Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 1:29 am

astaut wrote:
I was home schooled until the 9th grade and I hadn't heard of "conservapedia" until this thread.

Except for a couple months of experience in government high school, I've been homeschooled k-12+, and I'd only heard of conservapedia from WP also.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:37 am

[quote="Sand"]

Whatever the mathematical basis for the analysis anyone who doubts that the ice at the poles is melting or that the life patterns of large numbers of wild creatures is radically changing or that sea level is rising or that global temperatures are rising or that methane from tundras is increasingly emitted and cannot see the raw measurements is a damned fool whatever his technical expertise. See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 101117.htm[/quote

As it did during the Medieval Warming period, when Greenland was Green. The ice at the poles has melted long before the Industrial Revolution. It melted during the eruption of the Siberian and Deccan traps. In this previous instances, the melting was not brought about by human activity. Because there can be natural non-human causes for warming, it behooves the climate mavens to show the current warming trend is NOT due primarily to natural causes. This has not been done. When they systematically eliminate natural causes then it could be asserted that human activity is the main driver of the current warming trend. Until then, the matter remains to be resolved.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 8:07 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Whatever the mathematical basis for the analysis anyone who doubts that the ice at the poles is melting or that the life patterns of large numbers of wild creatures is radically changing or that sea level is rising or that global temperatures are rising or that methane from tundras is increasingly emitted and cannot see the raw measurements is a damned fool whatever his technical expertise. See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 101117.htm[/quote

As it did during the Medieval Warming period, when Greenland was Green. The ice at the poles has melted long before the Industrial Revolution. It melted during the eruption of the Siberian and Deccan traps. In this previous instances, the melting was not brought about by human activity. Because there can be natural non-human causes for warming, it behooves the climate mavens to show the current warming trend is NOT due primarily to natural causes. This has not been done. When they systematically eliminate natural causes then it could be asserted that human activity is the main driver of the current warming trend. Until then, the matter remains to be resolved.

ruveyn

And so to satisfy your conditions all human activity must stop to permit proper analysis of the situation.

See http://blog.sustainablog.org/the-top-ca ... -or-human/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 8:19 am

Sand wrote:

And so to satisfy your conditions all human activity must stop to permit proper analysis of the situation.

Not at all. One can do a physical analysis of all the causal factors and see which are the dominant factors. It is called science. As opposed to statistical correlation models which are sold as science by the IPCC.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 8:23 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Not at all. One can do a physical analysis of all the causal factors and see which are the dominant factors. It is called science. As opposed to statistical correlation models which are sold as science by the IPCC.

ruveyn

And you claim that statistics are totally divorced from scientific endeavor.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 10:38 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
astaut wrote:
I was home schooled until the 9th grade and I hadn't heard of "conservapedia" until this thread.

Except for a couple months of experience in government high school, I've been homeschooled k-12+, and I'd only heard of conservapedia from WP also.

1) Conservapedia isn't an ancient project - it was only founded in 2006.
2) Whatever point random homeschooled students are trying to make by demonstating their ignorance of conservapedia is beyond me. Except, perhaps, that homeschooled forum participants misread statements like "home 'schooled' get their information from this manure factory" to mean all people who ever have been homeschooled know about this encyclopedia. It was rather clear from the context that I was talking about religiously conservative homeschoolers, but I guess contextual understanding is something homeschool curriculums need work on.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:11 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
It was rather clear from the context that I was talking about religiously conservative homeschoolers, but I guess contextual understanding is something homeschool curriculums need work on.

Or maybe you should have been more clear in specifying the context.

ruveyn

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
It was rather clear from the context that I was talking about religiously conservative homeschoolers, but I guess contextual understanding is something homeschool curriculums need work on.

Or maybe you should have been more clear in specifying the context.

ruveyn

It would be absurd to think progressive homeschoolers would present Conservapedia as a legitimate resource to their children. Hence I considered it rather redudant to mention that fact.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 2:16 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

It would be absurd to think progressive homeschoolers would present Conservapedia as a legitimate resource to their children. Hence I considered it rather redudant to mention that fact.

What a good homes schooler does is get the best sources for their children. That might include Encyclopedia Britannica but it sure does not include Conservapedia. One uses sources with the best academic credentials as a rule.

I have been there and done that. I home schooled my kids, not for any religious reason but because the creatures from the teacher's union are an incompetent lot.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
astaut wrote:

2) Whatever point random homeschooled students are trying to make by demonstating their ignorance of conservapedia is beyond me. Except, perhaps, that homeschooled forum participants misread statements like "home 'schooled' get their information from this manure factory" to mean all people who ever have been homeschooled know about this encyclopedia. It was rather clear from the context that I was talking about religiously conservative homeschoolers, but I guess contextual understanding is something homeschool curriculums need work on.

Okay Mr Ignorant, so far 2 out of 2 homeschoolers on WP have said that they have not heard of it to use it when they were performing homeschooling. That is not a large statistical sample, but so far it is still in 100% disagreement with your preconceived notions. Also at least one of these homeschoolers is "religiously conservative".

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I have been there and done that. I home schooled my kids, not for any religious reason but because the creatures from the teacher's union are an incompetent lot.

ruveyn

Jacklyn and I intend to homeschool our children also. She was public schooled for all her life and hates the crappy system. Teachers are incompetent, children are one step removed from being as evil as those shown torturing Judas on the movie Passion Of The Christ, and the subjects are presented in such a boring manner with no lack of needless and mindless repetition as to drive education as far from government property as possible.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 8:06 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
astaut wrote:

Okay Mr Ignorant, so far 2 out of 2 homeschoolers on WP have said that they have not heard of it to use it when they were performing homeschooling. That is not a large statistical sample, but so far it is still in 100% disagreement with your preconceived notions. Also at least one of these homeschoolers is "religiously conservative".

I never maintained that religiously conservative homeschooled students were capable of traveling at least two years into the future to get information from an encyclopedia of the future.

The fact that you've never heard of something founded in 2006 (if your age is 24, you've probably been "out of" home-school for at least a few years). The other person (whose age I don't know) was also probably completely homeschooled by the time "Conservapedia" was founded.

I have never claimed that homeschoolers since the beginning of time have used a resource only four years old. Once again, contextual understanding.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:08 pm

If you are going to make an argument about something you find disgusting, such as stoicism and home education or whatever, please actually elucidate rather than force people to guess based on the fervid words you've written and then claiming they can't understand context because you lack the ability to express anything other than emotions.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:10 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If you are going to make an argument about something you find disgusting, such as stoicism and home education or whatever, please actually elucidate rather than force people to guess based on the fervid words you've written and then claiming they can't understand context because you lack the ability to express anything other than emotions.

If people fail to take chronology into account, that is by no means my problem.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Everything is always S.E.P.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Everything is always S.E.P.

Not always or even most of the time, but it is in this particular instance.