Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 8:51 pm

The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 9:35 pm

jc6chan wrote:
The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.

People who need a god to make them feel comfortable in a universe that doesn't give a high fart at the Moon whether mankind or life itself exists or not will reach for any peculiarity to justify their delusion.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

Sand wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

People who need a god to make them feel comfortable in a universe that doesn't give a high fart at the Moon whether mankind or life itself exists or not will reach for any peculiarity to justify their delusion.

Whaaat????

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

I don't know what you are getting at or what you are trying to say.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:13 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

This is a sign that you are speechless.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

No, I mean that this seems so freaking pointless that I don't get your point.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

No, I mean that this seems so freaking pointless that I don't get your point.

Do you believe it is a coincidence that the moon appears the same size as the sun when viewed from earth?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm

Do you think it's a coincidence that they're both spherical? :roll:

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

Orwell wrote:
Do you think it's a coincidence that they're both spherical? :roll:

Planets with large masses tend to be spherical because of the way gravity pulls itself together. I can't have a detailed explanation but I know it has to do with physics. Your point of comparing that to my point is irrelevant. Its like saying if its a coincidence that all humans have a head, 2 eyes, 2 ears, etc...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm

Could mean only one thing.

The moon had sex with the sun hence Gaea was born.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm

I don't understand how you imagine the relative perceived sizes of the sun and moon are theologically significant. It seems mildly insane to posit that there is any necessary connection here.

And I have no idea where natural selection entered into your line of thought.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 1:30 am

jc6chan wrote:
Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument.

Coincidence is a weak argument and the eclipse is something rare enough for you to be amazed by it. If you've ever actually witnessed one, the whole sun isn't blocked out. The eclipse is far from a perfect form-fit as far as covering the sun goes. It doesn't appear the same size to anyone who can actually view it and even those dumb enough to look directly at it should realize that it's not covering the whole sun.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 2:04 am

It seems to me that a ratio of perceived sizes of 1:1 is not inherently any more unlikely than any other single ratio of perceived sizes.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 2:34 am

jc6chan wrote:

Few questions:
Do you believe you have actually falsified evolution, cosmology and geology?
Do you believe you beat the scientific community and atheist philosophers with that "brilliant" analisys?
Do you believe you have proved God's existence ?

Additional question: Do you expect atheists to question their positions with that argument of yours?

Heck! MissContrue's explanation makes as much as sense, or perhaps even more, given the perception of the size of the moon and the sun, then the cosmic sexual relationship can be as plausible.

One last question: Do you actually believe in that crap you said?

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 3:03 am

greenblue wrote:
One last question: Do you actually believe in that crap you said?

How about we count the amount of threads/posts, where one acts like they know more than the other, and post as if to proove they are somehow intellectualy superior, regardless of sides? :D I wander which one does it more around here?

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2010, 3:33 am

skafather84 wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument.

Coincidence is a weak argument and the eclipse is something rare enough for you to be amazed by it. If you've ever actually witnessed one, the whole sun isn't blocked out. The eclipse is far from a perfect form-fit as far as covering the sun goes. It doesn't appear the same size to anyone who can actually view it and even those dumb enough to look directly at it should realize that it's not covering the whole sun.

the moon gets closer and further away so sometimes the sun is completely covered sometimes it's not.