Protectivism & Civil Liberties: What Freedoms have been

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2006, 9:22 pm

Protectivism & Civil Liberties: What Freedoms have been lost?

1. In what ways are current policies in the war on terrorism taking away civil liberty rights?

2. Are policies like the patriot act securing freedoms by allowing the government to protect the country through increased spying ability?

3. Given the circumstances of security in the war on terrorism, as well as past events like 9/11, are there better solutions then current policies like the patriot act?

Odda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Location: Caught in the depths, and infinite vastness of cyberspace.

18 Apr 2006, 9:31 pm

1. Freedom of speech has gotten shakey, as well as our inherent political rights, voice, and privacy.

2. Nope. If we comprimise privacy, we will be living in fear, which is what the terrorists want. Besides, Bush had no legal right to begin tapping us anyway.

3. Heck yes! They could pay better attention to who, and what comes into this country for one.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 7:03 am

What remaining civil liberties have been increasingly done away with in this country over the past five years. Powers which give the government the powers to: detain people indefinitely without trial; the power to turn the country into an 'emergency' situation on the wishes of a Government minister; the power to put someone under house arrest and 'control orders' (where people are moved to special houses where they can be monitored, where the Home Office has to OK every visitor they have, etc); the power to ban peaceful protest under an exclusion zone around the home of Parliament, the centre of our democracy; the introduction of an ID register scheme that would give the State more private information over individuals than the Stasi ever had; and then you have the entire 'glorifying terrorism' idiocy.

And I haven't mentioned the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill yet: a Bill that will give the executive the power to amend or simply make up their own laws without any parliamentary oversight, though the Government claim that the Bill is simply 'to cut red tape'. This Bill is nearly on its Third Reading in the Commons, for Christ's sake!

We must protect our liberties - they ARE our freedom.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 8:37 am

One of the major problems is the majority of people are silent about losing their freedoms that is why the government can do what it wants in the end.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2006, 8:58 am

The power of the U.S. government over its citizens is increasing. The monitoring of civilian communications by government intelligence agencies is proceeding without meaningful challenge. Just five years ago it was unthinkable that the government would torture people. America now tortures prisoners without restraint.

Lets look at the case of Jose Padilla. He is an American citizen arrested as an "enemy combatant" while on American soil. After his arrest in May of 2002 he was held in solitary confinement at a military prison, and banned from meeting with a defense attorney for the next 22 months. It took three and a half years for the Justice Department to charge him with anything. Formal charges were only filed when a challenge to his detention was about to reach the Supreme Court. We can expect the government to become more aggressive in dealing with its opponents in the future.

As far as keeping us secure from terrorists, the obvious solution is disengagement. To put it simply, don't get involved in the affairs of Muslim countries. Militant Islam is a reaction to Western interference in their part of the world. The story that people hijack jetliners and fly them into buildings because they hate our freedom is a ridicules lie.

The government has taken away more freedom than any terrorist could hope to take away by their own actions.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 3:07 pm

Jacob_Landshire wrote:
As far as keeping us secure from terrorists, the obvious solution is disengagement. To put it simply, don't get involved in the affairs of Muslim countries. Militant Islam is a reaction to Western interference in their part of the world. The story that people hijack jetliners and fly them into buildings because they hate our freedom is a ridicules lie.

The government has taken away more freedom than any terrorist could hope to take away by their own actions.

Aparently you saw the episode of South Park whare everyone just sticks their heads in the sand. So Jacob, how does dirt taste ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2006, 4:09 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Aparently you saw the episode of South Park whare everyone just sticks their heads in the sand. So Jacob, how does dirt taste ???

My head isn't in the sand its in the clear and open air.

So Scrapheap, do you think the 9/11 attack on America was unprovoked? Do you think George Bush is a honest man who can be taken at his word?

sc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 3:52 am

I am unable to conclude a position on this issue in any certainty

I disagree with the revealing of the programs, unless they themselves were scare tactics to relevant mentalities. Otherwise the divisional rift, the insensitivities towards civil liberties and the methodologies of non-authorized monitoring of citizens is an unfortunate measure.

I think a panel of judges should oversee active spying for the legality of circumstances and to assure that abuse of powers are not being conducted.

