Page 6 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If you are going to make an argument about something you find disgusting, such as stoicism and home education or whatever, please actually elucidate rather than force people to guess based on the fervid words you've written and then claiming they can't understand context because you lack the ability to express anything other than emotions.

If people fail to take chronology into account, that is by no means my problem.

Everything is always S.E.P.

Not always or even most of the time, but it is in this particular instance.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
http://www.conservapedia.com/George_Orwell#cite_note-0

... that home "schooled" children get their information from that manure factory.

Only some home schooled children are so exposed. Some are not. Mine were not. I used only first rate reference and source material when I home schooled my kids.

ruveyn

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2010, 10:11 pm

or consider this link,

http://www.conservapedia.com/Gender_differences

"Denial of gender differences is part of the justification for the liberal position on issues including: ... Education - For men and women to ever be educated differently or separately would be considered discriminatory"

this particular section sounds like revisiting the 19th century.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm

petitesouris wrote:
or consider this link,

"Denial of gender differences is part of the justification for the liberal position on issues including: ... Education - For men and women to ever be educated differently or separately would be considered discriminatory"

Hmm, which would you consider to be more preferable, the 19th century AD in Britain or the 1st century BC in Rome?

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2010, 10:27 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
petitesouris wrote:
or consider this link,

Hmm, which would you consider to be more preferable, the 19th century AD in Britain or the 1st century BC in Rome?

obviously the 19th century is better than the 1st century, but think about what it says. their use of the phrase "separating and educating differently" is very elusive.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 3:40 pm

Orwell wrote:
A good friend of mine is a fundamentalist who was home schooled. He's a very bright guy, and it saddens me to see his mind filled with such utter nonsense.

Yeah, that's usually the case. I noticed they tend to be very christian and right wing, the home schooled ones.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 8:47 pm

Technicly, parents shouldn't be home schooling their children unless they have the qualifications for it (that is, a diploma of some sort), and contrary to popular belief,being a parent doesn't entitle you to do so. It might be your kid, but s/he is not your toy and even less your pet. -.-

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 9:24 pm

phil777 wrote:
Technicly, parents shouldn't be home schooling their children unless they have the qualifications for it (that is, a diploma of some sort), and contrary to popular belief,being a parent doesn't entitle you to do so. It might be your kid, but s/he is not your toy and even less your pet. -.-

Nonsense. Those "diplomas" issued by the teaching colleges are for the most mediocre types. Teaching colleges are for imbeciles.

ruveyn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:03 pm

Netucation topic

I have always viewed the Internet like a vast library. In the old, pre-web days when at least five to seven library/journal sources were needed for a standard essay (less than ten pages, more than three) then the same standard should be followed when gathering info from the world wide web. Many professors will not accept Wiki articles as scholarly sources.

I was educated in the public system, but fortunately, I was of average intellect ( I did not know the system was substandard, just unfulfilling.) though of a literary bent and learned on my own that reading one book on a topic did not constitute instant expertise. My main special interest has been ongoing for going on forty three years and upwards of a thousand books I have read, and still I would never consider myself an expert in this area. (I do not count Internet sources--I still consider books and scholarly magazine articles/journals to be preferable.)

Conservapedia looks like an attempt by fundamentalists to control the thoughts of children--something my own family could not, and I am very thankful for this. I read what I wanted and came to my own conclusions and decisions about where I wanted to go with what I knew/learned.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:52 am

ruveyn wrote:
phil777 wrote:

Nonsense. Those "diplomas" issued by the teaching colleges are for the most mediocre types. Teaching colleges are for imbeciles.

ruveyn

Yeah, I really doubt that a college education, or even a high school education for that matter, is needed to make sure children learn the basic high school curriculum. I mean, the hardest things to teach would be the math and science classes, and to some extent, I bet those could be contracted out to a local community college or some such.

Credentials are nice and all that, but I doubt that they are as important as many like to think they are.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:58 am

Massimo Pigliucci wrote:
The state of education is abysmal because teachers are not well trained, not well paid, and not well respected. Too often, teaching (especially at the so-called “lower” levels, when it is most crucial because of the impact on the young mind) is the last resort of people who can't manage to do anything better with their lives. Education departments in colleges throughout the country are the disgrace of modern academy, populated by insane theories about how one ought to teach regardless of the subject matter, while at the same time ignoring that teachers ought to know what they are teaching before they can teach it.

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/ ... ivity.html

As for teaching, I think would-be teachers have to at least teach subjects like evolution without using religiously correct obscurantism (something public schools even in Canada fail to do).

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 7:47 am

AngelRho wrote:
My concern is that parents, that is ALL parents, have a right to raise their kids the way they see best. If this involves religion, there's nothing wrong with that. Our fear, I think, is that the kinds of emphasis that secular education places on children run the risk of indoctrinating them into beliefs contrary to faith.

In that case, they would properly love this article on, what might be called, the atheists bible.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 11:29 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
astaut wrote:
I was home schooled until the 9th grade and I hadn't heard of "conservapedia" until this thread.

Except for a couple months of experience in government high school, I've been homeschooled k-12+, and I'd only heard of conservapedia from WP also.

1) Conservapedia isn't an ancient project - it was only founded in 2006.
2) Whatever point random homeschooled students are trying to make by demonstating their ignorance of conservapedia is beyond me. Except, perhaps, that homeschooled forum participants misread statements like "home 'schooled' get their information from this manure factory" to mean all people who ever have been homeschooled know about this encyclopedia. It was rather clear from the context that I was talking about religiously conservative homeschoolers, but I guess contextual understanding is something homeschool curriculums need work on.

I didn't find it clear as I'm AS and take things quite literally, I didn't think that would be looked down upon on an AS forum. I wasn't making a point, I was making a comment, another act I found quite normal on a forum where people make statements/comments. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I'll try to be more careful next time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 11:32 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Conservapedia is marketed to and used by fundamentalist home schoolers.

Do you really believe all home schoolers are Fundies? Not so. I home schooled my kids until High School, and I am no Fundie. I am not a Christian and my beliefs are highly non-standard. What I dead was teach my children to read, to write, to do mathematics and to think critically. At no point did religion enter into the course of instruction.

I used first rate instructional material, journal articles and top of the line audio visual aids. I did not use any religiously tainted material at all.

ruveyn