Help wanted: political activists with OCD tendencies

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 10:29 pm

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
(Popularly attributed to Voltaire, but actually coined by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.)

Please check out OperationCanYouHearUsNow.com (CYHUN)

While this group speaks in a language that is offensive to me, I think that the idea is a good one, and worth replicating, in a voice that more Liberal-minded people can hear.

We have lots of problems today. And the main issue is that we do not have freedom of the press. Examples abound on all sides. The public airways have been hijacked by corporate interests. It’s called a “monopoly,” and it’s absolutely illegal, but there’s no way to get that message through.

A million people physically show up for “Tea Party,” and the media doesn’t acknowledge it at all. I’m not a Tea Partyer, but even I can see that there’s something profoundly wrong with that. Other times, they acknowledge an event only with ridicule.

My pet issue is in NYCCAN.org. 80,000 New York voters signed a petition to put their referendum on the November ballot, and the city council illegally refused to put it on the ballot.

The syndicated media is owned, lock, stock and barrel, by the wrong people, and no power on earth will persuade them to allow the truth to be told. The only way to change this situation is by legally forcing a break up of their monopoly. And the only way to do that is to wake up the people to the fact that the mass media is controlled by our worst enemies.

This is not about Republicans or Democrats or Liberals or Conservatives. None of the old labels make sense any more. It’s about the fact that the Constitution has been discarded and the people are being ignored. If and when the syndicated media acknowledges a mass movement at all, it is with ridicule, distortions and outright lies.

I voted for Obama. I still want to like him. But the simple truth is that he is not fundamentally different; he just talks pretty. His speech in Berlin, “A World That Stands As one,” that originally got my attention, plays to a completely different tune now. It sounded so pretty, but it did not promise what I thought it promised. http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/berlinvideo/

The real enemy is no longer communism or Hitler’s style of blatant fascism. The real enemy isn’t even terrorism. The real enemy today is global corporate control and the lies, distortions and fairytales they spread.

My Vision:

I would like someone to start a new branch of that same CYHUN movement, communicating and coordinating it with this “Thomas Paine” character. I would give it a similar name, such as “PROJECT CanYouHearUsNow.”

Ideally, I envision two main arms, with the participants not fully integrated. We would be essentially saying the same thing, but in a language that is less offensive to Liberals and using examples that are more compelling to a different mind-set – something my tree-hugging friends could join. The original, “Operation CYHUN” would continue ranting as they do about how their Tea Parties are being ignored, and other pet issues, while “Project CYHUN” would comment about the lack of coverage or deliberate misrepresentation of a massive anti-war demonstration.

Not identical, but complimentary. Not singing in unison, but in harmony.

Once this left arm is established, It could branch out into subcommittees that focus on all the different issues that are being censored. Activities of each subgroup could be tailored for each topic, using language that makes sense to that particular mind-set.

In whatever language, the “black ribbon offensive” (I would tweak the name) makes the statement that we want our First Amendment back. We need to end the monopoly and to restore Freedom of the Press. For all issues, big and small, mainstream and radical fringe, across the entire spectrum. Censorship is unacceptable in all its forms, no matter what issues, events and opinions are being suppressed or misrepresented.

In spite of specific political views, I like a lot of what Mr. Paine says, especially the part about not asking for donations. http://www.operationcanyouhearusnow.com ... hilosophy/

But I think he is naive to hope that the perpetrators will reform themselves, just because we ask politely. We need to also demand the enforcement of anti-monopoly laws and to push for new ones.

The only way to take back our country and to restore the Constitution is to take back control of the public airways. The Tower of Babel was destroyed for a reason. It’s time to break up the dream team.