it has never happened 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
I don't know 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
show results 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 6:58 pm

If we can sense people staring at us, then that may provide some proof that the mind extends outside the brain.

http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Staring/JCSpaper1.pdf

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

Magnus wrote:
If we can sense people staring at us, then that may provide some proof that the mind extends outside the brain.

I have read that personal experience is frowned upon here to justify a conclusion but sometimes it is rather pointed and appropriate. My wife is in the terminal stages of a general metastasized cancer that has invaded her brain. I have watched, horrified to see this very material invasion of her mental structure has violently disrupted her mind as to physical and temporal location and has altered her personality radically. This clearly demonstrates to me the the mind is a brain function and cannot in any way be considered independent of physical reality.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:11 pm

Magnus wrote:
proof that the mind extends outside the brain.

I'd say more that the gaze extends beyond the eyes.

Not mystical beams :roll: , but some other way related to what we do when we stare beside keeping our point of looking.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:13 pm

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I have read that personal experience is frowned upon here to justify a conclusion but sometimes it is rather pointed and appropriate. My wife is in the terminal stages of a general metastasized cancer that has invaded her brain. I have watched, horrified to see this very material invasion of her mental structure has violently disrupted her mind as to physical and temporal location and has altered her personality radically. This clearly demonstrates to me the the mind is a brain function and cannot in any way be considered independent of physical reality.

Double post.

But, yes, I can understand that. My dad passed away when I was 4 but before he did he was a vegetable for some time after he had a heart attack.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:26 pm

2 people has said it has happened. Are they lying or delusional?

I often stare at people in cars just to see them look back at me. Whenever someone cuts in front of me in line, I stare at the back of their neck and they always Always turns around and say, "were you in line". lol

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:30 pm

Magnus wrote:
2 people has said it has happened. Are they lying or delusional?

I often stare at people in cars just to see them look back at me. Whenever someone cuts in front of me in line, I stare at the back of their neck and they always Always turns around and say, "were you in line". lol

And when I stare at pretty girls they ignore me completely.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:31 pm

They do that on purpose.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:35 pm

Magnus wrote:
They do that on purpose.

So you not only evoke reactions by staring, you read minds.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:37 pm

Well, I guess so...

-Pythagoras

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:09 pm

OMG i can't believe this topic is being talked about here. This was one of my favorite topics of research for a decade until i became more interested in autism but now that that's a solved puzzle i've turned my gaze back to stare research and have progressed a lot.

My main experiment happened in 2005 when i stared at a girl from behind and she slowly turned until her eyes were looking directly at me. This is when i knew for sure that there was something traveling from my brain to hers, something that has nothing to do with vision or she wouldn't have sensed it from behind. This was the first time i bumped into something current science can't explain. For five years i've had the theory that you can send such signal with your eyes closed, but i haven't been able to test it.

So, there is a pulse of energy that travels from your brain towards your target whenever you stare at something. As a receiver you aren't aware of it but your brain does sense the pulse and the exact direction it is coming from and if you are not busy doing something else and your body is in autopilot it will turn towards the source of that pulse, and you end up wondering why did i turn exactly to see her eyes?

When i was into autism research i clearly saw a relationship between this and autistic people's inability to make eye contact. It was a big moment for me when i realized that... this beam that you send in long distances during stares... should also be happening in short distances... during conversations. I concluded that the sending of these beams of energy is what differentiates cold stares from warm eye contact.

Early in 2009 i had two breakthroughs. One was when a girl stared at me....... and i actually felt "it". It felt as if she had thrown a solid object to my forehead. I theorized that her beam was soo strong that not only my brain sensed it but also the skin of my forehead. Some people describe it as "it felt as if he was drilling a hole in my head with his stare". Once again this is something that cannot be explained by anything currently known to science. Second breakthrough is rather lame so i better not put it here but it will be on my update.

Weeks ago i had another one: the girl from the above breakthrough was walking towards me while i was eating alone in a restaurant. I hate to be seen eating alone, and i like her a lot so i went thru a lot of emotions at once and then i felt "it", all over my forehead, i felt that sensation. I concluded that my emotions were causing a build up of energy in my brain and that i was probably shooting it forward and that anybody i stared at in that moment would feel "as if i was drilling a hole in their head". In other words, the sender of the strong beams can feel them too.

