Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Is Christmas Held At The Wrong Time of Year in The Southern Hemisphere?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 16

prf
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm

Does anyone else get upset that Christmas is held at the wrong time of year in the Southern Hemisphere? If my thinking is correct, the whole purpose of having a celebration on December 22nd (in the Northern Hemisphere), is to celebrate the increasing hours of daylight that bring better living conditions (less need for food and possessions).

I think that having Christmas at the wrong time of year puts people out of touch with the seasons, and encourages people to conduct themselves improperly.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm

While the bright lights and singing help liven up the coldest & darkest days of the year up north.. there is much more to the season. The reason x-mas is in the middle of winter is because the church had to find a way to overpower a pagan holiday. The rebirth of the sun god was replaced with the birth of the son of God. I think by best estimates from the stories of Jesus's birth.. he was born around July.

I am not sure if there are any celebrations down down South that celebrate the end of winter and the rebirth of the sun. I am sure the natives may have something in their history that can be revived as a winter celebration.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 12:36 am

prf wrote:
Does anyone else get upset that Christmas is held at the wrong time of year in the Southern Hemisphere? If my thinking is correct, the whole purpose of having a celebration on December 22nd (in the Northern Hemisphere), is to celebrate the increasing hours of daylight that bring better living conditions (less need for food and possessions).

I think that having Christmas at the wrong time of year puts people out of touch with the seasons, and encourages people to conduct themselves improperly.

Its at precisly the right time as with all holidays.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 12:53 am

Two points....

First; We have the feast? of the Immaculate Conception on December 8. Either the I.C. wasn't 9 months or someone got their dates very wrong...

Secondly; We have "Christmas in July" downunder - and it's common for us to go to snowy (or at least slightly colder) areas for a second Christmas then. The more the merrier I say.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 3:08 pm

I had heard that Jesus was likely born in June or July, but I thought it was more to do with discrepancies between the Jewish and Roman calendars.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2009, 6:15 pm

Most cultures tend to have a festival of lights in the dead of winter to improve morale "yeah were gonna make it".

As pointed out above- christmas was placed on a date that was a traditional pagan day of that purpose and thus has no relation to the actual date of christs birth.

So- I guess if your an aussie you can have the best of both worlds. Celebrate christmas aroung the time he was actually born- july- AND have a festival of lights to make the antipodal winter bearable on the same holiday. Forget dec. 25th.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 1:20 am

From what I've heard, Jesus (if he ever actually existed, that is) was most likely born around Spring time. Of course, Spring is for Easter and Winter seems a more befitting time of the year to celebrate Christmas. I'm not sure why, it just seems more merrier during Winter. :roll:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 8:34 am

Considering "Christmas" is nothing but the Christianized version of a pagan holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice, I say it is incorrect for the southern hemisphere.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 8:46 am

I suppose it lends a similar effect to celebrate Christmas in the southern portion of the United states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc. - definitely no snow and plenty of 70 degree weather.

I guess I'd just enjoy the idea that you can go kite surfing before you have Christmas dinner with your family :).

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:56 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Considering "Christmas" is nothing but the Christianized version of a pagan holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice, I say it is incorrect for the southern hemisphere.

Agreed.

If 'Christmas' is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, then the holiday is in the wrong season altogether. Jesus wasn't born in December. All the celebrations that occur such as trees, holly, mistletoe, lights, etc. is celebrating the Winter Solstice.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 6:18 pm

Jesus was born around October, a very important time of year including such events as Creation.
Jesus did 3 1/2 years Ministry starting when he was 30, work back 1/2 year from his death in March April, and you get October.

As has been pointed, December 25th is the birthday of the Sun god Tammuz who killed his Father and Married his own mother starting the pagan concept of the Trinity, his sign was the Sacred "T", usually presented as the so called Christain cross, often with the circle of the sun super imposed on it.
His Mother, Semi-remis, was therefore, the mother of god, the maddona, Queen of Heaven, the feritility godess Astarte or Easter, (bunnies and eggs see).

Just as Jesus said, he doesnt return until the great apostasy comes first, the great apostasy being the Devil pretending to be Jesus and getting the world to worship him.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 2:40 pm

If you go by the description of the scenes in the Gospels concerning Mary and Josephs travels and lodging the best guess would be sometime in the autumn, late August or September.

The celebration was placed at the time of the Saturnalia, the time of the winter solstice, to co-opt pagan celebrations.

Jesus was not NOT born in Bethlehem. He was born in the Bronx to a Jewish couple, Joe and Miriam.

ruveyn

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Dec 2009, 8:31 pm

it would greatly upset me and i would be confused if i lived in the southern hemphisphere with christmas being all lacking in snow and pine trees. yikes i'd move pronto like to something more northern oh my goodness

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 2:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I suppose it lends a similar effect to celebrate Christmas in the southern portion of the United states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc. - definitely no snow and plenty of 70 degree weather.

I guess I'd just enjoy the idea that you can go kite surfing before you have Christmas dinner with your family :).

Amen to that!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 8:41 pm

I was watching last week's episode of Bones and one of the characters said that Jesus was actually born in March.

Interesting...

That would explain why people would be herding sheep out at night in cold weather...then again isnt Israel far south enough that it's not affected so much by cold weather?

Hmm...

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2009, 7:09 pm

Then the Equtorians would miss out on the 'cold time of year festival' altogether.