Page 21 of 25 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

Your post was shallow and pedantic. Yes, shallow and pedantic.

References :lol:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

yes, shallow and pedantic indeed. but not as shallow and pedantic as that vibrator i gave your mom last weekend to rmind her of me when im gone lol "it would be my honor to be your new stepfather" - Lonely Island

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

It takes less keypunching just to say "Yo mama!"

Whatever happened to "Your father's moustache!"?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 1:40 pm

TheKing wrote:
saying im a 10/7 on the scale is like saying your gonna give 110%/100% thats all

No it's not. The scale is for belief, not dedication against the idea. One can be very certain it is wrong, but not so concerned with getting rid of it. One could be halfway certain it is wrong, but very determined to get rid of something. There is a correlation, but the variables are not the same. 110% certainty is not a good rhetorical move, as it suggests closed-mindedness, and in order to deeply engage an idea, one has to give the impression of open-mindedness, and still attack it with powerful criticisms.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:05 pm

Better still actual openmindedness - one needs to hear what the other is actually saying if one's counterthrusts and parries are to be effective. Assumptions too much in focus weaken arguments except where you are only showing off for those who already agree with you.

By the bye, I tend to agree on the point of using the actual scale.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
1) You must not believe in the existence of any deity.
2) You must be willing to speak out against the notion that a deity exists.

Both are true for me. Further, unlike what some atheists say, I know there's no God. Further still, I'm glad there's no God.

I wouldn't call myself a strident atheist, though. That seems to suggest an opposition to non-atheist beliefs. It doesn't bother me that people disagree me; I don't have any problems with any beliefs (including the hateful ones like racism, homophobia, sexism, etc). I like diversity.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Both are true for me. Further, unlike what some atheists say, I know there's no God. Further still, I'm glad there's no God.

I wouldn't call myself a strident atheist, though. That seems to suggest an opposition to non-atheist beliefs. It doesn't bother me that people disagree me; I don't have any problems with any beliefs (including the hateful ones like racism, homophobia, sexism, etc). I like diversity.

Well, actually part of what this is is that there was a contest on WP a few months back for the title of "most strident atheist" and this group basically emerged from the aftermath. I mean, I don't think that there is a requirement "You must be this anti-theistic". Frankly, your identification with this is optional. I can see why one can like diversity. I am going to say that there needs to be two basic pushes:
1) For diversity, so that way more creativity and ideas can be explored.
2) Against diversity to curtail ideas that have gone far past their value. For the most part, I think that a lot of theism and supernaturalism has gone past its value, and really would be better off curtailed to think about better issues. I think that racism and sexism tend to have more potential value, as they posit questions, while most theisms usually try to make the bad move of postulating "essences" that really don't work well from an explanatory standpoint.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 5:47 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
you_are_what_you_is wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Well, actually part of what this is is that there was a contest on WP a few months back for the title of "most strident atheist" and this group basically emerged from the aftermath. I mean, I don't think that there is a requirement "You must be this anti-theistic". Frankly, your identification with this is optional. I can see why one can like diversity. I am going to say that there needs to be two basic pushes:
1) For diversity, so that way more creativity and ideas can be explored.

2) Against diversity to curtail ideas that have gone far past their value. For the most part, I think that a lot of theism and supernaturalism has gone past its value, and really would be better off curtailed to think about better issues. I think that racism and sexism tend to have more potential value, as they posit questions, while most theisms usually try to make the bad move of postulating "essences" that really don't work well from an explanatory standpoint.

Diversism topic

For me, any belief that holds that some are more equal than others is outright crap. This includes religious belief, sexism, racism, and all other isms with fixed premises that internally limit diversity and encourage narrowness of thought. In my opinion, of course. :twisted:

I would however, prefer that religion be a private matter between the omnipotent being and the believer in this being, without the need of places to worship this being, being omnipotent and needing worship. :roll: Peddling such a belief door to door is even lower on my list of blatant no-nos.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:34 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
TheKing wrote:
saying im a 10/7 on the scale is like saying your gonna give 110%/100% thats all

No it's not. The scale is for belief, not dedication against the idea. One can be very certain it is wrong, but not so concerned with getting rid of it. One could be halfway certain it is wrong, but very determined to get rid of something. There is a correlation, but the variables are not the same. 110% certainty is not a good rhetorical move, as it suggests closed-mindedness, and in order to deeply engage an idea, one has to give the impression of open-mindedness, and still attack it with powerful criticisms.

if thats the case then i guess im a 7/7 on the scale

i just think the world would be more peaceful without all the wars religions cause because of their differences with each other and thinking they are ALL right and everyone else is ALL wrong and im not saying im 100% correct in my beliefs because in order to be 100% sure your correct about God is to be omniscient and no human is omniscient so God may exist for all i know but i know for certain its not the God(s ) of religions are false so its not exactly that i dont believe in God its i oppose the God of religion and prefer to think no God exists in general

make sense?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 6:42 pm

sartresue wrote:
I would however, prefer that religion be a private matter between the omnipotent being and the believer in this being, without the need of places to worship this being, being omnipotent and needing worship. :roll: Peddling such a belief door to door is even lower on my list of blatant no-nos.

Jesus said prayer should be a private affair devoid of public display: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room (or closet.) and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret..." (Matthew 6:5-6 RSV).

well the bible says that it should be a private matter it says that anyone who basically displays their religion in public is a hypocrite demanding attention so when they go door to door they are hypocrites demanding attention and next time you see them point to these words by their own lord basically saying he frowns upon what they are doing it works in my town i havent been stopped on my way home from school to try and be "converted" in awhile

PM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 8:52 pm

Count me in, AG. I guess its better to state it publicly, sorry about that.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 9:02 pm

PM wrote:
Count me in, AG. I guess its better to state it publicly, sorry about that.

It is better, but there isn't a difference. I was just holding off on that just in case there was a wave of people wanting the same thing. It's better not to remake the list a thousand times:

Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent
Exclavius
Ergo Proxy
manifoldrob
Cheeseroyale34
LKL
MONKEY
Bethie
just_ben
MasterJedi
Vince
Sonariah
TheKing
dunbots
Kenjuudo
ryan93
PM
Volodja

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 11 Feb 2011, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote:
As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

I would say I'm 6.9999, but only because I don't think '7' or '1' can be known with 100% certainty

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 6:15 am

Is TheKing being in there twice an accident?

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 7:40 am

Count me in too

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

I would say I'm 6.9999, but only because I don't think '7' or '1' can be known with 100% certainty

Same

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 8:40 am

ikorack wrote:
Is TheKing being in there twice an accident?

Yes. It means that he has probably asked twice. (This does not mean that I am saying it cannot be my error, just that this makes the most sense. I have not checked the validity of this one way or another)