Page 1 of 25 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:03 pm

Hey, we're forming a group on WP. It is called the WP Strident Atheists. This is open to anybody, and there are only a few qualities that a person must have to be a member:
1) You must not believe in the existence of any deity.
2) You must be willing to speak out against the notion that a deity exists.

Beyond that, this organization is open to anybody. The requirements are also revisable so that they may better reflect the larger goals of a strident atheist movement. Note, the goal of this is not to exclude, only to include given that many people felt a bit excluded by the politicking that went on during the election. This group is mostly just a hand stretched out to any atheist who wants to be open about and stridently express their atheism, without necessarily having the chest beating involved in becoming "the most strident atheist".

So, if you want to join, just ask, and I'll try to put your name on a membership list. You can also put this in your sig if you really feel like it.

STRIDENTLY yours,

Plus Alpha-Atheistic anti-theist Awesomelyglorious

(and Master_Pedant's group name was way way way too long and pointlessly so, and so irrelevant, I even forgot about it)

Members:
Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 13 Jun 2010, 9:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 1:33 am

Count me in.
MILDENTLY yours,

Fuzzy, the Aspie Apostate

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 2:45 am

Why not simply The Iconoclasts?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 11:28 am

Sand wrote:

Iconoclasts suggests that we have a lot of weird views. Which wouldn't make sense unless we required that. Atheism isn't a "weird view", but actually rather common in many groups even within US society and many nations such as the Nordic nations, as such "Iconoclast" doesn't make much sense.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 11:50 am

Sand wrote:

Idol knockout topic

I do not believe in a supreme deity creator but I will not deride any person who believes in one, especailly the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :lol: :twisted:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:09 pm

sartresue wrote:
I do not believe in a supreme deity creator but I will not deride any person who believes in one, especailly the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :lol: :twisted:

Oh, you don't have to insult anybody, only openly oppose the idea. To think back to American politics, to outspokenly attack Republican ideas, and promote Democratic policies does not entail believing that Republicans are stupid, only that they are wrong.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:02 pm

I partly nominate myself. I mock the mainstream concept of a deity that still acts like as if ghosts are real.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:08 pm

skafather84 wrote:
I partly nominate myself. I mock the mainstream concept of a deity that still acts like as if ghosts are real.

I'll take that to be a membership request.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:17 pm

I'm agnostic but only in the sense that I think there's still the potential for something that could qualify as "god"...but just not in the boogie man ooga booga man-in-the-sky/goat-in-the-earth type way. Most likely a vague physics concept/theoretical particle interaction that will actually define our existence and explain more beyond it. I'm atheist in the sense of no gods but that's only as the word is currently constrained.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 6:50 pm

Actually, atheists are only strident in the sense that medical people are strident in wanting to eliminate cancer or measles or athlete's foot. AngelRho obviously has a good mind and it's fascinating to see him struggle to maintain his belief in that ultimate comic book, The Bible, against all reason. It's like seeing a wonderful sports car outfitted with tires made of bubble gum instead of rubber. It's such a pity.
The parakeet guy is just a worn out pedal car with no wheels at all and an extravagant concept of transportation. Amusing but not to be taken seriously.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 6:55 pm

Sand wrote:
Actually, atheists are only strident in the sense that medical people are strident in wanting to eliminate cancer or measles or athlete's foot. AngelRho obviously has a good mind and it's fascinating to see him struggle to maintain his belief in that ultimate comic book, The Bible, against all reason. It's like seeing a wonderful sports car outfitted with tires made of bubble gum instead of rubber. It's such a pity.
The parakeet guy is just a worn out pedal car with no wheels at all and an extravagant concept of transportation. Amusing but not to be taken seriously.

Absolutely correct.

You won second place on the contest for the most strident atheist, so do you want to be a member of the WP Strident Atheists? You may as well be one already.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 7:33 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:

Absolutely correct.

You won second place on the contest for the most strident atheist, so do you want to be a member of the WP Strident Atheists? You may as well be one already.

The word "member" has such Freudian connotations I am reluctant with the famous Groucho Marx quote in mind. To join an organization means, at least to a minimum degree, to surrender one's personal chaos to a conformity to group order. I am rather captured by the image of a sole independent fighter like Lamont Cranston who remains invisible but effective.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 7:51 pm

I really don't trust an "atheists'" group led by an unreconstructed crypto-theist; it's kind of like an anti-gay crusade being led by a closeted homosexual. Anyway I really don't want my atheism STRIDENT as that's what I find offensive about the Fundamentalist Christian movement. I am willing to assert my belief that any such god or goddess as we usually understand the terms most probably does not exist, but I'd rather we atheists spend more time engaging in open-source dialogue with our theistic and agnostic cohorts, finding common ground with the more humanistically and rationally inclined of the group—a coalition of the believing and the unbelieving, if you will. I am looking for bipartisan civility, not an apparatchik of the culture wars of the 1990s.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 8:01 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I really don't trust an "atheists'" group led by an unreconstructed crypto-theist; it's kind of like an anti-gay crusade being led by a closeted homosexual. Anyway I really don't want my atheism STRIDENT as that's what I find offensive about the Fundamentalist Christian movement. I am willing to assert my belief that any such god or goddess as we usually understand the terms most probably does not exist, but I'd rather we atheists spend more time engaging in open-source dialogue with our theistic and agnostic cohorts, finding common ground with the more humanistically and rationally inclined of the group—a coalition of the believing and the unbelieving, if you will. I am looking for bipartisan civility, not an apparatchik of the culture wars of the 1990s.

C'mon! You can't expect civility towards people who down women's rights and have a history of burning Bruno and Joan of Arc and trashing the Middle East. You have to bite them i the ankle.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 8:34 pm

Sand wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

C'mon! You can't expect civility towards people who down women's rights and have a history of burning Bruno and Joan of Arc and trashing the Middle East. You have to bite them i the ankle.

No, civility is a better alternative to the Party of STRIDENCY.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 8:42 pm

Sand wrote:
The word "member" has such Freudian connotations I am reluctant with the famous Groucho Marx quote in mind. To join an organization means, at least to a minimum degree, to surrender one's personal chaos to a conformity to group order. I am rather captured by the image of a sole independent fighter like Lamont Cranston who remains invisible but effective.

Actually, all it means is that you now have an additional label.

Also, why do you have to surrender anything? You fulfill all that is required naturally.

Finally, I already made you a member whether you like it or not. :P