Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 5:01 pm

Any thoughts on archetypes? I got this idea after Tallyman's post about the mind being separate from the body. Maybe this can account for so much disenchantment in finding love.

Quote:
What is a Twin Flame?

Twin flames, also called twin souls, are literally the other half of our soul. We each have only one twin, and generally after being split the two went their separate ways, incarnating over and over to gather human experience before coming back together. Ideally, this happens in both of their last lifetimes on the planet so they can ascend together. So you probably haven't had many lifetimes with your twin.

Each twin is a complete soul, not half a soul. It is their task to become more whole, balancing their female and male sides, and ideally become enlightened, before reuniting with their twin. This reunion is of two complete and whole beings. All other relationships through all our lives could be said to be "practice" for the twin, the ultimate relationship.

What is a Soulmate?

Soulmates are our soul family, the ones we do have many lifetimes and experiences with, who help us grow and evolve, create and dissipate karma. According to ancient wisdom, when the soul is "born" or descended from Source, it is created in a group. The souls in this group are our soulmates, ones who are very like us in frequency makeup. Then each of these souls is split into two, creating the twins.

A soulmate is someone you are close to at a soul level, and with whom you have had many shared experiences in different lifetimes, in various kinds of relationships -- siblings, parent-child, best friend, as well as romantic relationships. There is a deep love for each other, and a spiritual bond that sets them apart from the superficiality of most other people in your life. Conversations are generally deep, about personal growth and service to make the world a better place. We can have many soulmates in our lives, and they come to us to help us grow spiritually.

-Pythagoras

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:01 pm

If we go that route Sylvia makes the claim that most of us don't meet our 'soul mate' on this earth because far more often than not they're more useful to us on the other side pulling strings and keeping our lives in order (if one even believes that there's a way to go off course in a fully predestined universe).

The only thing I kind of find funky about the idea though - assuming that there is in fact a spiritual dimension to us, we should technically be able to plum the depths of other spirits and rejoice in it without that spirit necessarily being an eternal fraternal twin. Then again, I guess that really doesn't mean anything either - just like us having souls; either we do or we don't. I'd imagine most of us won't find certainty around those angles here and if I were to take an atheists stream of thought for a second - the only way you could be conscious to have an answer to that question after death is if you do have a soul.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

I don't want to delve into whether there is or is not a spiritual realm where non-physical entities reside. I believe there is such a thing as energies like that, but that is my faith.

As far as archetypes go though, they do infiltrate our psyches in an unconscious way. I was wondering to what extent this affects some people. It seems to satisfy a primordial need, the belief in souls, and so I suspect that this belief has some benefits to it. But, then again, maybe our culture brings us at war with ourselves.

Twin souls are brought about by a desire to bring positive change to the world. Yes, most people don't meet them.

Read this tech:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid_and_Psyche

btw, The word psychology comes from the word Psyche.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 1:41 am

The word psychology comes from the word Psyche.

As in the cockney expression "For goodness Psyche!"

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 12:43 pm

knowing my luck, I only have a doppelganger...;)

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 1:40 pm

pakled, you are very literary, have you read the Cupid and Psyche myth? I'm sure you will get the connection to the spiritual soul mate archetype. I think it is fascinating, but that is just me. It's not about romance as much as it is about psychology.

-Pythagoras

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:40 pm

Magnus wrote:
A soulmate is someone you are close to at a soul level, and with whom you have had many shared experiences in different lifetimes, in various kinds of relationships -- siblings, parent-child, best friend, as well as romantic relationships. There is a deep love for each other, and a spiritual bond that sets them apart from the superficiality of most other people in your life. Conversations are generally deep, about personal growth and service to make the world a better place. We can have many soulmates in our lives, and they come to us to help us grow spiritually.

I suppose many of my guy friends fit this bill just that - I don't that I really want to think of them as 'soul mates', little too lovey dovey, perhaps 'shot mates' or my 'entourage'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:44 pm

A soul mate is different from a twin flame. A twin flame is the other half that we desire at a soul level. But yeah, I agree that we have many soul mates.

