Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 10:17 pm

Here is a question addressed to the folks from the Commonwealth who live under a parlimentary system: What is a vote of confidence. How does the vote on a particular issue get to be a vote of confidence as opposed to an ordinary vote.

Thanks in advance.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:12 am

Vote of confidence uh... Well, the only cases i can think of is when a minority government tries to pass something. If he doesn't get the votes of the other parties (that have some weight) or at least enough that it doesn't force a dissolution of parliament, elections usually follow. :p Budget questions are common. (At least for Canada) Oh and i had to check wiki to remind me a bit. <.<

Meh it also says that France's is somewhat different. Do tell if you want to know and i'll try to make it as understandable as i can.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:25 am

My understanding (from the USA) is that some government require leadership via consensus. Israel is like this. You get elected PM, but it only holds if you get the Knesset to vote in majority to support you. If the PM can't form a coalition government to lead, he/she can't hold office.

When the Knesset is displeased with the PM's actions, they can call for a vote of confidence, and if the PM fails to get enough votes, the coalition government is dissolved and the PM either has to reconstruct it or there will be new elections for a new PM.

So, a "vote of confidence" is an effort to remove an executive from power because they do not have the "leadership" to do the job. I wish we had it here in the USA because it would be a nice check on the executive branch. If a leader can't maintain harmony with the lawmakers, then he isn't an effective leader and should not be in office.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:13 pm

It's more or less that, we give them a little time to make mistakes until we get tired and kick'em out. Heck, they got elected after all, no? The least we could do is let the elected person show his stuff 'fore we decide.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:41 pm

A vote of confidence might happen when a critical bill fails to pass.

For instance, when the party that is running the government submits the yearly government budget bill, it goes through a few revisions(with input from the other parties). If at the end of the process a majority of all members of parliament do not vote to pass it the opposition can ask for a vote of confidence, citing the inability of the sitting government to operate a functional government.

Basically its like a hung jury in a criminal case.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:49 pm

Votes of no confidence might actually happen in the next British parliament, depending on the result of the general election.

zero_effect
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2010, 7:08 pm

a vote of confidence is when you give the power of your vote to someone else. i trust this guy to vote yes or no for me

different from a vote of absentia where you pre vote yes or no, but someone else casts it

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:02 am

Although it could mean that, it is not the case in the countries of the commonwealth, which is what he asked about. =/

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:47 pm

Confidence is a constitutional convention within Commonweath realms and republics.

The principal constitutional function of the Crown (in Commonweath realms) or the President in Commonwealth republics is to ensure that there is always a Government in office, and that the Government is capable of functioning. Since Parliament controls supply, a Government can only function if it is capable of obtaining supply. For this reason, if a Government loses the "confidence" of the House, it can no longer function.

Obviously, under strict party discipline, a party with a majority of seats in the House is never vulnerable to a loss of confidence. (In practice there have been some blips due to absent members and miscalculations, but I can't recall any in majority situations).

Some matters are, by convention, always matters of confidence: votes on the Speech from the Throne (the speech that initiates a Parliamentary session, and sets out the Government's priorities), votes on supply (essential the budget, but can also include votes on supplementary estimates or economic updates). In addition, the Government can declare any matter before the House to be a confidence matter (essentially blackmailing a more numerous Opposition into allowing it to pass, otherwise, face an election). Finally, on an Opposition Day, an opposition member may propose a motion that, "This House does not have confidence in the Government." (or words of a similar, express effect).

There are then two options: a dissolution of Parliament triggering a general election, or an invitation to another member of the House to attempt to form a government. It is usually the Prime Minister's advice to dissolve, but the Crown is not legally bound to accept that advice. If, for example, a general election was recently held, and other parties can demonstrate that they will be able to form a stable government, then the Crown can call upon an opposition leader to attempt to form a government.

It is generally accepted in bicameral parliaments that confidence refers only to the will of the lower House. In the United Kingdom, the House of Lords has lacked the authority to block legislation since 1911 (it can only delay for two sessions). However, as recently as 1975, the Australian Senate's refusal to vote supply was sufficient to precipitate a constitutional crisis.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 10:06 pm

The new government in Britain and its attempts to force new rules that would keep a government in power despite losing the confidence of the House by requiring a super-majority to defeat it is a serious threat and this looks very bad. This sets a very bad precedent.