druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:43 pm

Sand wrote:
druidsbird wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Schadenfreude is one of my favorite hobbies. I love seeing the downfall of my enemies. It restores my faith in the existence of Cosmic Justice.

ruveyn

There's the ruveyn we all know and love. Decapitate your enemies and urinate down their severed necks, yes?

Roflmao! :)

Sorry for the interruption, back to lurking.

Frankly, I doubt there is a ruveyn. He's an archetype invented by someone with a talent for seeking reactions.

Honestly, many of the debate topics in PPR go right over my head, and the rest I don't care about. I'm ashamed that my reaction was an easy high for an intellectual thrillseeker--my simple mind is too easily entertained by absurd imagery for my own good. But please keep the absurd imagery coming--it's the only reason I have to remain in the PPR forum, where compared to others I am the intellectual equivalent of a cheeto.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:58 pm

Sand wrote:
Frankly, I doubt there is a ruveyn. He's an archetype invented by someone with a talent for seeking reactions.

Boy, if that turns out to be true won't your face be red. I happen to like Ruveyn, his ideas can be a tad extreme for my taste, but I think he's got a good attitude towards life at his age, he sees the problems around him and rather than being depressed and sour about them he rises up to meet them. I can admire that spirit, even if I think a person is wrong about some things.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:03 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Sand wrote:

Boy, if that turns out to be true won't your face be red. I happen to like Ruveyn, his ideas can be a tad extreme for my taste, but I think he's got a good attitude towards life at his age, he sees the problems around him and rather than being depressed and sour about them he rises up to meet them. I can admire that spirit, even if I think a person is wrong about some things.

Those minor, puny, little errors good ol' optimistic Ruveyn makes happen to include a belief in the genocide of millions of Muslims.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:05 pm

druidsbird wrote:
Honestly, many of the debate topics in PPR go right over my head, and the rest I don't care about. I'm ashamed that my reaction was an easy high for an intellectual thrillseeker--my simple mind is too easily entertained by absurd imagery for my own good. But please keep the absurd imagery coming--it's the only reason I have to remain in the PPR forum, where compared to others I am the intellectual equivalent of a cheeto.

Don't worry about it, Sand and Ruveyn have been sniping at each other since they first appeared in the same thread, it's just what they do. There really isn't any kind of hierarchy or pecking order in here, and if you steer clear of the more obvious dangling bait no one's going to touch you. Don't sell your intellect short either, the people here have access to online references, search engines and other instant tools for research so that even the most uninformed can sound like an instant expert in the time it takes to post, so don't be intimidated by the jargon or the lofty concepts. Just start slow, don't jump into religious thread shouting for the blasphemers to repent, or for the believers to throw off their blinders for that matter, and you should do just fine.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:06 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Schadenfreude is one of my favorite hobbies. I love seeing the downfall of my enemies. It restores my faith in the existence of Cosmic Justice.

ruveyn

There's the ruveyn we all know and love. Decapitate your enemies and urinate down their severed necks, yes?

Technically, I think it'd more be like getting your prisioners of war to piss down the enemies severed necks. After, of course, you humiliate the enemies by pointing out their lack of a pilot's license.

It was one of Ruveyn's old catchphrases. If I recall, it originated when he began to elaborate on a passage from the Torah about rising up early to slay your enemies first.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:15 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Those minor, puny, little errors good ol' optimistic Ruveyn makes happen to include a belief in the genocide of millions of Muslims.

So what? He's an older guy with radically different experiences than you or I and a very different perspective, I don't see him changing his opinions anytime soon so I choose to like him warts and all. Is he going to go out and start slaughtering Muslims anytime soon? I highly doubt it. Do I think his attitude is healthy compared to many others of comparable age? Hell yes! Do I hesitate to call him on it when I think he's off the tracks on something? Hell no!