Blame it on Ben Laden?

http://www.farts.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultima ... 000017;p=0

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 3:04 pm

big threats to our liberties have come through and are still yet developing.

be wary of any liberals who want to protect you from gun violence by making guns illegal...they simply want a defenseless population they can control.

also be wary of conservatives saying that the real issues are gays or illegal immigrants....these are issues but are minor issues compared to the major threats the conservatives pose to our civil liberties and to not only our society but to the world.

george w bush has said he has his hand on the button and will not rule out using nuclear force to enforce his will.

wvoelcker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2006, 2:53 pm

Check this poster out. Apparently its all over London (although I think the inforwars site may be a bit trashy... full of conspiracy theories... apparently the poster is real)

Very big-brother-esque. Scary!

http://infowars.net/articles/april2006/ ... tching.htm

NB visit http://www.no2id.net - UK anti ID card campaign.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 3:14 pm

I can't be doing with conspiracy theory sites at all but that poster is bloody frightening. Also, in a similar vein is this (http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2006/04/you_are_a_camer_1.html).

wvoelcker wrote:
NB visit http://www.no2id.net - UK anti ID card campaign.

I also recommend visiting NO2ID, I'm a paid-up member. This totalitarian and utterly sinister scheme must be defeated. No compromise.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 5:06 pm

What is the chance of dieing from terrorist attack? Nothing compared with the chance of me dieing alone, or my fat friend of dieing of a hart attack. Or my office staff from being done in by some psychotic road-sweepers.

We all have much worse demons to battle with then the remote chance of dieing from terrorist attack

Have you read a book called 1984 by Orwell. This Iraq war smells of it

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 5:17 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
What is the chance of dieing from terrorist attack? Nothing compared with the chance of me dieing alone, or my fat friend of dieing of a hart attack. Or my office staff from being done in by some psychotic road-sweepers.

We all have much worse demons to battle with then the remote chance of dieing from terrorist attack

Have you read a book called 1984 by Orwell. This Iraq war smells of it

have you seen the documentary end of suburbia?

www.exitmundi.nl/oilcrash

things are happening a lot like described for peak oil.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 11:41 am

Jacob_Landshire wrote:
My head isn't in the sand its in the clear and open air.

So Scrapheap, do you think the 9/11 attack on America was unprovoked? Do you think George Bush is a honest man who can be taken at his word?

I spent my childhood growing up with peolpe that are very similar to Arab muslims, Midwestern Rednecks. They were hyper-teritorial, beer swilling, bar-room brawlers who fight at the drop of a hat. To answer your question, NO not in a traditional sense. We are dealing with people who get provoked every time you breathe the wrong way. They are simply trying to control/manipulate us. Did'nt you see how they reacted to the Muhammed cartoon?? THIER REACTION WAS INEXCUSABLE!! These are just violent brain-washed people who only understand brute force. All we can do is bludgen them into submission. We did'nt provoke them...They were just itching for a fight.

George Bush is like any other polotician. I think he tells the truth whenever he can, but spins or lies when the truth will hurt. I don't think he lied about WMD, at least not to the world. He probably lied to himself and conviced himself that all the info saying there was WMD was accurate then dismissed the info saying there was no WMD's. It's called the confirmation fallicy.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2006, 3:24 pm

Midwestern rednecks are hyper-territorial? A week or so ago I saw hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens marching in the streets. Some were holding signs that read: "This Is Our Continent". I guess these hyper-territorial rednecks didn't see the hat fall.

Scrapheap wrote:
We are dealing with people who get provoked every time you breathe the wrong way. They are simply trying to control/manipulate us. Did'nt you see how they reacted to the Muhammed cartoon?? THIER REACTION WAS INEXCUSABLE!! These are just violent brain-washed people who only understand brute force. All we can do is bludgen them into submission. We did'nt provoke them...They were just itching for a fight.

Are you a zionist?

You say George Bush tells the truth when he can? Why doesn't he tell the truth all the time? What truth is so hurtful that he won't tell us? If he lied to himself, and then repeated the lie to the world then isn't he still a liar?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 6:24 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
George Bush is like any other polotician. I think he tells the truth whenever he can

what kind of politicians do you know??

but seriously, bush has been lying about almost everything in his administration.