Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:19 pm

A sweeping government policy for all new births in the United States has just passed the House of Representatives and is now headed to the Senate. The Mother’s Act, if passed, will mandate that all new mothers be screened by means of a list of subjective questions that will determine if each mother is mentally fit to take their newborn home from the hospital. Just imagine that after your child is born, you are told that you can’t take them home since a multiple choice questionnaire wasn’t answered "correctly". Just imagine being told that the only way you can take your child home is if you or your spouse goes into treatment or on anti-depressants. It just doesn’t make sense. Unfortunately, this bill is on a fast track–No public debate, and no public disclosure of the broad impact on our society that it will have.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Last edited by LiberalJustice on 21 Sep 2009, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:26 pm

Interesting. Please link.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:36 pm

claire333 wrote:
Interesting. Please link.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Richards/byron51.html

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:48 pm

"The web page cannot be found"

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:52 pm

claire333 wrote:
Try this link, then. http://www.cchr.org/mothers_act.html

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:03 pm

Thank you. The second link does not make any mention of mothers not being allowed to take their infants home, and seems the bill may have a different purpose. I will read the bill before commenting...perhaps tomorrow.

The bill, for anyone else interested...
Mother's Act

Edit: Sorry, It seems this one has been around for a while. Current version:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-20

Last edited by claire-333 on 21 Sep 2009, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:11 pm

claire333 wrote:
Thank you. The second link does not make any mention of mothers not being allowed to take their infants home, and seems the bill may have a different purpose. I will read the bill before commenting...perhaps tomorrow.

The bill, for anyone else interested...
Mother's Act
Other sites mention this possibility, though.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 8:27 pm

You should really read the bill before you comment on it. I read it and it is nothing more than a grant for healthcare providers to provide education on postpardum depression or psychosis to all women after pregnancy (including those not resulting in a live birth), their families, and the general public via PSA's. It also allows the National Institute for Mental Health to conduct a comprehensive study on the subject as well as provides funding for treatment in certain cases, including home-based health services, transportation services, and respite care.

This sort of research and funding is long overdue, IMO. It's very similar to the shaken baby syndrome campaign. There is absolutely no mandate for screening nor is there any provision for preventing a mom to take her baby home. No need or excuse for fear mongoring in this instance.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:09 am

number5 wrote:
You should really read the bill before you comment on it. I read it and it is nothing more than a grant for healthcare providers to provide education on postpardum depression or psychosis to all women after pregnancy (including those not resulting in a live birth), their families, and the general public via PSA's. It also allows the National Institute for Mental Health to conduct a comprehensive study on the subject as well as provides funding for treatment in certain cases, including home-based health services, transportation services, and respite care.

This sort of research and funding is long overdue, IMO. It's very similar to the shaken baby syndrome campaign. There is absolutely no mandate for screening nor is there any provision for preventing a mom to take her baby home. No need or excuse for fear mongoring in this instance.
The text states that it is a FEDERAL bill, do you think there is one woman it would exclude?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:00 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
A sweeping government policy for all new births in the United States has just passed the House of Representatives and is now headed to the Senate. The Mother’s Act, if passed, will mandate that all new mothers be screened by means of a list of subjective questions that will determine if each mother is mentally fit to take their newborn home from the hospital. Just imagine that after your child is born, you are told that you can’t take them home since a multiple choice questionnaire wasn’t answered "correctly". Just imagine being told that the only way you can take your child home is if you or your spouse goes into treatment or on anti-depressants. It just doesn’t make sense. Unfortunately, this bill is on a fast track–No public debate, and no public disclosure of the broad impact on our society that it will have.

Sounds bad. I suspect it won't last in a court case attacking its constitutionality. I can see a ninth amendment case right off.

A law like this is a clear case of Good Intentions running amok.

PS. What is the number of the bill in the House and in the Senate?

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
claire333 wrote:

"The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) is an advocacy group established in 1969 by the Church of Scientology"

All you need to know.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 12:21 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
number5 wrote:

The text states that it is a FEDERAL bill, do you think there is one woman it would exclude?

I don't rely on sites or quotes that appear to have the sole purpose of fear mongering.

A lot of crazy things get proposed in congress, but few will ever become reality, and if something really is about to, you will be hearing about it from every so called mainstream media source.

There is always the possibility of unintended consequences, of course, but the more extreme of those (which the sort of thing you are talking about would be) usually get caught and fixed vary quickly.

The world does not believe that every mother should be screened before taking home her child; it won't happen.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm

skafather84 wrote:
LiberalJustice wrote:
claire333 wrote:

"The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) is an advocacy group established in 1969 by the Church of Scientology"

All you need to know.

:idea: That would completely explain the manufactured fear of a public awareness campaign about postpardum depression/psychosis, considering Scientology's views on mental illness.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:39 pm

I find nothing sinister in this bill. Postpardum depression is one of those things that is not discussed enough, and its results invoke reactions of either anger or shameful wispers. I admit I am one who is angered by the subject, but also admit I know that reaction is wrong. I see nothing wrong with providing new mothers with information to enable them to recognize the signs of depression, as well as support and contacts for services if they do.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:46 pm

We should have an IQ test before people are allowed to even get pregnant

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:48 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
LiberalJustice wrote:
number5 wrote:

I don't rely on sites or quotes that appear to have the sole purpose of fear mongering.

A lot of crazy things get proposed in congress, but few will ever become reality, and if something really is about to, you will be hearing about it from every so called mainstream media source.

There is always the possibility of unintended consequences, of course, but the more extreme of those (which the sort of thing you are talking about would be) usually get caught and fixed vary quickly.

The world does not believe that every mother should be screened before taking home her child; it won't happen.
Politicians can sneak things in billls, you know.