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking people I happen to disagree with (or vice versa), the girl pictured in my avatar is closer to you than to me politically, I'm not letting that stop me from dating her.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:28 pm

Dox47 wrote:
druidsbird wrote:

Don't worry about it, Sand and Ruveyn have been sniping at each other since they first appeared in the same thread, it's just what they do. There really isn't any kind of hierarchy or pecking order in here, and if you steer clear of the more obvious dangling bait no one's going to touch you. Don't sell your intellect short either, the people here have access to online references, search engines and other instant tools for research so that even the most uninformed can sound like an instant expert in the time it takes to post, so don't be intimidated by the jargon or the lofty concepts. Just start slow, don't jump into religious thread shouting for the blasphemers to repent, or for the believers to throw off their blinders for that matter, and you should do just fine.

Ah, I didn't realize they'd had a preexisting rivalry. If I'd known I was stumbling upon something bigger than just peeing down the necks of decapitated enemies, I would have quietly turned and left before I laughed. :wink:

Thanks for the advice Dox. :)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:48 pm

The more I think about ruveyn being an artificial psychological construct by a group of psychologists looking for reactions the more sense it makes. The guy is an atheist Jew with an open disdain for the Bible and religion in general. They gave him a technical background and he seems to be up on some of the theories of modern physics and mathematics but is doggedly pessimistic about the rapid developments in robotics and the progress of astronautics. So his ultra.conservatism somehow has leaked into his general view of technology. Although he has lived through several decades of the rapid decline of American freedom he doggedly holds to the belief in the resilience of the US Constitution to set things right and the traditional fantasies of individual entrepreneurship and is totally blind to the plutocratic character of the country. His open brutality and corrosive indifference to the plights of the many victims of the system completes the picture nicely.

There are, of course, several other archetypes in this site with highly amusing and rather crude psychologies but psychologists are not necessarily a subtle bunch and this project is obviously only in its opening stages.

I had confirmation as to the artificiality of this situation when I awoke this morning and looked into my bathroom mirror preparing to shave and found myself looking at the back of my head. So, unless the basic laws of physics are totally malleable, there is something very definitely phony going on. It was bad enough with Obama, an obvious Bush Republican masquerading as a Democrat, but when they start screwing around with basic physics it seems clear they have an incompetent in charge. It took a full hour before they got my bathroom mirror working properly and I could shave so they do seem to have some sort of backups.

This character Sand they keep shoving into the site seems a bit too abrasive to last too long. I have a hunch they might readjust him to become a born again Christian just to calm things down but I personally will be sorry to see him move in that direction.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:53 pm

Sand wrote:
The more I think about ruveyn being an artificial psychological construct by a group of psychologists looking for reactions the more sense it makes. The guy is an atheist Jew with an open disdain for the Bible and religion in general. They gave him a technical background and he seems to be up on some of the theories of modern physics and mathematics but is doggedly pessimistic about the rapid developments in robotics and the progress of astronautics. So his ultra.conservatism somehow has leaked into his general view of technology. Although he has lived through several decades of the rapid decline of American freedom he doggedly holds to the belief in the resilience of the US Constitution to set things right and the traditional fantasies of individual entrepreneurship and is totally blind to the plutocratic character of the country. His open brutality and corrosive indifference to the plights of the many victims of the system completes the picture nicely.

There are, of course, several other archetypes in this site with highly amusing and rather crude psychologies but psychologists are not necessarily a subtle bunch and this project is obviously only in its opening stages.

I had confirmation as to the artificiality of this situation when I awoke this morning and looked into my bathroom mirror preparing to shave and found myself looking at the back of my head. So, unless the basic laws of physics are totally malleable, there is something very definitely phony going on. It was bad enough with Obama, an obvious Bush Republican masquerading as a Democrat, but when they start screwing around with basic physics it seems clear they have an incompetent in charge. It took a full hour before they got my bathroom mirror working properly and I could shave so they do seem to have some sort of backups.

This character Sand they keep shoving into the site seems a bit too abrasive to last too long. I have a hunch they might readjust him to become a born again Christian just to calm things down but I personally will be sorry to see him move in that direction.

