Page 2 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 5:20 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I don't trust the government enough to let them determine who needs killing, I have more of a problem with the system than with the actual death part.

Agreed. Particularly in the issue of innocents being potentially executed, or people being executed to fulfill some sense of justice. Where do we draw the line between who lives and dies also, and why?

In my state here, we have two men awaiting trial for a horrible and brutal robbery followed by beating, raping, and killing of a woman and her two daughters. The state refused to accept a plea bargain for life without the possibility of parole - and is actively pursuing the death penalty. Even though this will cost the state roughly $10 million to pursue, all at a time of budget crisis.

But, our blood lust reigns supreme. Instead of letting these two monsters rot in a jail cell, politicians and the media keep feeding this upon the state - blood lust brings ratings/readers and votes.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 5:35 pm

I don't like the death penalty. Proud to be Canadian. Go Canada!!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 7:30 pm

fidelis wrote:
I never said we would send them somewhere. They just wouldn't be allowed here. If no other country will except them, then they have nowhere to go but some country that has no working government. A place that won't care if they come in, because they have far worse problems than some random murderer.

"Not allowed here" means "send them somewhere else". It isn't as if there is a big neutral ground for people to sit around.

In any case, sending murderers to 3rd world countries doesn't seem very good in general. It probably isn't that bad though, but it certainly isn't that respectful and definitely is a way to cause more problems/deaths in the case of psychopaths.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 7:43 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
fidelis wrote:
I never said we would send them somewhere. They just wouldn't be allowed here. If no other country will except them, then they have nowhere to go but some country that has no working government. A place that won't care if they come in, because they have far worse problems than some random murderer.

"Not allowed here" means "send them somewhere else". It isn't as if there is a big neutral ground for people to sit around.

In any case, sending murderers to 3rd world countries doesn't seem very good in general. It probably isn't that bad though, but it certainly isn't that respectful and definitely is a way to cause more problems/deaths in the case of psychopaths.

I wasn't really serious with that last comment. Although, I still think that both imprisonment and death are both really bad options for many reasons. Exile has it's own flaws, but it has less than the other two. I think it could be made to work, but would require some changes in the system that few are capable of. Maybe in 4096 C.E.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 7:49 pm

fidelis wrote:
I wasn't really serious with that last comment. Although, I still think that both imprisonment and death are both really bad options for many reasons. Exile has it's own flaws, but it has less than the other two. I think it could be made to work, but would require some changes in the system that few are capable of. Maybe in 4096 C.E.

I am not sure I really agree with your assessment there. It seems to me that exile has a lot more flaws preventing it from working in the first place. That might be wrong, but I still think that some nations will get wise to the matter.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
fidelis wrote:

I am not sure I really agree with your assessment there. It seems to me that exile has a lot more flaws preventing it from working in the first place. That might be wrong, but I still think that some nations will get wise to the matter.

I don't think it will happen for a long time because of the difficulties you mentioned, but as technology increases, I think it may become possible. As for now though, your right, it won't happen.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:20 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
fidelis wrote:

The USA has had great difficulty placing suspected terrorists who were found innocent into other countries. These people are no threat to anybody. Yet no one wants them. The concept of dumping murderers, rapists, pedophiles, psychopaths of any stripe, etc on other countries deems a dim and misconceived concept at best. Countries have to solve their own problems, not shove them like polluting garbage on other countries.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:48 pm

If the crime warrants it then, yes, I'm for the death penalty 100%.
Here's my rationale for using the death penalty over life in prison: Anyone incarcerated for life (life as in until they die of old age) has the potential to be released by a future change in laws regarding life in prison. Even the possibility of escape has to be taken into consideration.

If they're dead they're not going anywhere.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:40 pm

jc6chan wrote:
I don't like the death penalty. Proud to be Canadian. Go Canada!!

lucky you :(

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:02 pm

Raptor wrote:
If the crime warrants it then, yes, I'm for the death penalty 100%.
Here's my rationale for using the death penalty over life in prison: Anyone incarcerated for life (life as in until they die of old age) has the potential to be released by a future change in laws regarding life in prison. Even the possibility of escape has to be taken into consideration.

If they're dead they're not going anywhere.

There fore you view all humans irretrievably corrupt. Once they have committed a crime they are stained for life as impossible to ever change. And of course, the many improper convictions which have been revealed make no impact on you at all. The law is always correct in all its judgments and can never be contested.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:30 pm

Sand wrote;

Quote:
There fore you view all humans irretrievably corrupt. Once they have committed a crime they are stained for life as impossible to ever change. And of course, the many improper convictions which have been revealed make no impact on you at all. The law is always correct in all its judgments and can never be contested.

:roll:

By crime fitting the death penalty (the topic) we’re not exactly talking about shoplifting.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
Sand wrote;
Quote:

:roll:

By crime fitting the death penalty (the topic) we’re not exactly talking about shoplifting.

Exactly. And DNA analysis of convictions in those areas have indicated gross misapplication of justice.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 6:28 am

In "my" world there would be a crime called "not fit to live"

Some nut job kidnaps, rapes, tortures and eats a child. Is he fit to live? I don't give a "rat's" if he is crazy. Of COURSE he is crazy. So what?

Our ancestors knew the answer to that. Perhaps they very occasionally got the wrong guy but most of the time they didn't.

They didn't have to worry about "will this child molester or rapist or murderer re offend?

People who who have been hanged almost never re offend. In fact I would say never. :D

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 6:43 am

Wombat wrote:
In "my" world there would be a crime called "not fit to live"

Some nut job kidnaps, rapes, tortures and eats a child. Is he fit to live? I don't give a "rat's" if he is crazy. Of COURSE he is crazy. So what?

Our ancestors knew the answer to that. Perhaps they very occasionally got the wrong guy but most of the time they didn't.

They didn't have to worry about "will this child molester or rapist or murderer re offend?

People who who have been hanged almost never re offend. In fact I would say never. :D

They were hanging black people in the American South for a hundred years after the Civil War and they didn't give a rat's ass about whether they got the right guy or even if the crime was really committed. Evidently that's the kind of justice that appeals to you.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 7:13 am

Sand wrote:
They were hanging black people in the American South for a hundred years after the Civil War and they didn't give a rat's ass about whether they got the right guy or even if the crime was really committed. Evidently that's the kind of justice that appeals to you.

Well, now that you mention it..... . :D

And your point is?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 7:23 am

Wombat wrote:
Sand wrote:

Well, now that you mention it..... . :D

And your point is?

If you can't figure that out yourself we have nothing to discuss.