

So your dead, now what?.............

THE FOCUS and FORCE is elsewhere.

Currently, I'm in alignment with Sand,

quote]A normal human lifespan is really quite short. Maybe in another thousand years I might get bored but I'm willing to give it a try.[/quote]

When i'm dying, i hope to be singing-like Brian.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

I don't want to die.... :cry:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 9:09 am

lithium73 wrote:
Just curious as to others thoughts about what happens beyond death. I am not talking religion here. Been there done that. Do we 'sleep perchance to dream', float off amongst the clouds. Lurk around down here pestering children and relatives. Or are we just worm food. Your thoughts?

Have you ever received a total anesthetic (for an surgery)? If so, you have had a preview of death. Once out, no awareness, no thought, no memory. Just total nothingness. The mean difference between a total anesthetic and dying, is after the anesthetic you wake up.

ruveyn

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

Im going to Disney World!