Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:19 pm

how did that happen? how is America Christian?

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:20 pm

what i mean is, how is being pro-American a Christian thing?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:32 pm

Because Christianity has completely rejected its own roots and become a symbol of the status quo, and just about every "Christian" today gets taught through this status quo and thus perpetuates these problems.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:35 pm

The U.S. is NOT a Christian country. It has a majority Christian population but the laws are secular and not an expansion of any Christian doctrine. In addition the establishment of a religion by the national government is not legal.

ruveyn

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:49 pm

The US has a Majority Christian population but that includes every sect and denomination of Christianity which is a very broad collection of people with very different ideologies and world views and disagree on many policy and religious issues. Usually people who talk about America being a Christian state are fundamentalists who want to use that in order to justify imposing theocracy and very conservative social policies and as ruveyn said, it's unconstitutional.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:51 pm

The laws were initially made mainly by Christians, as was the Declaration, but its all a mixture of a variety of philosophies, including that of Thomas Locke. The first settlers and most of the colonists were Christians who were sick of the Anglican Church, and later on were added to them former German mercenaries who Britain hired to fight against us, and in the 1800's there were loads of people from all over Europe and almost everywhere else. Oh and yes, people were brought here on boats against their will also, but many of them became Christians and remained so even after their freedom was won for them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 7:54 pm

But as to America currently being a Christian Nation, a nation in itself cannot be Christian, nor can it be Atheist nor anything else. The current population can be mainly this or that, but that changes with the moment.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:33 am

To hell with religion.

I can remember when "Catholic" VS "Protestant" was a big deal. Now no one cares.

Do you care if your neighbor is a Catholic or a Baptist or a Scientologist or a Jew or an atheist?

Yet today's news from India tells us that some Muslims were willing to grab guns and strap on suicide belts in order to blow up members of a different Muslim sect.

Imagine if this was America. The local Catholics say "We hate those Baptists down the road so we are willing to wear suicide belts to blow a few of them to pieces.

Jeez... how stupid can you get?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:07 am

donnie_darko wrote:
what i mean is, how is being pro-American a Christian thing?

What.... :huh:

I guess the same could be asked of any nation that is lived by a majority of certain faiths.

Currently Christianity in America is a very broad term. You have Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, Mormons, and so forth. They all have their own different ideologies about nationalism I think. Though it does seem many of the conservatives are of Christian faith and many who think America shouldn't be secular.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 6:21 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The laws were initially made mainly by Christians, as was the Declaration, but its all a mixture of a variety of philosophies, including that of Thomas Locke

Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. The Constitution was written predominately by atheists. I guess I could turn that around and call this an atheist country.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2010, 6:26 am

^this.

at best some of the 'founding fathers' were deists, certainly not christians.
thomas jefferson ripped out most of the bible until he was left with only the small amount of parts which he deemed morally good (no killing ,hating, etc)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:11 am

fidelis wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The laws were initially made mainly by Christians, as was the Declaration, but its all a mixture of a variety of philosophies, including that of Thomas Locke

Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. The Constitution was written predominately by atheists. I guess I could turn that around and call this an atheist country.

He was more of Deist than an atheist. He rejected orthodox Christianity and rightly so.

Jefferson was not to far away from the way Einstein thought about god.

ruveyn