Marijuana Activist Facing Life in American Prison Over Seeds

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 4:57 pm

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/398/marcemery.shtml

Only in America, the land of the free, would someone be jailed for life for distributing seeds. Meanwhile child molesters and rapists are being released because of overcrowded prisons... :roll:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 5:57 pm

Psychlone wrote:
Only in America, the land of the free, would someone be jailed for life for distributing seeds. Meanwhile child molesters and rapists are being released because of overcrowded prisons... :roll:

I think that all three of those crimes should be a capital offense.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2005, 8:20 pm

Smacks of facism at its worst. How totally un-American to imprison someone for a victimless crime.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2005, 9:45 pm

that's effin screwed up. :? 1984 here weee come

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 10:16 pm

I think that drugdealing should definitely be punished with jail time and am always amazed when otherwise smart people don't seem to think so 8O

That having been said, life in prison for this is excessive especially for marijuana which is not a really 'hard drug'. I think a year's worth of time served is appropriate. (Did not RTFA BTW)

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 10:38 pm

The US can be so self righteous sometimes! I cannot explain in words how ticked off this made me! Why can't the US just let Canada deal with him instead of trying to be in charge of other countries' citizens!?! :x

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2005, 10:39 pm

If we were to incarcerate everyone connected with drug dealing, we would be arresting some pretty prominate and influential members of our society.

Drug law inforcement, based as it is on social stratification, rather then equal application under the law, is just one more indicator that we are living in a police state, and that justice is a word our society gives lip service too.

Marijuana was made illegal on the behest of cotton, tobacco, and oil companies.
Illegality is maintained because it continues to serve the interests of the political,social, and fiscal elite at the expense of the poor and working classes.

Just laws must be inforced justly and not arbitralily.
The rich continue to use illegal drugs, and market them with impunity, while our prisons are filled to overflowing with the poor.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 11:47 pm

oatwillie wrote:
Smacks of facism at its worst. How totally un-American to imprison someone for a victimless crime.

It ceases to be a victimless crime when stoners start doing stupid crap that affects others! :evil:

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2005, 12:12 am

Dear All,
I don't want to offend anyone, but i've got to agree with Sean here. People using drugs going to work, operating machinery, it all puts people at risk. The people who cook meth, say, hey, no one gets hurt. But what about when the house catches fire from a meth explosion? It happens quite frequently. And there are always victims.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 1:41 am

mellow wrote:
Dear All,
I don't want to offend anyone, but i've got to agree with Sean here.

So agreeing with me is considered offensive now? :lol:

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 4:36 am

Sean wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

It ceases to be a victimless crime when stoners start doing stupid crap that affects others! :evil:

What about all the crime that get's done by drunk people. Violent crime especially is more prevalent with those that are drunk than anything else.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2005, 7:23 am

Sean wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

Very true. Art Garfunkle just got busted for pot again after running a stop sign. At least he did not kill anyone....this time.

I guess you reap what you sow and when the seeds are deemed illegal in the US, the harvest season is spent behind bars.

I think lengthy jail time for cannabis, when it is by far less destructive than alcahol, is oppressive. Life in prison for this is just bizaar.

visualize whirled peas

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2005, 7:29 am

mellow wrote:
Dear All,
I don't want to offend anyone, but i've got to agree with Sean here. People using drugs going to work, operating machinery, it all puts people at risk. The people who cook meth, say, hey, no one gets hurt. But what about when the house catches fire from a meth explosion? It happens quite frequently. And there are always victims.

While cannabis and meth are two entirely different animals, hard drugs like meth can turn you into an animal.

visualize whirled peas

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:58 am

eamonn wrote:
Sean wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

What about all the crime that get's done by drunk people. Violent crime especially is more prevalent with those that are drunk than anything else.

My opinion EXACTLY. And what about cigarettes? A lot of people smoke around other people, and the second hand smoke affects people. Tell me why both of those things are worse than marijuana eh?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 4:34 pm

eamonn wrote:
Sean wrote:
oatwillie wrote:

When people use alcohol and get violent, they get arrested too.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:01 pm

I think they should illegalize alcohol and tobacco or legalize marijuana.