Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 9:58 am

No, how's it more purposeful to "pray to God" and "convert people to Jesus"? I dunno, I think a lot of people do go through the existential shift after conversion, but I have a bit too much apathy on all things to be impacted.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 5:48 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Imagine if i came to their heaven and started killing people and stole all the food and money.

Their heaven is extremely strict about letting anyone go there, and that is the beauty of it, what makes you think you can make it there for the purpose of ruin everything?

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
No, how's it more purposeful to "pray to God" and "convert people to Jesus"? I dunno, I think a lot of people do go through the existential shift after conversion, but I have a bit too much apathy on all things to be impacted.

An afterlife reward?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 5:52 am

greenblue wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Imagine if i came to their heaven and started killing people and stole all the food and money.

Their heaven is extremely strict about letting anyone go there, and that is the beauty of it, what makes you think you can make it there for the purpose of ruin everything?

Its a metaphor. You cannot enter something that only exists in the minds of people who are afraid of reality.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 9:10 am

I do get pretty depressed especially when people I love and know die around me. I'm still coming to the terms of loss and I just found out a week ago that an old friend from work is in very critical condition. I hadn't seen him in a long time but was very fond of him and his family. His family told me he's in very bad shape and they don't think he's going to pull through. I feel terrible so terrible right now. :(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 9:45 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I do get pretty depressed especially when people I love and know die around me. I'm still coming to the terms of loss and I just found out a week ago that an old friend from work is in very critical condition. I hadn't seen him in a long time but was very fond of him and his family. His family told me he's in very bad shape and they don't think he's going to pull through. I feel terrible so terrible right now. :(

If you let death upset you, you are in for a world of pain. We are all going to die.

ruveyn

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 10:33 am

ruveyn wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

If you let death upset you, you are in for a world of pain. We are all going to die.

ruveyn

Let? Dude I would love not to feel or be upset about death and I've tried this crap about accepting the inevitable but it bites me like sudden bullet. I'm not reacting on purpose or because society tells me, I was instinctively attached to these people so it is hard for me not to not let death upset me since it's permanent. I don't know how to explain it to someone who probably doesn't have this problem or has ever felt the loss of someone whom they felt a great bond toward.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 10:39 am

Sand wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXPDdaUuvI[/youtube]
:P
I agree with Sand, though I consider my life to be a journey taken rather than a privilege given.

Non-believers such as myself probably believe the journey, if it is to be considered as such is from nowhere to nowhere. Religious people seem to feel they have a real destination but all the destinations I have seen on offer are so ridiculously idiotic that I question the sanity of the concept.

I am moving foward in time, from the point of either birth or my first clear memory to the cessation of my mental processes or death, whicever comes sooner. However I am moving foward in a dimension, and as I believe I came about through a natural process that was inevitable, I don't feel privileged.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2010, 4:40 pm

Well thanks for the responses, that's kind of how I had it figured, I was just curious to see if anyone else worried about how futile human endeavour was.

Sorry to hear about your loss MissConstrue, it sucks when someone you care about dies. :( Hope you can keep moving and cope well.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 5:12 pm

Ichinin wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Its a metaphor. You cannot enter something that only exists in the minds of people who are afraid of reality.

Damn it! and I thought I could go to a place when you cannot enter to it, as I would enjoy seeing people desperately begging to get in.

well, according to their minds, you wouldn't be able to get in anyway, as for them, that would be inconsistent with what they believe as heaven.

ruveyn wrote:

Please, let us know the secret formula, so we can save money from seeing psychiatrists.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
Sand wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXPDdaUuvI[/youtube]
:P
I agree with Sand, though I consider my life to be a journey taken rather than a privilege given.

Non-believers such as myself probably believe the journey, if it is to be considered as such is from nowhere to nowhere. Religious people seem to feel they have a real destination but all the destinations I have seen on offer are so ridiculously idiotic that I question the sanity of the concept.

I am moving foward in time, from the point of either birth or my first clear memory to the cessation of my mental processes or death, whicever comes sooner. However I am moving foward in a dimension, and as I believe I came about through a natural process that was inevitable, I don't feel privileged.

That sperm which finally became you when it joined with an egg was one out of a very large number that didn't succeed. That's a privilege.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm

Sand wrote:

That sperm which finally became you when it joined with an egg was one out of a very large number that didn't succeed. That's a privilege.

Not privilege. Rather, accident. We are all accidents.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

ruveyn

However the privilege is attained, it is still a privilege to be alive. It is a status rather unique in a generally dead universe.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 4:19 am

skafather84 wrote:
Wombat wrote:
If there is no god or afterlife then why don't we choose to be psychopathic gangsters?

Because most people aren't capable of that. Not to mention the construct of society basically discourages it. Also, don't forget that it benefits an individual more to not act in such a way as a "psychopathic gangster".

I direct you towards the majority of the population of Germany between 1933 and 1945
The recent conflict in Yugoslavia
Rwanda
etc etc

I also direct you towards the Standford Prison Experiment
Standford Link

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 4:31 am

Laz wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Wombat wrote:
If there is no god or afterlife then why don't we choose to be psychopathic gangsters?

Because most people aren't capable of that. Not to mention the construct of society basically discourages it. Also, don't forget that it benefits an individual more to not act in such a way as a "psychopathic gangster".

I direct you towards the majority of the population of Germany between 1933 and 1945
The recent conflict in Yugoslavia
Rwanda
etc etc

I also direct you towards the Standford Prison Experiment
Standford Link

The majority of Germans during the Holocaust were good Catholics and Protestants. Atheists hardly existed.

Atheism is a relatively rare phenomenon. So much for religion.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 5:25 am

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

ruveyn

However the privilege is attained, it is still a privilege to be alive. It is a status rather unique in a generally dead universe.

Anthropocentrism and Pessimistic realism. I'll go for sweet spot between Zen and empiricism. :P

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2010, 11:00 am

I never cared about the meaning of life. Do most people really think this is an interesting question in any way? It seems completely irrelevant to me.