I have a lot more but this post is getting big. My most recent achievement, barely 40 hours ago i realized that emotions cause this type of energy to build up at the center of mass of the body: the stomach. This is why people feel "butterflies" there sometimes. I experimented and concluded that if you change your body posture so that your center of mass is outside your body, you stop feeling the butterflies.

I have a name for this energy but i dare not use it on this forum. I will explain a bit more on my next update, to be posted in a week.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:37 pm

What is the name of the chemical that produces the butterfly feeling?

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 12:19 am

Magnus wrote:

All are philosophers but when one takes it seriously one becomes a lunatic.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jan 2010, 1:47 am

There is no doubt in my mind that the mind extends outside the brain, beyond the limits of the skull.

I wonder about the sense of being stared at though. I take the train into town once a week and stare at the backs of the heads of the people sitting directly in front of me. It's not something I particularly enjoy doing, but it just seems that I don't have much of a choice, although I alternate between staring at their heads, writing in my notebook, and looking out the window. I don't think they sense me staring at them any more than I sense the person or persons sitting behind me staring at the back of my head. Of course, I have never stared with the intention of sending a telepathic message to the people in front of me, or to any one else for that matter, so perhaps that is why they don't sense me staring at them. I might be thinking that they have a bad haircut or a good haircut, or that their hair looks greasy and needs a shampoo or I might be admiring their cornrows. They are too busy staring at the backs of the heads of the people sitting in front of them to sense my staring, and I am too busy staring at them to sense that someone is staring at the back of my head. Next time I take the train I will experiment with staring at a person's head and trying to send them a message.

As for the butterflies in the stomach - how would you go about changing the center of your mass to a location outside of you? I don't understand that. I can see changing your focus to another part of your body or away from your body in order to take your mind off the discomfort or pain you are feeling in a certain location. I've found that certain chronic problems, like ringing in the ears, or stomach spasms, cease to be a problem if they are not foremost in my consciousness because a new or more serious problem has replaced their position of prominence in my mind and directed my attention elsewhere.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 2:17 am

cosmiccat wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that the mind extends outside the brain, beyond the limits of the skull.

I wonder about the sense of being stared at though. I take the train into town once a week and stare at the backs of the heads of the people sitting directly in front of me. It's not something I particularly enjoy doing, but it just seems that I don't have much of a choice, although I alternate between staring at their heads, writing in my notebook, and looking out the window. I don't think they sense me staring at them any more than I sense the person or persons sitting behind me staring at the back of my head. Of course, I have never stared with the intention of sending a telepathic message to the people in front of me, or to any one else for that matter, so perhaps that is why they don't sense me staring at them. I might be thinking that they have a bad haircut or a good haircut, or that their hair looks greasy and needs a shampoo or I might be admiring their cornrows. They are too busy staring at the backs of the heads of the people sitting in front of them to sense my staring, and I am too busy staring at them to sense that someone is staring at the back of my head. Next time I take the train I will experiment with staring at a person's head and trying to send them a message.

As for the butterflies in the stomach - how would you go about changing the center of your mass to a location outside of you? I don't understand that. I can see changing your focus to another part of your body or away from your body in order to take your mind off the discomfort or pain you are feeling in a certain location. I've found that certain chronic problems, like ringing in the ears, or stomach spasms, cease to be a problem if they are not foremost in my consciousness because a new or more serious problem has replaced their position of prominence in my mind and directed my attention elsewhere.

Those things that are held dearly without doubt, when doubt is admitted, it frequently frees the mind to new horizons of fertile and more substantial realization.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:51 am

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

All are philosophers but when one takes it seriously one becomes a lunatic.

lol

I was finding fernando's post interesting, so that question was written out of context

fernando, that is interesting that you wanted to research this, they still need replications of the experiments.

-Pythagoras

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:21 am

Magnus wrote:

Utter and complete nonsense. The brain does not generate enough electromagnetic energy to broadcast through the skull bone. This notion of "knowing when someone is starting" is based on a faulty count. The number of instances where our "knower" thinks someone is staring but is not, is conveniently forgotten. The entire thing reeks of observer bias.

ruveyn