-Pythagoras

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 11:28 am

[quote="

A soulmate is someone you are close to at a soul level, and with whom you have had many shared experiences in different lifetimes, in various kinds of relationships -- siblings, parent-child, best friend, as well as romantic relationships. There is a deep love for each other, and a spiritual bond that sets them apart from the superficiality of most other people in your life. Conversations are generally deep, about personal growth and service to make the world a better place. We can have many soulmates in our lives, and they come to us to help us grow spiritually.[/quote][/quote]

I have two soulmates, but I don't believe that we were ever anything before we became human - I believe my life began at conception and that it will end when I die. I don't believe in a soul that goes somewhere after death. These two people are exactly like this description in all other ways though. I would like to believe that we will continue this relationship for all eternity as I need them in my life. They have enriched it greatly and we have this incredible interchange of positivity and also share incredible darkness, and one of them does believe in a spiritual afterlife/eternity, but I can't see it. So I treasure him as best I can whilst I have him even though we do have quite a dysfunctional relationship most of the time.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 9:19 pm

Musicbox - I'm kind of ambivalent about the before and after; I know that the here and now is pretty much being strapped into a roller coaster and locked down so tightly that you can't move a muscle - in a sense if there is a 'me' as separate from (first name, last name) that I dwell within and live life as - its possible but I realize as well that answers either way seem insufficient here.

BTW, with the name 'musicboxforever' I see you have a lot of vinyls as your avatar - is that a shout out to Roni Size?

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 9:55 am

Nope, the Blue Nile, from the song Stay.

"Candy Girls want candy boxes, she loves the music box forever."

I'm saying that I'm not a silly fluffy pink candy girl. I'm into music and ideas instead.

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2010, 5:10 am

Magnus wrote:
Any thoughts on archetypes? I got this idea after Tallyman's post about the mind being separate from the body. Maybe this can account for so much disenchantment in finding love.

I believe nothing, and I disbelieve nothing- this leaves my mind flexible. To don my 'mystic cap' for a moment...

Yes, archetypes are as plain as day. Also, I think there are certain levels of archetypy- that is, there are groups of people, and then subgroups within them, and subgroups within them, etc. If anything, this idea is self-reinfocing, because it would entail that the 'soul twin' is the final level of sub-grouping- the person to whom you are not just similar, but the same.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:55 pm

Sole, er, soul mate topic

Never had one or t'other. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 2:29 am

Soulmate? What a load of rubbish.

Look at Seinfeld and all those other dumbass TV shows like Friends. 40 somethings going on dates looking for their soulmate.

"I am looking for Mr or Miz perfect" Well lots of luck. If you did find a perfect person then why would they want YOU? Are you so perfect that you are god's gift to man (or woman)?

Go to youtube and search for "do you love me". Then watch that great clip from Fiddler on the Roof.

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2010, 2:43 am

Wombat wrote:
Soulmate? What a load of rubbish.

Look at Seinfeld and all those other dumbass TV shows like Friends. 40 somethings going on dates looking for their soulmate.

"I am looking for Mr or Miz perfect" Well lots of luck. If you did find a perfect person then why would they want YOU? Are you so perfect that you are god's gift to man (or woman)?

Go to youtube and search for "do you love me". Then watch that great clip from Fiddler on the Roof.

I agree. There is a lot of romance tied up in the idea of a soulmate; too often people search for Mr./Mrs. Perfect when the best they can hope for is Mr./Mrs. Perfect Enough.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:41 am

Cupid and Psyche? Well, back in the day, I read Bulffinch's Mythology, but that's as close as I got.
I remember an old cartoon "This is Bill. He lives in Chicago. He has a perfect mate. Unfortunately, she lives in Rio de Janairo...;)

I think more in terms of compatibility. With nearly 7 billion people, I'd be surprised if there wasn't hundreds, not just one...;)