I'm not that sure of his insincerity. He seems to be, with a few brutal additions and minor changes, a classic Christopher Hitchens style crusading Islamophobe.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 10:08 pm

Sand wrote:

Cheer up, Sand. :flower:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 12:53 am

druidsbird wrote:
Sand wrote:

Cheer up, Sand. :flower:

Not to worry. I have pierced the veil.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 7:55 am

Sand wrote:

Are you kidding? That would be great! :wtg:

I always found the Sand character to be rather difficult to believe in. He seems to have a compelling hatred for religion in general and Christians in particular but that seems at odds with his left wing politics. If Jesus were to run for office he would probably vote for him, yet he maintains that anyone who believes in him is foolish.

If Sand were to suddenly “see the light” it would make things a lot more interesting. :D

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 8:23 am

NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

I always found the Sand character to be rather difficult to believe in. He seems to have a compelling hatred for religion in general and Christians in particular but that seems at odds with his left wing politics. If Jesus were to run for office he would probably vote for him, yet he maintains that anyone who believes in him is foolish.

If Sand were to suddenly “see the light” it would make things a lot more interesting. :D

Obviously Sand is a difficult creature to analyze. Especially from the inside where he (or it) keeps throwing up smokescreens.I suspect it would be very interested in a God but nobody has been able to assemble a believable version. It always ends up looking more like a hairy version of ruveyn dressed in a bathrobe and, as you and I know quite well, whatever ruveyn declares about his intellect and his pilot's license, he probably couldn't even assemble a decent working planet, not to speak of a solar system or a minor galaxy. It seems very likely, if God exists, it might be an assemblage of cogent galaxies with a rather touchy temper and, most probably, no beard. Certainly not interested in a married Jewish lady to produce progeny. But the psychologists who are playing games with the Aspie population by running this site are, like much of academia, a wiley and unpredictable bunch. They might, just for fun, openly declare that Sand is the Messiah and that would raise holy and amusing hell with much of this group. Especially Awesomelyglorious who seems to have inclinations in that direction himself. But you can never tell about psychologists.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 9:56 am

Orwell wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
It was one of Ruveyn's old catchphrases. If I recall, it originated when he began to elaborate on a passage from the Torah about rising up early to slay your enemies first.

Don't knock it, sonny. The State of Israel still exists precisely because they did it in 1967. I take the Talmud (oral tradition) seriously. It has been the survival manual for Jews these past 2500 years. I hesitate to argue with success.

The pre-emptive attack is the cheapest attack if you do it thoroughly enough

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 10:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Don't knock it, sonny. The State of Israel still exists precisely because they did it in 1967. I take the Talmud (oral tradition) seriously. It has been the survival manual for Jews these past 2500 years. I hesitate to argue with success.

The pre-emptive attack is the cheapest attack if you do it thoroughly enough

ruveyn

There is too much world to kill pre-emptively and enough, at end, left to destroy you. The policy left the Jews wandering the world for centuries and it may do so again. I am not advocating this, merely pointing out action and reaction.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 12:18 pm

Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

Obviously Sand is a difficult creature to analyze. Especially from the inside where he (or it) keeps throwing up smokescreens.I suspect it would be very interested in a God but nobody has been able to assemble a believable version. It always ends up looking more like a hairy version of ruveyn dressed in a bathrobe and, as you and I know quite well, whatever ruveyn declares about his intellect and his pilot's license, he probably couldn't even assemble a decent working planet, not to speak of a solar system or a minor galaxy. It seems very likely, if God exists, it might be an assemblage of cogent galaxies with a rather touchy temper and, most probably, no beard. Certainly not interested in a married Jewish lady to produce progeny. But the psychologists who are playing games with the Aspie population by running this site are, like much of academia, a wiley and unpredictable bunch. They might, just for fun, openly declare that Sand is the Messiah and that would raise holy and amusing hell with much of this group. Especially Awesomelyglorious who seems to have inclinations in that direction himself. But you can never tell about psychologists.

I'm not personally a Mormon... But if what they believe is assumed to be true, ruveyn and Sand are doomed to a miserable afterlife!

ruveyn: You and I likely won't ever agree on much. But I do like the way you think!