Of both.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Of both.

You make it so easy for yourself. The problems arise when you have to make a choice.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:39 pm

Sand wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of both.

You make it so easy for yourself. The problems arise when you have to make a choice.

All but the most extreme pro-lifers will accept that when such a choice is required, it rests on the mother. It's very difficult to justify a policy that would legally compel one person to lay down their life for another.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:

quote expunged by mr dent

ruveyn

Sometimes ruveyn you make me squirm with embarrassment at the realisation that we are from the same species. I generally find your views and beliefs to be ignorant and vile but I choose ignore you. This however is beyond the pale. Magnus wrote about an extremely harrowing incident that included some pretty full on nightmares. Knowing the sort of spiritual views that she holds it is fairly obvious that this incident would have taken an extraordinary emotional toll upon her, and yet you choose to write the comment you did

Like many with Aspergers I do not quite comprehend empathy, but I am fully able to use logic and reason to work out when someone is hurting, you are either incapable of such logic and reason or you are so lacking in compassion that you just don't give a s**t. Either way you deserve un-restrained contempt for your comment

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Last edited by DentArthurDent on 31 Dec 2009, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 8:12 am

Sand wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of both.

Except that the cases where such a choice is necessary are exceptionally rare compared to how many procedures are done every year.

I think most sensible pro-life people would agree that (1) in a case where the life of the mother is absolutely in jeopardy, and medical science can not offer a realistic chance of saving both mother and baby, allowing a pregnancy to be terminated is reasonable; and (2) in a case where the pregnancy is the result of forcible rape, it is unreasonable to mandate that the mother MUST bring the child to term.

That would reduce the number of abortions by over 90%.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 8:20 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Sand wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of both.

Except that the cases where such a choice is necessary are exceptionally rare compared to how many procedures are done every year.

I think most sensible pro-life people would agree that (1) in a case where the life of the mother is absolutely in jeopardy, and medical science can not offer a realistic chance of saving both mother and baby, allowing a pregnancy to be terminated is reasonable; and (2) in a case where the pregnancy is the result of forcible rape, it is unreasonable to mandate that the mother MUST bring the child to term.

That would reduce the number of abortions by over 90%.

I would agree that you are probably right. The problem arises of finding a reasonable number of sensible pro-life people.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 8:43 am

ruveyn, I understand your philosophy of self first, then family, then country and screw everyone else. I fully expect you to be callous and cruel in the promotion of that creed.

But when you are completely nasty and heartless to someone that bears their soul like magnus did - not even for any personal gain I might add- I wonder if your personal ethos are just a smoke screen - a lie - to cover your sociopathy.

Get the picture? I no longer think you have any morals at all. I think the only pleasure in your life is inflicting pain on others.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 9:48 am

Religious pro lifers, what if you were a pregnant woman and an image from god told you to abort your child?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 9:57 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
Religious pro lifers, what if you were a pregnant woman and an image from god told you to abort your child?

The proposed situation is more or less in line with the story of Abraham who was asked to sacrifice his son to prove his devotion. God let Abraham off the hook on that one but it sure was a nasty request.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 10:07 am

Sand wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:

The proposed situation is more or less in line with the story of Abraham who was asked to sacrifice his son to prove his devotion. God let Abraham off the hook on that one but it sure was a nasty request.

Lets say this time god won't let the person off the hook.

You are pregnant with the antichrist and are pro-life.

Your health is not at threat.

What do you do?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 10:25 am

TheOddGoat wrote:
Sand wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:

What do you do?

I am not pro-life nor religious nor a woman so the situation would not arise for me and I am sure a religious person would answer that God would not put you in that situation.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 10:57 am

Sand wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:
Sand wrote:
TheOddGoat wrote:

What do you do?

I am not pro-life nor religious nor a woman so the situation would not arise for me and I am sure a religious person would answer that God would not put you in that situation.

The first thing I thought when I was believing that God was talking to me, and sending me messages about a immaculately conceived child, I thought I was going crazy. I actually believed it faithfully before I realized that I was delusional about some other things. So, when one thing was wrong for sure, I doubted all of my beliefs.

I wasn't strong enough to carry it out. The lady at the doctors office told me that it would be an abnormal birth. I asked her why, but she didn't elaborate. She just said it didn't look normal. My 3 year old son was born with tuberous sclerosis and was given the prognosis of either being autistic or schizophrenic. He is a miracle child though. So, I was afraid this new baby would have serious problems. I panicked and got the abortion in the second trimester. That is when I entered into a psychosis. I'm fine now, so don't be afraid of me too much. I hope I can still post on PPR without losing all credibility.

Here is Milo at the train station. He loves trains.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

From personal experience I have learned that having and raising a child properly is one of the most difficult efforts a person can undertake. It has given me great problems and I would not decide for anyone else about the procedure. It is a very personal decision and if someone requests help in the matter it should be given. Frequently it s not.Most people are not competent to advise wisely.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 11:10 am

From personal experience I have learned that having and raising a child properly is one of the most difficult efforts a person can undertake. It has given me great problems and I would not decide for anyone else about the procedure. It is a very personal decision and if someone requests help in the matter it should be given. Frequently it s not.Most people are not competent to advise wisely.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

Magnus wrote:
I'm fine now, so don't be afraid of me too much. I hope I can still post on PPR without losing all credibility.

Personally for me the opposite is true. Your honesty and frankness about this has rocketed your credibility. Anyone who thinks less of you is a complete F-tard.

Obviously it is my lay belief that you were suffering from major delusions but that is no reflection upon you. We are so primitive in our understanding of the brain, it is an immensely complicated organ we are only just working out which bits carry out basic functions, and nowhere near understanding the finer processes involved in thought, memory and behaviour.

Cute kid BTW

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Magnus wrote:
I'm fine now, so don't be afraid of me too much. I hope I can still post on PPR without losing all credibility.

Personally for me the opposite is true. Your honesty and frankness about this has rocketed your credibility. Anyone who thinks less of you is a complete F-tard.

Obviously it is my lay belief that you were suffering from major delusions but that is no reflection upon you. We are so primitive in our understanding of the brain, it is an immensely complicated organ we are only just working out which bits carry out basic functions, and nowhere near understanding the finer processes involved in thought, memory and behaviour.

Cute kid BTW

Yeah, I have to agree when I think about it objectively. But, the feelings are delusions. I guess that is that way with religion too. But, logically...isn't it better to believe things that support us, whether or not they are true...sometimes at least? I am all for interpreting delusions with the help of a professional, but my shrink doesn't want to step outside protocol...yet...I'll work him tho... :wink:

-Pythagoras