Would a muslim working at a cashier scan pork/alcohol?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 6:24 pm

I go grocery shopping like once a week now. I happened to have encoutered a muslim woman (i can tell cause she was wearing the hijab) at the cashier one time. I didn't happen to buy pork that time but I sometimes buy pork from the store and I was thinking at that moment if she would've scanned the pork since she believes that by scanning the pork she would "help me to get closer to commiting a sin." So what would've happened if I bought pork that time? Would she have to ask another person to scan it? Or would she not care because its a personal issue?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 7:23 pm

I doubt she'd care.

Consider this: if they really didnt like those animals they would promote their extinction.

A porcine crusade, as it were. :P

They just dont know what they are missing by not trying bacon!

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 4:01 am

Best not try to find out. You never know she might push the button on her explosives belt, or run at you with a scimitar screaming ''Infidel'' :roll:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 5:41 am

In England I've read about Muslim cashiers at major supermarkets being excused from registering alcohol and they bring the queue to a standstill while another assistant is found to swipe the barcode through the scanner. :roll:

Things are getting silly in England though full stop. The latest bit of craziness was a cashier in Morrisons supermarket refusing to sell a bottle of wine that was amongst a mountain of other groceries on the conveyor belt... because the woman's 17 year old daughter was with her and she could have been buying the alcohol for her!! ! Apparently the supermaket's management supported the cashiers action! Personally I would have left all my groceries on the conveyor and walked out of the store and left them to put the lot back on the shelves.

If a persons religious beliefs prevent them from selling particular items, then they should not be working on a checkout or any where else where they would be expected to work with the items e.g. shelf stacking. In my opinion they have excluded themselves from being employed at a supermarket full stop. In England however that is illegal and employers have to accept and work around the bizarre religious practices of its employees.

One place I worked at even had to set a room aside for the exclusive use of the one Muslim worker there to use as a prayer room, where he disappeared into several times a day to pray to Allah. All the employees were warned before his employment commenced that he would refuse to shake hands with any women, so to avoid any embarrassment none of the women employees were to welcome him by proffering a hand. Apparently it is because Islam considers women to be dirty due to their periods.

Another bit of madness and political correctness was amongst one of the English councils where an edict came down from above to say that no food was being served during meetings during the month of Ramadan due to the one member of the council that was a Muslim not being allowed to eat during daylight hours, so the rest of the council had to go without food during the meetings as not to offend the drooling Muslim.

Why don't Englands government just go the whole hog and declare England a Muslim country and enforce Sharia law on everyone and be done. Things are heading that way by attrition anyway.
/end of rant/

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 7:39 am

tallyman these examples that you give are very damning, or rather would be if they had supporting evidence. Do you have any?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 8:19 am

The actions regarding refusing to sell alcohol is one that could transpire deeper than you think. It is the person who sells the alcohol to that person or is fined up to £1,000. I wouldn't want to face that at all.

But asking if a Muslim would scan pork and alcohol is stupid. I know of some Muslims who drink. I would presume the pork thing would be similar to them as it's not them eating it.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 9:43 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
tallyman these examples that you give are very damning, or rather would be if they had supporting evidence. Do you have any?

Everything I mentioned should be fairly easy to find via Google, with the exception of the example out of my personal experience at a former employer regarding the Muslim employee having a separate room for prayer and refusing to shake hands with women. However I guess that is only a Google search away as it is unlikely to be an isolated example. I'll have a look later on Google if I have time.

Edit: Sample link to Muslims refusing alcohol at the checkouts:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23414476-muslim-checkout-staff-can-refuse-to-sell-drink.do

Edit: Link to a Muslim support site regarding their religious rights with employers:
http://www.citymuslims.org/rights.asp

Edit: Link to an article by the secularist society on the religionisation of the work place:
Quote:
“This sudden push for prayer rooms has been created by Islamic activists and taken up opportunistically by Christians. It won’t be long now before prayer rooms are mandatory and employers become further beholden to the never-ending demands of religionists.”

http://www.secularism.org.uk/suddenlyprayerroomsareessentiala.html

[url=http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23546190-muslim-council-chiefs-ban-tea-and-sandwiches-in-meetings-for-ramadan.do[/url]

Regarding refusing to shake hands there are lots of links on Google. Take your pick.
They fall into two categories.
1. Refusal to shake hands with women because it is considered too intimate and something that should only be done with one's wife.
2. Women should not be "approached" in any manner because they are dirty and unclean when having their period. This restriction stretches from sex to hand-shaking of women who may or may not be having their period.

Last edited by TallyMan on 22 Nov 2009, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 10:12 am

It would depend on the branch of Islam that particular muslim belongs to. The same with Christians and their acceptance of gays.

Working as a devote muslim at a supermarket with pork and alcohol could be considered hypocrisy and a sin. But a lot of muslims do not care if non-believers are damned by buying alcohol.

But I know some 'muslims' who drink more than me and eat anything.

xanos_25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2009, 10:17 am

I think it's going to depend on the muslim in question. I worked with a muslim pharmisist when I was a tec and he was interested in trying amarican sausage, problem was most is made from pork and his wife would refuse to ever eat anything from the stove if he ever cooked pork on it. :)

I pointed him to a few brands that have turkey and beef that where pretty good.

As with anything there are digree's and veriation.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 11:31 am

jc6chan wrote:
(i can tell cause she was wearing the hijab)

Could have been a ninja or a jedi.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 3:09 pm

When I lived in the emirates there was a small store behind a large supermarket (run by muslims) that sold alcohol and other haram items to people who could prove they were non-muslims.
Their religion only says they're not allowed to consume alcohol or pork product, I don't think there's any rule against selling it.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 10:23 pm

Yupa wrote:
When I lived in the emirates there was a small store behind a large supermarket (run by muslims) that sold alcohol and other haram items to people who could prove they were non-muslims.
Their religion only says they're not allowed to consume alcohol or pork product, I don't think there's any rule against selling it.

Maybe the customers have to sign a waiver form that the store owners believe they are heading towards Hell:P

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:01 am

There was a line of Muslim taxi drivers out in the Midwest somewhere who refused to take drunk people from the airport, or carry alcohol in their vehicles (their fares').

Makes you wonder about the pharmacists who refuse to sell birth control...how many are there, actually?

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

What about a Hindu scanning beef? Sacred cows, you know.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:37 am

Why would a Muslim scan pork? Because it is the job. If you don't like the job then don't take it.

Can you imagine a Mormon or Islamic bar tender who refused to give anyone a drink?

How about a vegan waitress in MacDonalds who refused to serve anyone a burger?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 7:54 am

TallyMan wrote:

So Sainsburys (a large national chain) have a policy of allowing the store manager to make decisions on this issue. From that article ONE store has ONE employee working under these conditions

TallyMan wrote:
Edit: Link to a Muslim support site regarding their religious rights with employers:
http://www.citymuslims.org/rights.asp

So what, this is just a site that is in support of its members, what is SOOOO shocking about the advice given here

TallyMan wrote:

See this one is a complete distortion of the truth. the headline suggests that; The leaders of a council who are muslim have banned food and drink from meetings during ramadan. When you trawl through this inflated story you come to the actual incident "In the memo to councillors, John Williams, the council's head of democratic services, said: 'It is requested that members do not partake of any refreshments until after the Iftar refreshments are served.'' This request by 'John Williams' bears very little resemblance to the screaming headline.

I am hardly a supporter of Islam, like all religions I think it is dumb, however I am also not in favour of making scapegoats