I thought it was quite amusing, Sean. :wink:

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2006, 3:55 am

:lol:

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

25 Feb 2006, 6:10 am

Sean wrote:
WTF was that all about?

Im with you sean.
It wasnt that funny, Renegade, but hey, what ever floats your boat.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2006, 7:54 pm

I don't even get it...

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 12:29 am

Sean wrote:
WTF was that all about?

well-known grunge band wrote:
He's the one, who likes all the pretty songs
And he likes to sing along and he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means, knows not what it means
And I say, yeah.....

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2006, 8:51 pm

Is the joke that Americans are rude, obnoxious, lazy, and stupid? If so, I am genuinely offended. :x

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2006, 11:17 am

The character is from Viz, a British magazine. It's the same magazine that features Mr Logic, who was based on the illustrator's (then undiagnosed) aspie brother.
There's a thread about Mr Logic in the General Discussion area.

Anyway, as far as I can see the comic strip wasnt poking fun at Americans but at British kids who talk like Americans. Or, if not British kids in particular, then British people in general.
You get DJs on the radio in Britain talking with a weird transatlantic twang, and you get British TV adverts featuring people using Americanized phrases - like "most excellent!" (sooo 1990s!) - that sound totally incongruous with their posh English accents.
At least there was a lot of this sort of thing going on until recently. Now it has become quite fashionable in Britain to bash America. Or white America at least. Now you'll find kids in every suburb in Britain wearing baseball caps and talking like Black American rappers.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 5:45 pm

So Brits think we all talk like Beaver Cleaver do they? And why are they using a volleyball?

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2006, 7:14 pm

Klytus wrote:
Now you'll find kids in every suburb in Britain wearing baseball caps and talking like Black American rappers.

I truly appologize for that.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2006, 3:03 am

I thought it was funny, too. Sort of like how an alien might act on Earth if the only referents he had were TV and radio broadcasts. Obviously, the writer picked the most prevalent stereotypes from our culture: one minute the kid sounds like he's on "Green Acres;" the next minute, like an extra on "Bonanza;" then in the next panel it's like he swallowed a hip-hop album but was only able to digest the easiest bits.
It reminded me of some of the satire in Burroughs' Naked Lunch where he parodies the speech of racist Southerners to show how ugly and ignorant they are. So you could say that if reflects the cartoonist's opinions of American culture, or you could say he was showing how kids like to imitate other cultures' speech patterns and mannerisms. Or both. Or some other point of view. It depends on your own.
Personally, I think this is a pretty good country, but it needs some work. And, in my opinion, it needs a new President and Cabinet--one that actually gives a rat's behind about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Immediately, if not sooner.