Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:11 pm

Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 8:38 pm

Magnus wrote:
Why is it so easy to love animals and not love humans? Humans are extraordinary animals.

It's because we cannot deeply understand animal emotions and assume the best. People can make their stupidity, brutality, and ignorance quite obvious.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:04 pm

We can only love what we put our loving attention toward. I can love dolphins and apes easily. Humans are just as good/bad. It's in our belief system.

-Pythagoras

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:33 pm

Because humans have certain standards while animals are mostly attention whores for food, a shelter, a potty place, and TLC.

I have to say it's much easier for me to love an animal than a human. Humans are too hard for me to read and please.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 16 Jan 2010, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

Wow, that is messed up but true.

-Pythagoras

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:16 am

Because humans are cruel, judgemental bastards.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:21 am

But I'm as nice as pie... :P

Well at least my cats think so.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:42 am

MissConstrue wrote:

Well, you think your cats think so. Cats don't care until you take away their priviledges, and then defecate in your shoes. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 2:05 am

Lecks wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Well, you think your cats think so. Cats don't care until you take away their priviledges, and then defecate in your shoes. :)

Yeah that's annoying.

Another one is when they take your computer priveledges away. Like right now I got a cat sitting on top of my arms and hands while pawing at the keyboards.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 2:16 am

I think its partly because of their docile warmth that comes from their realization that we're higher on the food chain or technically we become the pack leaders do to our size and provisional capability. IMO if we were the size of mice we'd have a much different sense of cats and dogs.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 7:21 pm

What's wrong with loving animals more than people? Animals don't hate you for being different, they don't care about your looks, your weight, your age or if you're famous or not. All you have to do is show them kindness and respect and they think you're the best. Their love for you is unconditional. Of course, it probably is better to be human than any other living thing but I really don't care. People suck, animals are awesome. Especially cats IMO. :P

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 7:33 pm

How can humans be the most intelligent species in the world and still act so stupid? :? Oh yeah we got opposoble thumbs we invented amazing things like the wheel and bla bla bla. But we've seriously ruined everything with our greed, our weapons and guns and bombs and pollution and on and ON. :x really it's not that hard to see why animals are much easier to love.:) I do have a problem with those nut-jobs who think their pets are human. You know, they dress them in demeaning outfits and feed them human food that could make them sick and carry them around like an accessory and not a living thing. Those people creep me out. :pale:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 7:36 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
How can humans be the most intelligent species in the world and still act so stupid? :? Oh yeah we got opposoble thumbs we invented amazing things like the wheel and bla bla bla. But we've seriously ruined everything with our greed, our weapons and guns and bombs and pollution and on and ON. :x really it's not that hard to see why animals are much easier to love.:) I do have a problem with those nut-jobs who think their pets are human. You know, they dress them in demeaning outfits and feed them human food that could make them sick and carry them around like an accessory and not a living thing. Those people creep me out. :pale:

It's not a question that humans are more inventive than other animals but the same basic instincts remain dominant. A world ruled by clever cats, mice, beetles or eagles would be no better than what we have now and probably worse.

wesmontfan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2010, 3:46 pm

Spectrum people seem to find animals easier to love.
To some degree NT's do to.

Species compete for status with members of thier own species not with other species.

So both the human and animal can find a certain kind of comfort from the company of the other because the other is not a rival for status- both the pet and the human have similar motivations to escape competition with their own species- perhaps.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 4:09 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Your answer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnn-wMPU9w[/youtube]

But seriously, when handling a pet, oxytocin is released.

The same peptide that bonds mothers to newborn babies.

It isn't a rational/logical love like you are supposed to develop towards family and friends but a chemical reaction that forces love and bonding.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 7:01 pm

to o.p.

so you claim. I find dogs are not lovable at all. They are mostly stupid. Ditto for horses and cows. I find whales and dolphin more admirable.

ruveyn