Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 7:23 am

Wombat wrote:
Sand wrote:
They were hanging black people in the American South for a hundred years after the Civil War and they didn't give a rat's ass about whether they got the right guy or even if the crime was really committed. Evidently that's the kind of justice that appeals to you.

Well, now that you mention it..... . :D

And your point is?

If you can't figure that out yourself we have nothing to discuss.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 2:04 pm

Wombat wrote:
In "my" world there would be a crime called "not fit to live"

So then, where's the line between who lives and who is unfit?

And do you think a normal person would think about if they'll get put to death when their committing these crimes?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 7:19 pm

Sand wrote;

Quote:
. And DNA analysis of convictions in those areas have indicated gross misapplication of justice.

:roll:
Well hell, then. Lets just open all the prisons and let everyone out since justice is so haphazardly and unjustly applied. Even the very few that are actually guilty (In your opinion) I'm sure they'll promise to play nice from then on.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 8:41 pm

Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:
. And DNA analysis of convictions in those areas have indicated gross misapplication of justice.

Well hell, then. Lets just open all the prisons and let everyone out since justice is so haphazardly and unjustly applied. Even the very few that are actually guilty (In your opinion) I'm sure they'll promise to play nice from then on.

I see you have stopped thinking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm

Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

No, I do think but in a more practical way than you do. Like it or not we live in a hostile world and the solutions and methods for keeping the wolf at bay aren't always nice and flowery.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 10:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

No, I do think but in a more practical way than you do. Like it or not we live in a hostile world and the solutions and methods for keeping the wolf at bay aren't always nice and flowery.

And shooting your grandmother because some jerk raped a little girl may satisfy your hunger for vengeance but it does nothing for little girls.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 10:31 pm

Have any of you read 'A prison diary' by Jeffery Archer?

I went through all the pages of this thread, and none of you have even attempted to understand the mindset of a convict. How can you enforce a punishment without understanding the psychological impact?

For example, in the book, Archer makes it quite clear that most of the murderers he met, are very nice people. They are well mannered, well dressed, and cultured, compared to the other prisoners. Most of them regretted committing murder, and were attempting to change themselves - like doing a correspondence degree, work (D category prisoners in the UK are essentially allowed to work outside, and return in the evening to the prison), etc. They are only waiting for their parole, so that they could begin a new life once released. The serial killers, however, are hopeless, as far as Archer is concerned. I personally interpreted this as implying that these individuals deserve the death penalty rather than eat taxpayers money.

Regarding sex offenders, Archer did not meet any of them as they were housed in a different block. He was, however, concerned that they were given better treatment than those caught in possession of drugs. Nearly 70% of convicts in prison have been caught with possession of drugs, and many pot smokers leave prison as heroin addicts, as heroin is easier to score in prison than 'on the out'. In fact, heroin abuse is the biggest theme in the series, apart from Archer's rants on being innocent.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 5:18 am

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
What is your opinion on the Death Penalty? Right? Wrong? When should it apply? How can it be made safer? Etc...

I think we should give murderers and rapists a fair trial before we hang them.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:17 am

Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

And shooting your grandmother because some jerk raped a little girl may satisfy your hunger for vengeance but it does nothing for little girls.

Was that supposed to make any sense at all or was it just a desparate attempt to have the last word?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:25 am

Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

Was that supposed to make any sense at all or was it just a desparate attempt to have the last word?

No, it was an attempt to make you understand that shoving anyone into the death chamber (including, perhaps, your grandmother) may satisfy a district attorney who wants to get a case off his books but it doesn't find out who actually committed the crime and does not get a dangerous criminal off the streets.Mistaken convictions do happen and one cannot casually dismiss innocent people being executed while a dangerous man is free.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:38 am

Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

No, it was an attempt to make you understand that shoving anyone into the death chamber (including, perhaps, your grandmother) may satisfy a district attorney who wants to get a case off his books but it doesn't find out who actually committed the crime and does not get a dangerous criminal off the streets.Mistaken convictions do happen and one cannot casually dismiss innocent people being executed while a dangerous man is free.

I'll agree that lawyers in general arent interested in justice. The defense attourney is only interested in getting his client off no matter how guilty he is and the prosecutor just wants to put someone behind bars. Both are driven just for the sake of winning.
Lawyers are a necessary evil but I think we'd be better off if we could winnow their herd down by about 90%.

Now back to throwing Grandma in the gas chamber for someone else's crime. Your example is a bit extreme. The road to the death penalty is a lot longer than one miss-trial. The legal process takes damn near forever to execute someone.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:52 am

Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

I'll agree that lawyers in general arent interested in justice. The defense attourney is only interested in getting his client off no matter how guilty he is and the prosecutor just wants to put someone behind bars. Both are driven just for the sake of winning.
Lawyers are a necessary evil but I think we'd be better off if we could winnow their herd down by about 90%.

Now back to throwing Grandma in the gas chamber for someone else's crime. Your example is a bit extreme. The road to the death penalty is a lot longer than one miss-trial. The legal process takes damn near forever to execute someone.

I threw your grandmother into the mix to get some impact on you on how it must feel to have someone you love get ground up in a dumb legal system. Enough people have been freed from execution through DNA evidence to create doubts about the nature of the current justice system and those doubts cannot be airily dismissed. A miscarriage of justice not only is a crime against an innocent. it is a crime against the many innocents who are damaged by not incarcerating the right person.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 10:18 am

i think the only crime that should attract the death penalty is the crime of attempted suicide.

or it may be better to sentence then to life. who knows.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:27 am

Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

I threw your grandmother into the mix to get some impact on you on how it must feel to have someone you love get ground up in a dumb legal system. Enough people have been freed from execution through DNA evidence to create doubts about the nature of the current justice system and those doubts cannot be airily dismissed. A miscarriage of justice not only is a crime against an innocent. it is a crime against the many innocents who are damaged by not incarcerating the right person.

There was no impact on me. I lack that kind of sensitivity. I only repeated it as part of my reply.
Anyyhow, I still support the death penalty.
Now come back with something, anything, no matter how silly or off the wall just to get the last word in since that's so important to you.
I'm done with this thread. It has become pointless.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 7:06 pm

Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
I don't trust the government enough to let them determine who needs killing, I have more of a problem with the system than with the actual death part.

Well, now you're screwed. They don't like people like you saying that. *sigh* Well, I guess we know now who is going to the electric chair.

You're way out of date.

Do you mean that they no longer execute through the electric chair? Because I know they still use it in some of the states in the U.S.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 7:17 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Do you mean that they no longer execute through the electric chair? Because I know they still use it in some of the states in the U.S.

Very few, if any. It is mostly lethal injection now. Ten out of thirty seven states offer electrocution as an alternative. Electrocution is rather barbarous. Essentially it is a form of cooking the executee. All of the 37 states that have capital punishment provide lethal injection as a choice. Some of the states offer electrocution, hanging or gas as alternatives. The supreme court of Nebraska found electrocution to be cruel and unusual so Nebraska, which has no alternative method, is essentially a non-capital punishment state by default.

See http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/methods.htm

ruveyn