Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EC
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2009, 10:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDbh8dXCEy4[/youtube]

I thought I'd bring something to the table that both us Atheists and Christians can agree upon, courtesy of the Westboro Baptist Church. Now, it's not just a provocative title, it actually makes perfect sense and the movie even goes into great detail with scripture to support its claim. The Westboro Baptist Church are nutjobs, but damn did they hit the mark on this one. Of course, most people just choose denial and spout this "they're not true Christians" nonsense, as they time and time again walk into the megachurches to listen to all the other fraudsters like Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell(Rest in pieces!), etc. It's a strange world.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2009, 12:12 pm

Reminds me of the Robert H. Schuller Memorial to God

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

it's an interesting group of individuals. I wonder how they became this way, if it's just brainwashing since childhood or some genetic disorder. they kinda look like they'd only f**k their own cousins :P

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:32 pm

EC, I'm having visions of that title appearing on our front page and, um ... not pleasant. Any chance of a less controversial thread title?

(I'll have to watch the video later ... can't right now)

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2009, 12:33 pm

Thank heavens the christians don't kill everyone who disagrees with them, as Allah's butchers do.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:34 pm

WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:
Thank heavens the christians don't kill everyone who disagrees with them, as Allah's butchers do.

That isn't a fair remark, since the followers of Islam vary in practice in belief.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
EC, I'm having visions of that title appearing on our front page and, um ... not pleasant. Any chance of a less controversial thread title?

Yes, how about 'Your sunnite psychiatrist is a mass murderer'?

EC
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2009, 12:53 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:

That's problematic because the message of the video is the exact same one as the title. The Westboro Baptist Church people do this a lot, for example carrying signs with "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR = REBUKE", that's why the name's a bit wonky.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 1:02 pm

Being known as a Christian does not automatically prove someone evil, but yes, Christianity is a great snake-oil deception being perpetrated by spiritual whores.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2009, 1:20 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Being known as a Christian does not automatically prove someone evil, but yes, Christianity is a great snake-oil deception being perpetrated by spiritual whores.

I rather have snake oil christians than islamic colonists in my country who will kill us all.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 1:44 pm

WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

I rather have snake oil christians than islamic colonists in my country who will kill us all.

That is not going to happen. The global elite are imposing/forcing pluralism, and no purge-the-world religion of any kind will ultimately win until the day the Creator of all says "Enough!"

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 9:48 pm

WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:

The history of christianity is the story of 2000 years of the torture and mass murder of non-christinas, christian heritics, Jews, mormons, and fellow christians ( protestants against catholics in the wars of the reformation) who disagree with the perpetrator's brand of christianity.

In sixteenth centurey Europe you could be put on the rack for eating meat on Friday- or -for NOT eating meat on Friday- depending on what country you were in.

The proper way to say what your trying to say is "thank god christians dont kill and the torture in the name of god as often as they used to- except in Northern Irelad, Lebanon, and in former Yugoslavi these days."

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 11:03 pm

EC wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That's problematic because the message of the video is the exact same one as the title. The Westboro Baptist Church people do this a lot, for example carrying signs with "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR = REBUKE", that's why the name's a bit wonky.

What about, "Discuss Video - "Your Pastor is a Whore"?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 1:24 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Christianity preaches intolerance, homophobia, sexism, racism, anti-Semitism, anti-Islam, etc.

Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Greek nor Jew, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Jesus Christ."

And dozens of other verses. I can find little in the new testament to support intolerance, homophobia, sexism, or racism. Jesus and his disciples were all Jews, so I can't imagine them being anti-Semitic. Islam did not exist for 500 years after Christ, so Jesus could hardly have been anti-Islam.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 1:33 am

EC wrote:
it actually makes perfect sense and the movie even goes into great detail with scripture to support its claim.

Citing one verse out of context is hardly "great detail." For instance, my above post is not remotely detailed, and it is at least of equal strength to the argument given in the WBC video.

Quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church are nutjobs, but damn did they hit the mark on this one. Of course, most people just choose denial and spout this "they're not true Christians" nonsense, as they time and time again walk into the megachurches to listen to all the other fraudsters like Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell(Rest in pieces!), etc. It's a strange world.

I'm not fond of megachurches or Falwell's brand of Christianity. I know that in my church, people back up their beliefs with Scripture, and their conclusions are nowhere near what Fred Phelps' inbred flock believes.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2009, 6:25 am

Orwell wrote:
EC wrote:
it actually makes perfect sense and the movie even goes into great detail with scripture to support its claim.

Citing one verse out of context is hardly "great detail." For instance, my above post is not remotely detailed, and it is at least of equal strength to the argument given in the WBC video.

Quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church are nutjobs, but damn did they hit the mark on this one. Of course, most people just choose denial and spout this "they're not true Christians" nonsense, as they time and time again walk into the megachurches to listen to all the other fraudsters like Peter Popoff, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell(Rest in pieces!), etc. It's a strange world.

I'm not fond of megachurches or Falwell's brand of Christianity. I know that in my church, people back up their beliefs with Scripture, and their conclusions are nowhere near what Fred Phelps' inbred flock believes.

They actually have a website with info on exactly why each country of the world is doomed, aptly titled GodHatesTheWorld.com. Citing mostly "false religious system", in practice meaning Muslims, Hindus, or whatever, and that is actually a good reason - The various monotheistic gods do not love infidels. The New Testament by the way doesn't annul the old one, it still goes. Jesus himself said something along the lines that he didn't come to cancel the existing laws, but to amend. I'll try to find the exact quote. Now let's be perfectly frank here: Christianity says that if you are not a Christian, you will go to hell. You personally believe this, don't you? If someone dies a Muslim, or Sikh or whatever, he will go to hell? It's like that with all the respective monotheistic Gods. This whole "Interfaith" stuff is absolute hoeey by the way - Religions want to conquer and subjugate, nothing more, nothing less. That is why they have always been at war, and always will be: It's us against them. Take a look at WhiskeyInTheJar's comment: In his eyes, Christians are the good guys, Muslims are the evil ones, even though Christians have done the exact same things. This is the mentality that religion breeds, and this is how it survives - Siege mentality, along with lies.

Now about God hating the world, I'm curious how you'll respond to this:
1 John 4:8 wrote:
God is love, but God also punishes the sinner and hates all who do iniquity. God is not one sided. He is not simply an infinitely loving God. He is also infinitely just. He must deal with sin. He must punish the sinner.