Page 21 of 25 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 7:46 pm

stgiordanobruno wrote:
I am highly critical of people placing credit of some supernatural imaginary friend if they or some other friend or some person(s) featured in the news recovers from a very difficult operation in hospital and not to the surgeons. Like for instance the separation of the conjoined twins Krishna the Trishna they give "God" the credit and hail it as a miracle but a too scared of pointing the figure of blame at him for making them that way in the first place. They do not give the surgeons the credit for soughting out the mess because they have some stupid notion that the surgeons were just God’s puppets. I just wonder why single out surgeons and people who do nice things as God’s puppets; shouldn’t that same rule apply people who do nasty things such as rapists and murderers? Some people may claim that people who do nasty things as the Devil’s puppets, but I cannot buy that supernatural nonsense as well. So I guess on those so called "miracles of convenience" especially medical miracles I am a strident atheist in that respect. I also do not like supernatural afterlives in supernatural realms such as Heaven or life can be expressed in the form of any supernatural afterlife such as ghosts, fairies or vampires, etc.

But...do you watch Supernatural? :wink:

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2011, 7:50 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
waltur wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
dunbots wrote:
Well according to that list, I'm a 7, can I join? 8) What does one do in this club anyways?

Church, thrice weekly, four hour masses. Thinly sliced bread.

dennet seems to think TED is our church. i don't see a problem with that.

Amen?

I'd make a pilgrimage to a TED talk. My favorites are Dan Ariely and Aimee Mullins.

You know what, I WISH I'd made a pilgrimage to the TED where that dude talked about his mushroom experiments, THAT was one of the best TED talks I'd ever seen, that was so incredibly interesting and I wish the dude would visit every landfill in the country. Yeah. And I love Dennett. And I think Richard Dawkins ought to be there every year.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Good scale, I'm a six.

I'm assuming there is no actual WP strident atheist group? Pity WP doesn't have that feature.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Gak66
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

i dont think that this would work because atheism falls in to the category or religion and stuff.

it does mean that a person does not believe in god or any higher being right?

so since athiestm deals with philosphy and religion and some other stuff it would fall into the one we are in right now. so there isnt a way for you to make a group or whatever on WP.

even if i made my own christian group i couldnt because it falls in this group we are in right now.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:11 pm

TheKing wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

I'm a number 10 on the scale

im beyond Atheist im an AntiTheist

Ok, you're on the list, but your comment just scares me. The scale technically stops at 7, there is no logically possible way to have anything above 7 percent, and by even trying, you are suggesting that you are between 130-150% certain that there is no God, which is not possible. Either you misread the scale, or you are insane, neither of which prevents you from being a member, but even Richard Dawkins is in the 6-7 range, and he's one of the most vocal proponents of atheism in our time.

New List:
Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent
Exclavius
Ergo Proxy
manifoldrob
Cheeseroyale34
LKL
MONKEY
Bethie
just_ben
MasterJedi
Vince
Sonariah
TheKing
dunbots
Kenjuudo
ryan93
TheKing

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:21 pm

Likely he did not research the scale - One to Ten is so common.

The whole "perfect 10" syndrome.

And there are those who will say "I stand behind you 110%".

So far my principle criticism of TheKing's theist-critical postings is verbal intestinal looseness and a tendency to ignore the possibility of punctuation.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:31 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TheKing wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

I'm a number 10 on the scale

im beyond Atheist im an AntiTheist

Ok, you're on the list, but your comment just scares me. The scale technically stops at 7, there is no logically possible way to have anything above 7 percent, and by even trying, you are suggesting that you are between 130-150% certain that there is no God, which is not possible. Either you misread the scale, or you are insane, neither of which prevents you from being a member, but even Richard Dawkins is in the 6-7 range, and he's one of the most vocal proponents of atheism in our time.

New List:
Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent
Exclavius
Ergo Proxy
manifoldrob
Cheeseroyale34
LKL
MONKEY
Bethie
just_ben
MasterJedi
Vince
Sonariah
TheKing
dunbots
Kenjuudo
ryan93
TheKing

as an AntiTheist im the enemy of religion i find religion to be a MAJOR factor to a lot of Earths problems i mean look at all the bloodshed over religion i think the world is better off without it saying im a 10/7 on the scale is like saying your gonna give 110%/100% thats all

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

Philologos wrote:
Likely he did not research the scale - One to Ten is so common.

The whole "perfect 10" syndrome.

And there are those who will say "I stand behind you 110%".

So far my principle criticism of TheKing's theist-critical postings is verbal intestinal looseness and a tendency to ignore the possibility of punctuation.

i did research the scale i usually dont say anything or do anything for that matter unless i research it first which is why my mom hates arguing with me cuz i always win once i bring the facts into play lol

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 6:08 pm

Proud to be a member of some of the most pedantic atheists on the planet :lol:

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 6:27 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Proud to be a member of some of the most pedantic atheists on the planet :lol:

"Yes, Shallow and Pedantic!" - Peter Griffin

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

Your post was shallow and pedantic. Yes, shallow and pedantic.

References :lol:

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

yes, shallow and pedantic indeed. but not as shallow and pedantic as that vibrator i gave your mom last weekend to rmind her of me when im gone lol "it would be my honor to be your new stepfather" - Lonely Island

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

It takes less keypunching just to say "Yo mama!"

Whatever happened to "Your father's moustache!"?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:40 pm

TheKing wrote:
saying im a 10/7 on the scale is like saying your gonna give 110%/100% thats all

No it's not. The scale is for belief, not dedication against the idea. One can be very certain it is wrong, but not so concerned with getting rid of it. One could be halfway certain it is wrong, but very determined to get rid of something. There is a correlation, but the variables are not the same. 110% certainty is not a good rhetorical move, as it suggests closed-mindedness, and in order to deeply engage an idea, one has to give the impression of open-mindedness, and still attack it with powerful criticisms.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:05 pm

Better still actual openmindedness - one needs to hear what the other is actually saying if one's counterthrusts and parries are to be effective. Assumptions too much in focus weaken arguments except where you are only showing off for those who already agree with you.

By the bye, I tend to agree on the point of using the actual scale.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
1) You must not believe in the existence of any deity.
2) You must be willing to speak out against the notion that a deity exists.

Both are true for me. Further, unlike what some atheists say, I know there's no God. Further still, I'm glad there's no God.

I wouldn't call myself a strident atheist, though. That seems to suggest an opposition to non-atheist beliefs. It doesn't bother me that people disagree me; I don't have any problems with any beliefs (including the hateful ones like racism, homophobia, sexism, etc). I like diversity.