If God created the universe, then who created God?

Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:32 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Meadow wrote:
People created God

This is a positive claim, so prove it.

The burden of proof more rests with people like yourself who still believe in fairytales.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:32 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Vince wrote:
Sand wrote:
There is no virtue in granting unearned trust. That is mere gullibility.

Well said, Sand.

Yes, which counts both of you out.

The perception of which place is out and which is in is apparently rather personal.

I do not wish for another flame war with you. What I mean is that neither of you have earned my trust. Vince because I don't know him at all, and you have worked to remove any particle of trust which I would normally entrust to an internet friend. Congrats on your endeavor, since you have achieved your goal.

How and why you extend your trust is a mystery to me. I was not seeking it.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:33 am

Quote:
If God created the universe, then who created God?

mommy and daddy god

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:39 am

Meadow wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Meadow wrote:
People created God

The burden of proof more rests with people like yourself who still believe in fairytales.

This is a negative claim: "people did not create God".

This is a positive claim: "people created God".

The burden of proof rests on those who make positive claims. You made a positive claim, so the burden of proof rests on you.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:42 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Meadow wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Meadow wrote:
People created God

This is a negative claim: "people did not create God".

This is a positive claim: "people created God".

The burden of proof rests on those who make positive claims. You made a positive claim, so the burden of proof rests on you.

That God does not exist is not a positive claim, it is a negative one.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:49 am

I don't have time for your nonsense, which is all it is as I said before. Grow up and educate yourself. It isn't everyone else's responsibility, only your own.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:50 am

Sand wrote:
That God does not exist is not a positive claim, it is a negative one.

Meadow's claim is that people created God, which is a positive claim.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:51 am

Meadow wrote:
I don't have time for your nonsense, which is all it is as I said before. Grow up and educate yourself. It isn't everyone else's responsibility, only your own.

If you don't have time for my "nonsense", then don't post your "nonsense" on my threads.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:52 am

Mere linguistics.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 2:53 am

Sand wrote:
Mere linguistics.

Logic and language go hand in hand.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

Since God is a Flying Spaghetti Monster, he was clearly created by a chef from a superior universe.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:16 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Meadow wrote:

If you don't have time for my "nonsense", then don't post your "nonsense" on my threads.

I didn't know I was going to be interrogated for giving an answer to your question on your thread but I suppose I should have. So, sorry.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:31 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Mere linguistics.

Logic and language go hand in hand.

I concede that the implications of the statement "people created God" may be a bit too subtle for you to comprehend it as a denial of the existence of God. You could assume that people created God and then God created the universe but then this does pretzel things with time that curls back on itself. It's no doubt a charming concept that I'm sure Einstein would enjoy pursuing but I prefer to think that's not quite what you had in mind. What you meant was that people didn't create God. Which leaves us with the possibility that God was created by blueberries or cockroaches or a committee of imaginative squirrels. But then we are thrown back into the time pretzel again. No. The only conclusion possible is that you think that God really exists and to claim that He was created by people is merely another way of saying that he doesn't exist which is undeniably a negative claim.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2010, 3:45 am

If God is self-created and started from nothing (zero point), then this ties in with evolution, not so? (It doesn't necessarily imply a God 1, God 2 etc. but a state where God was asleep (unconscious) and woke up to possibility i.e. the creation of form).

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 3:49 am

paigetheoracle wrote:
If God is self-created and started from nothing (zero point), then this ties in with evolution, not so? (It doesn't necessarily imply a God 1, God 2 etc. but a state where God was asleep (unconscious) and woke up to possibility i.e. the creation of form).

A sleeping God is not a non-existent God. A non-existent God does not exist at all and cannot create anything.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:11 am

I should stay out of these sorts of threads. I have strong feelings as we all do on these matters but I become easily triggered as well because of my early experiences with it. The Christian God is an unfriendly God who wishes to be feared, not unlike I was made to fear parental figures, and which I did, and the use of scripture to justify corporal punishment, etc. And preachers beat their fists on the pulpit and demand money for their bogus teachings. The whole thing is rather barbaric and perplexing and not amusing at all. I'd like to demand an explanation about so many of these things myself though I'm certain one would not be forthcoming for me either.