Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 2:15 pm

I heard one, if not the single, dumbest statement I have ever heard on the news where the idiots of North Korea say the have nukes and have them to protect themselves from the United States. Yes, like the U.S. has nuked them so often in the past 50 years when the U.S. had them and they did not. In fact the only time the U.S. ever had a run in with North Korea of a war like ambiance, was when the U.S. and many other nations came to South Korea's aide after it was invaded. Sure the North Koreans have plenty to fear from the U.S. with all the wars they have fought against each other over the past 5 decades, NOT. What a bunch of idiots. How could they think anyone is actually dumb enough or gullible enough to believe such bs inaccurate statement which is obviously a flat out lie. If they have anything to fear from the U.S. it is only if they do something drastically aggressive first. Morons. No wonder they are so backward and poor, aside from spending proportionally way too much on their military.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 2:34 pm

Bullies tend to worry about bigger bully's picking on them, they fear because of there own aggressions. we have a BIG stick and so they want one too, not so much against us, but to have for show to others not to mess with them, we are their excuse, in a way its expected, it don't make it right, but their bully's and tend to think that way.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 4:32 pm

I think a certain Discworld novel said it best...

"Ankh-Morpok (which represents big cities in Europe and America) hates bullies, even though in a way we are the biggest bully of them all"...

America's economy makes it so they can fiscally cripple any government they don't like... merely by declaring economic sanctions...

neotopian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2005, 5:14 pm

Good to see another Pratchett fan!

Just posted pratchett message on the "general discussion/what does your avatar represent" thread today after changing to the Death's Head

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2005, 6:39 pm

Quote:
If they have anything to fear from the U.S. it is only if they do something drastically aggressive first.

Frankly, I'd be a bit paranoid about the intentions of the United States if I were a leader of North Korea, myself. Bush has previously described North Korea as being part of the same "axis of evil" as Iraq, a country that the United States has recently devastated.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 9:06 pm

Its a well known fact that only those responsible and upstanding keepers of the peace and defenders of moral justice, the United States, can be allowed to have nuclear weapons. If North Korea does get them, God forbid, then who knows what they'll do next? Invade a foreign country to advance their own narrow political interests perhaps? 8O This treacherous act of infamy must be prevented now before its too late!

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 9:21 pm

Before I start I just want to say that this is not about America-bashing, it is about logic.

People in the US talk about how they are the good guys. They state they protect and defend international freedoms. It is always the other countries that are more evil than the US. The US goes on about having to disarm everyone else's nuclear (or if you're George W. Bush, nukyular) weapons. The ironic thing is the US has more nuclear weapons than any other country! The US has also been the only country in history to use a nuclear weapon. What makes America's weapons okay, and everyone else's wrong (not that anyone should have those types of weapons), does this make sense to anyone else? Is it because Americans are the 'good guys' and the other countries are 'evil'? Let me say this again: AMERICA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY THAT HAS EVER USED A NUCLEAR (i.e. the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki) WEAPON!! ! It just doesn't make sense to me that the US insists that other countries disarm, while they have the exact same weapons.

Off topic: I just noticed I'm a Snowy Owl...like Hedwig! Cool!

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Feb 2005, 10:39 pm

US: Hey, North Korea, dismantle your nuclear weapon.

North Korea: No prob! but your gonna sign us an agreement that you garantee you won't attack us.

US: No! we cannot garantee that!

North Korea: Well, what do you think we're gonna do ?

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2005, 11:59 pm

maybe if iraq had had a nuclear capability before gulf war 2 they wouldnt have been invaded? actually no maybe about it

the u.s has provided the perfect incentive for both north korea and iran to develop nukes by invading countries without pretext

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2005, 2:59 am

And North Korea's behavior is such a good way to prove Bush's statement wrong, right Jay?

Bec. When nukes were developed:
they did not know how powerful they were or about the radiation effects? and if there had not been those bombings there may have been a lot more later during the cold war like the missle crisis or the Berlin airlift.
Japan had 900,000 troops on Kyushu alone and 28,000,000 citizens whom the japanese expected to fight. The U.S. had reason to believe the japanese would fight to the last man after experinces at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. 29 million japanese and 7 million americans is alot smaller than the 150,000 or so that died in the bombings. More died when the allies bombed Dresden in Germany too, than in the nuke bombings.
There are already several nations that have nukes, and we have not had problems with them since they have stable non aggressive governments.
We have more nukes because we were racing with the Soviets during the cold war, the soviets had more missles and the U.S. had more warheads. around 30,000 at last count if I recall correctly. and maybe 22,000 for the soviets. Either way that is enough to wipe out the planet from either side several times over. Even China has about 300.

If Iraq had nukes, Israel would be gone and by them so would half of Iraq.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2005, 6:04 am

Epimonandas wrote:
And North Korea's behavior is such a good way to prove Bush's statement wrong, right Jay?

Bec. When nukes were developed:
they did not know how powerful they were or about the radiation effects? and if there had not been those bombings there may have been a lot more later during the cold war like the missle crisis or the Berlin airlift.
Japan had 900,000 troops on Kyushu alone and 28,000,000 citizens whom the japanese expected to fight. The U.S. had reason to believe the japanese would fight to the last man after experinces at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. 29 million japanese and 7 million americans is alot smaller than the 150,000 or so that died in the bombings. More died when the allies bombed Dresden in Germany too, than in the nuke bombings.
There are already several nations that have nukes, and we have not had problems with them since they have stable non aggressive governments.
We have more nukes because we were racing with the Soviets during the cold war, the soviets had more missles and the U.S. had more warheads. around 30,000 at last count if I recall correctly. and maybe 22,000 for the soviets. Either way that is enough to wipe out the planet from either side several times over. Even China has about 300.

If Iraq had nukes, Israel would be gone and by them so would half of Iraq.

Fact is, the US invades countries it doesn't like that don't have nukes, and it runs screaming from countries it doesn't like that do have nukes - if I were a middle eastern nation who didn't want to brown-nose those warmongering dolts in Washington, I'd be developing me some nuclear weapons, no 2 ways about it........ Perhaps if the US stopped acting like a megalomaniac school kid then these nations might feel secure enough not to go dragging us down the road of armageddon Bush is paving.....

And let's cure ourselves of this ludicrous old falacy shall we? Nukes were used on Japan to frighten the Soviets and prevent WWIII - not to end WWII...... Japan was already finished and looking for a way to end the war before the bombs were dropped - they changed nothing in Japan's resolve.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2005, 10:19 am

Epimonandas wrote:
If they have anything to fear from the U.S. it is only if they do something drastically aggressive first.

What "drastically agressive something" did Iraq do to warrant invasion by the U.S.?

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2005, 1:25 pm

Quote:

Can you explain which particular behavior you mean? I'm assuming that you don't mean developing or stockpiling nuclear weapons, because this is a behavior that the United States has also engaged in.

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2005, 1:54 pm

What the hell is wrong with North Korea? I know people from North Korea and they say that life is good. Man, the white man needs to stop bein' prejudiced against countries of color.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2005, 2:23 pm

Thought you were a Bush fan Tali?

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2005, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Thought you were a Bush fan Tali?

Exactly what I thought, duncvis! It seems kind of hypocritical to talk about the 'powerful white man' and 'invading' other countries and still be a Republican. I don't mean to offend anyone, but could you please explain what you mean, Tali?