Why does Israel matter to the United States?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 12:00 am

Does anyone have any good reason why the US should be supporting Israel? Besides the Bible stating that those who support Israel are blessed and those who do not are cursed, any ideas?

-Pythagoras

Last edited by Magnus on 26 Jan 2010, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 12:07 am

Magnus wrote:
Does anyone have any good reason why the US should be supporting Israel? Besides the Bible stating that those who support Israel are blessed and those who do not are cursed, any ideas?

Any criticism of Israel immediately is latched onto by the Israeli lobbies in the USA as anti-Semitism and is very detrimental for elected officials in getting support for re-election. Among other reasons.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jan 2010, 12:17 am

As opposed to what? Letting them be wiped off the map?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 12:23 am

There's 2 main sectors that control the support.

People of Jewish persuasion, and those who are favorably inclined towards Israel.

The first have AIPAC, which comes down like a bulldog on anyone even faintly criticizing Israel (they can go from 0-Godwin in .3 posts...;) They work to make sure there's no overt criticism of Israel, and that whatever Israel wants or needs is procured by Congress. (There's other organizations, like the Anti Defamation League, but that's probably another post). Suffice it to say that both organizations can get the Jewish vote (or the threat thereof) to motivate any legislative slackers to toe the company line come election day.

The second include American's respect for, and rooting for the 'underdog'. As the closest thing to a 'Western' country in the region, they used a lot of that capital in the US to keep us supporting Israel, no matter what.

Finally, there is a small group of religious people who equate the establishment of Israel with the Apocolypse (and they're in favor of that...go figure), so if it causes the world to come to an end, well, it's all part of the plan.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 4:31 am

Magnus wrote:

From a political point of view, it is really not the best idea. If the U.S. stopped carrying water for Israel, Israel would be forced to take the hard initiatives necessary to end the problem with the Palestinians once and for all. U.S. support of Israel, in a strange way, weakens Israel.

In any case, it is not fair to tax Gentiles to support Israel. As a Jew I am willing to support Israel (in some respects) with MY money, not someone else's money.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 4:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Magnus wrote:

From a political point of view, it is really not the best idea. If the U.S. stopped carrying water for Israel, Israel would be forced to take the hard initiatives necessary to end the problem with the Palestinians once and for all. U.S. support of Israel, in a strange way, weakens Israel.

In any case, it is not fair to tax Gentiles to support Israel. As a Jew I am willing to support Israel (in some respects) with MY money, not someone else's money.

ruveyn

So evidently it's a religious, not a moral issue.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2010, 5:06 am

It's strategic position. Look on a map, it's surrounded by Americas supposed enemies and has a nice big coastline. It's right smack bang in the middle of what is known as The Old World, look at a map and you'll see Europe, The Mediteranian, Africa, the Caucuses (leading to Russia), the Middle East (leading to the Far East) are like spokes and Israel is the hub. Very important place to be.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:02 am

Magnus wrote:

I have the same question too. And I'm pretty sure that not all Christians are really happy with the things that the Israeli government is doing, especially Arab/Palestinian Christians.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 11:14 am

Sand wrote:

So evidently it's a religious, not a moral issue.

Both. It is also part of my action to oppose Islam. One way to fight Islam is to support the enemies of Islam.

It is simple. I think the Israelis (warts and all) are better than their Palestinian neighbors and better than the Muslim societies.

ruveyn

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2010, 3:42 pm

Wow :?

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:20 am

Because Israel serves "American interests"? <.<

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:18 am

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Any criticism of Israel immediately is latched onto by the Israeli lobbies in the USA as anti-Semitism and is very detrimental for elected officials in getting support for re-election. Among other reasons.

That's f****d up! :?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:26 am

lol

Yeah, but it is a good explanation.

-Pythagoras

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:33 am

racooneyes wrote:
It's strategic position. Look on a map, it's surrounded by Americas supposed enemies and has a nice big coastline. It's right smack bang in the middle of what is known as The Old World, look at a map and you'll see Europe, The Mediteranian, Africa, the Caucuses (leading to Russia), the Middle East (leading to the Far East) are like spokes and Israel is the hub. Very important place to be.

As others have stated, there are many reasons, but as far as I'm concerned this is the only "good" one there is.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:35 am

yeah that is a good reason too, but I can't help hear George Bush the first saying during the debates, "We got to worry about America."

Nobody seems to wonder why we are over there giving them arms for so long.

-Pythagoras

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:52 am

Israel is an ally that is in many ways alike to the USA. Why should they matter less to us than South Korea or Australia? If, hypothetically, all of South America banded together and advanced upon Mexico, shouldn't the USA help its ally? Even if it were at no harm to us, should not there be loyalty and support among allies? Or should we all live like teabaggers on Halo multiplayer? Who are too lame to fight the opposing team, so instead they kill their own teammates?