Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 4:56 am

The link below shows a list of skills shortages that the UK government says require immigration. I cannot believe some of the job titles on this list:

Skill Shortage List

I think this is evidence that the UK Government has given up on its own people and is encouraging private businesses to not take on and train young people in the UK.

I am sure I heard there were around 100,000 graduates in the UK looking for work!

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2013, 6:40 am

I think you have to see it from a business stand point as well. Why would they want to spend their own money training people when they could just hire someone from abroad who is already qualified and experienced? Is this necessarily a bad thing? These people will pay taxes and contribute to our economy. But I do agree that the government should do more to train local people.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:52 am

UK is looking for artists!

Someone should spread the word to Israel.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt225678.html

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2013, 8:35 am

In America we are having a similar situation.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

Robdemanc wrote:
I am sure I heard there were around 100,000 graduates in the UK looking for work!

How many of those 100,000 have got a degree that is of any use?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Who knows? But if they completed a 3 or 4 year course they have shown commitment to see something through, which surely stands for something.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

HauntedKnight wrote:
I think you have to see it from a business stand point as well. Why would they want to spend their own money training people when they could just hire someone from abroad who is already qualified and experienced? Is this necessarily a bad thing? These people will pay taxes and contribute to our economy. But I do agree that the government should do more to train local people.

From the business point of view it still makes sense to train people. If a company takes on someone and spends a little on training them in the necessary skills then they will be increasing the pool of resource for said skills, which will help bring salaries down for them. Corporations have the money to reduce this apparent lack of skills in the workforce but they don't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 4:25 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Who knows? But if they completed a 3 or 4 year course they have shown commitment to see something through, which surely stands for something.

Commitment and liberal arts degrees are worth much less than you might think in environments that require degrees in engineering, mathematics, science, or technology.

I'd rather have an engineer than a poet design a power distribution system, or a surgeon than a historian removing a tumor.

But everyone in America (it seems) wants a degree in Art, English, History, Politics, Psychology, or Social Work instead.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Commitment and liberal arts degrees are worth much less than you might think in environments that require degrees in engineering, mathematics, science, or technology.

I'd rather have an engineer than a poet design a power distribution system, or a surgeon than a historian removing a tumor.

But everyone in America (it seems) wants a degree in Art, English, History, Politics, Psychology, or Social Work instead.

Because the Liberal Arts are actually fun to study.
And yes, I have a BA in history, so I was one of those guys.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
The link below shows a list of skills shortages that the UK government says require immigration. !

Maybe they think if they invite 14 billion Romanians and Bulgarians to come and live here, there is bound to be at least one Nuclear waste engineer amongst them.

Either that or its an excuse to turn Britain into a third world country so that the Global bankers will find us easier to control, (when we are totally collapsed and begging for the crumbs that drop from their table).

If people keep voting for the Labour/Conservative/Liberal banking party every election, then we will continue down the same road of destruction.

I wonder if many Jews voted for the Nazi party?, though I guess they were not as stupid as us.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 4:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

I agree with your point. But the list I provide a link for claims there is a shortage of artists and musicians in Britain.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 5:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

Because the Liberal Arts are actually fun to study.
And yes, I have a BA in history, so I was one of those guys.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I think this oppinion could be a cause of the problem. So I fully accept that studying liberal arts was fun for you. The thing is: Studying engineering can also be a lot of fun for many people. But in society to study technic and engineering is presented as "boring". Lots of numbers, lots of math, ...

But engineering includes so many scientific stuff as physic, chemicals, biology, ... math is only the base to understand whats behind the physic and so on. So its about understanding how the world is functioning from the smallest part of an atom to the largest environment. So sure this is not fascinating for everyone, but sure there would be enough being fascinating by that, if people wouldnt tell everywhere that engineering was so boring and only about numbers. :( I´d say it is an advantage to me, that there is a high nerd- and geekfactor around the engineering departements. So lots of social stuff thats responsible for making the life of Aspies more complicated, can be ignored. Noone cares for me having no hairstyle, wearing no Make up, and the standard uniform of engineers is flat sport shoes/securtity shoes, sturdy trousers = Jeans and T-Shirt/pullover. I love it. I have an interesting working area, I get to know new problems I have to solve, I am free of that styling s**t ^^, and while the hipsters academics visit restaurants where they pay 40 EUR for tiny portions we meet to eat steaks and spare ribs. ^^

I see nothing bad about Art, English, History, Politics, Psychology, or Social Work, I only wished that learning scientific knowledge would be presented as "cool" as well. :( Instead in film and televisions the scientific guys are always the weird, geeky ones, that can do cool stuff but are always beside the glittering main characters. :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 7:57 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Commitment and liberal arts degrees are worth much less than you might think in environments that require degrees in engineering, mathematics, science, or technology. I'd rather have an engineer than a poet design a power distribution system, or a surgeon than a historian removing a tumor. But everyone in America (it seems) wants a degree in Art, English, History, Politics, Psychology, or Social Work instead.
I agree with your point. But the list I provide a link for claims there is a shortage of artists and musicians in Britain.

Shock! Horrors!

So what if the British would rather be entertained than be entertaining?

Round up all of the chavs, give them each a guitar, and let them busk for their bread!

It isn't the U.K. that has given up on its people, but the people of the U.K. that have given up on themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

Funny that it says artists, there are a lot of artists and digital artists in my area (the north east) who have had to get jobs working in factorys despite their qualifications because there is no demand for their skills. Not many people can afford to move to an area that needs artists because those are more affluent areas with high living costs. It seems our gvernment would rather import artists than help their own pursue the career they studied for.

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

crookedfingers wrote:
Funny that it says artists, there are a lot of artists and digital artists in my area (the north east) who have had to get jobs working in factorys despite their qualifications because there is no demand for their skills. Not many people can afford to move to an area that needs artists because those are more affluent areas with high living costs. It seems our gvernment would rather import artists than help their own pursue the career they studied for.

As far as I can see, the only artists it lists are those with specific skills, e.g. animators, graphic designers and dancers.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 1:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Commitment and liberal arts degrees are worth much less than you might think in environments that require degrees in engineering, mathematics, science, or technology. I'd rather have an engineer than a poet design a power distribution system, or a surgeon than a historian removing a tumor. But everyone in America (it seems) wants a degree in Art, English, History, Politics, Psychology, or Social Work instead.

Shock! Horrors!

So what if the British would rather be entertained than be entertaining?

Round up all of the chavs, give them each a guitar, and let them busk for their bread!

It isn't the U.K. that has given up on its people, but the people of the U.K. that have given up on themselves.

People in the UK do not give up on themselves. There is a lot of creativity here even though the education system has failed generations of children and teenagers.