Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:14 pm

would god shut down the universe? Close up shop?

If we truly have free will, then its possible, as a species, to thwart gods will and wipe out our own existence, either in advance of his plans or at odds with them.

What say you, true believer?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:15 am

Fuzzy wrote:

If we truly have free will, then its possible, as a species, to thwart gods will and wipe out our own existence, either in advance of his plans or at odds with them.

Since psychologists are having problems analyzing what goes on in the mind of a chicken you really are asking too much of the feeble analytical skills of true believers to psychoanalyze God.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:30 am

Fuzzy wrote:
If we truly have free will,

We don't.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:54 am

I can't bring myself to believe that a God capable of creating something as intricate and wondrous as this universe could possibly have restricted Himself to creating life only once, nor can I believe that He would have made this whole thing just to entertain us.

If we manage to wipe ourselves out, He will shrug and hope one of the other intelligent species turns out a little better...

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 7:12 am

This is going with the theory that God exists right?

It's an impossible question to answer either way and we wouldn't know the outcome because we'd be wiped out. I assume the post-apocalyptic wasteland would be cool to look at though!

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 1:35 pm

Sand wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Since psychologists are having problems analyzing what goes on in the mind of a chicken you really are asking too much of the feeble analytical skills of true believers to psychoanalyze God.

qft.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 3:20 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

We don't.

Then god is one nasty, bloodthirsty, vindictive, SOB.

Considering this maybe the devil is the good guy, as in he tried to rid the universe of a vicious despot

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 5:05 pm

well, none 'o us would be around to find out, innit the truth?...;)

the blogs would fall silent...
Everything in 'Life after People' would come true...;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 5:26 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

We probably could wipe ourselves out. Whether we go extinct naturally or by our own doings, the universe would keep on going.

ruveyn

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2009, 12:18 pm

We live on a planet, circling around a sun. There are a number of other planets also in orbit with this sun. This "sun" star is in a cluster of stars. This cluster is in a super cluster of star clusters, in the arm of a galaxy approximately 120million light years across. There are many billions of stars in this galaxy. This galaxy is just one of many though. There are hundreds of *millions* of galaxies, all having millions-billions+ stars in them.

1 light year is about 9.4605284 × 10^15 metres (9,460,528,400,000,000m)
A very rough estimate for the size (diameter) of the *observable* universe is 20 billion light years, or

189,219,568,000,000,000,000,000,000m, and
12,756,000m for diameter of the earth

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Did-You- ... 9306.shtml

found this article.

Now I really highly doubt that if a God did indeed exist and create the universe he would even notice us on our insignificant little speck we call Earth. Let alone care.

By the way it was fun looking up this astronomy stuff, now I'm too exited to go to sleep and its after 1am, curse you!! ! :P

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 3:38 pm

If the human species were to be wiped off the planet, then the earth would simply go on with life and, eventually, a new species will rise up and take over. It's an endless cycle.

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2009, 5:11 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

We don't.

We have all the free will that matters. We are free to do what we want to do (and only that).

We may not have free choice over what we want to do, but we do always do what we want to do.

We may be physically restrained by causality to only do one thing; to only make one choice of many, but that choice is always also the one we want to make.
The freedom to do what we don't want to do would be pointless.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 6:04 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
maybe the devil is the good guy, as in he tried to rid the universe of a vicious despot

I've considered this before.

The reasoning is that because going against an all-powerful being is always has bad expected consequences, there are only two options for the devil's nature:
1) The devil is insane
2) The devil is morally opposed to God.

The devil cannot have a rational assessment of reality and be egoistic and oppose God. Given that the last is often considered necessary for the devil to be considered the devil, either egoism or rationality must be false assumptions.

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2009, 7:38 pm

pfft!
Where is your imagination AG?

3) He could be ignorant about god's all-powerfulness
4) he could be acting against his will. i.e. forced by god or something else to do evil.
5) He might just enjoy his vocation, despite the futility. i.e. like arguing on the internet.
6) Seeing as god allows him in the first place, he could be doing evil for a good purpose (i.e. to give man meaningful moral choice between good and evil). <--Paradox?

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 7:42 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
maybe the devil is the good guy, as in he tried to rid the universe of a vicious despot

I've considered this before.

The reasoning is that because going against an all-powerful being is always has bad expected consequences, there are only two options for the devil's nature:
1) The devil is insane
2) The devil is morally opposed to God.

The devil cannot have a rational assessment of reality and be egoistic and oppose God. Given that the last is often considered necessary for the devil to be considered the devil, either egoism or rationality must be false assumptions.

In Judaism, Satan is just the chief prosecutor in the heavenly court - a servant of God, albeit one who holds each person accountable for their crimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:58 am

If mankind wiped itself out, I'd pick up some chinese take-out. 8)