Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

breathless
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2010, 6:54 pm

I'm 20 years old

and heres the part that will cause the fuss

I am not aithiest but I do not believe in one god

The way I see it each god godess ro higher power exsist for the people who need them, the greeks had their gods and thos god exsist because of the very strong very real beliefe abnd faith the people had in thease dietys,

the same with the gods today there Buddha (and older one sure but still very much believed in), Allah, the christian god, the Jewish god, there are many different gods and even people who prefer to believe in the spirit with in the earth and elements instead

why do these people have to be wrong for other people? I mean why do the Christans think every one else is wrong or any other religion if you say you believe in something they don't they can get very upset (not all the time but often enough to make it unnerving for me to be open about my religious belief at all

Mostly I bring this up because my bosses husband is a pastor at one (of the many) local churches in my town, and she seems to believe all of us should attend only her husbands church because everything else is wrong. when I tried to explain my beliefs and why I don't go to a church or devote myself to one church she gave me this look like I was a very evil very gross bug.

and yes I have herd the argument "well their god is still our god they just worship differently" That's not right it's like saying watching a movie on the TV or on the computer is the same thing. thats not how I feel it is deep down I feel like each of the gods each different one exist because of the very power of the belief conviction, and faith the people have in these higher powers. Ever since I was very little I have felt very srongly deep down about this and it got me in trouble a lot in the catholic school my mom was sending me to (of course they felt my disability was punishment from god because obviously I was a very bad and stupid child who god hated so yeah... I never put to much stock in their opinion no offense to any of the nice catholic people out there)

But Why should only one god exist? I mean, theres plenty of space for more then one. Why do people need to force their beliefs on others and just accept the fact we're never really gonna know until we're dead anyway so why waste the energy fighting about it?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

breathless
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

I'm a little confused I think what your saying is because religion A says god B can't exist and religion B says god A can't exist then their both wrong but wouldn't that just mean either both don't exist or both do exist and since people have so much faith and not only that so much happens in the world thats explainable by science as we know it today then wouldn't it be more logical to assume that Both are wrong and in fact both exist to a certain degree?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 8:06 pm

breathless wrote:
I'm a little confused I think what your saying is because religion A says god B can't exist and religion B says god A can't exist then their both wrong but wouldn't that just mean either both don't exist or both do exist and since people have so much faith and not only that so much happens in the world thats explainable by science as we know it today then wouldn't it be more logical to assume that Both are wrong and in fact both exist to a certain degree?

In terms of the hypothetical gods A and B, if their existence is contradictory to each other, then either A or B or neither A nor B, but not A and B.

There is some ground for whether the contradiction is an actual contradiction or a contradiction of appearance though, as that relates to the Trinity doctrine. With the Trinity doctrine, there is only one God, but he is composed of three persons. Not MPD, but more of a relational personhood. My wording of it may be too simplistic to be accurate, but here goes: God the Spirit could be considered the aspect of God which most properly is omnipresent. God the Son, Jesus, is God in human flesh. God the Father is God as he appears in Heaven. Something like that anyway, though I'm certain that how I worded it may be considered heresy in some circles somewhere.

Anyhow, in terms of contradiction, if there are either many gods or just one, then both cannot be true at the same time. Either one or many or none, and I know in this forum many members love to assert the third while they do a number 2 on the keyboard.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 13 Jan 2010, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 9:12 pm

"The Book of Job" by R. Heinlein - I think it's a story you'd find interesting.

If there is something more out there, I find it strange and peculiar that it would be singular and unparalleled elsewhere.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!