Denial of Healthcare to 9/11 First Responders

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NEWater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2010, 7:31 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/wo ... t-gop-dems

Quote:
"Sadly, the majority of House Republicans voted against this bill, even though its [$7.4 billion] costs were fully paid for as required under the PAYGO rules by closing a tax loophole for foreign firms that operate in the United States," Trumka said in a statement. "It appears that some Republicans and business groups, including the Chamber of Commerce, are more concerned with protecting the interests of the foreign based companies who try to avoid paying taxes than helping those who answered the nation’s call on 9/11."

Then there's also the fibbing about how illegal immigrant rescuers could also possibly qualify for the healthcare.

Geez, America. Your politicians really suck. Is this how you reward your heroes? Even those governments whom your country demonizes as evil or rogue regimes reward their own heroes better than this.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 7:47 am

NEWater wrote:
Geez, America. Your politicians really suck. Is this how you reward your heroes? Even those governments whom your country demonizes as evil or rogue regimes reward their own heroes better than this.

The Republican party is just completely batshit these past couple years. Their default is to oppose anything the Democrats try to do, regardless of whether or not they think the policy is a good idea.

Though one wonders why, in all the years of the Bush administration, they never saw fit to attend to the needs of the 9/11 first responders.

NEWater

09 Aug 2010, 8:00 am

Considering how the Republican party posits themselves as the 'Party of God', and seeing how they purport to represent a religion that preaches love and compassion for their fellow man, they certainly are having their fun in trying to chase people of a different-colored skin out of their borders, denying much-needed healthcare to 9/11 first responders who rescued people at great permanent risks to their health and giving everyone a tool with which they can easily kill their fellow man (firearms).

And people ask me why I no longer go to church.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:50 pm

NEWater wrote:
Considering how the Republican party posits themselves as the 'Party of God', and seeing how they purport to represent a religion that preaches love and compassion for their fellow man, they certainly are having their fun in trying to chase people of a different-colored skin out of their borders, denying much-needed healthcare to 9/11 first responders who rescued people at great permanent risks to their health and giving everyone a tool with which they can easily kill their fellow man (firearms).

And people ask me why I no longer go to church.

A lot of radical Republicans seem to believe every part of the bible except the parts that are "for pansies" (I.E. peace, love, ect.) and the parts that are too violent even for them. (I.E. stoning youths who curse their parents.)

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Aug 2010, 3:08 pm

I saw the Daily Show do a little piece on this and the democrats apparently did some sort of procedural move where they needed 2/3rds majority instead of the simple majority so that the GOP could not make any amendments to the bill.

Election year politics at it's finest. Democrats don't care about 9/11 workers and were more concerned about playing politics and using this as a battering ram against the GOP playing them up as obstructionists when they themselves killed the bill.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I saw the Daily Show do a little piece on this and the democrats apparently did some sort of procedural move where they needed 2/3rds majority instead of the simple majority so that the GOP could not make any amendments to the bill.

Election year politics at it's finest. Democrats don't care about 9/11 workers and were more concerned about playing politics and using this as a battering ram against the GOP playing them up as obstructionists when they themselves killed the bill.

No, the GOP was abusing the amendments process to use a must-pass bill as a Trojan Horse for other crap that they could never get through. When the Democrats wanted to prevent them from doing that, they voted against the bill like the bunch of spiteful children they are.

Who doesn't care about the 9/11 workers here? The majority of Republicans opposed this bill. If they cared about the 9/11 workers, they would have voted to support the bill.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Aug 2010, 4:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

No, the GOP was abusing the amendments process to use a must-pass bill as a Trojan Horse for other crap that they could never get through. When the Democrats wanted to prevent them from doing that, they voted against the bill like the bunch of spiteful children they are.

Who doesn't care about the 9/11 workers here? The majority of Republicans opposed this bill. If they cared about the 9/11 workers, they would have voted to support the bill.

They both abuse that process and its not anything new. If the Dems really wanted to pass the bill, they would of. It would passed easily with a simple majority.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:
They both abuse that process and its not anything new. If the Dems really wanted to pass the bill, they would of. It would passed easily with a simple majority.

They both do, yes, probably the Republicans somewhat more than Democrats, but surely neither of us are in favor of it.

If the Republicans wanted the bill to pass, it would have had no trouble getting a 2/3 vote. But they wanted to abuse the process, and to that end are willing to deny care to people who risked their lives on 9/11.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 5:39 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

They both do, yes, probably the Republicans somewhat more than Democrats, but surely neither of us are in favor of it.

If the Republicans wanted the bill to pass, it would have had no trouble getting a 2/3 vote. But they wanted to abuse the process, and to that end are willing to deny care to people who risked their lives on 9/11.

There are times when I think the Republican Party has a Death Wish. If the Republicans were half way reasonable they could easily undo the Democrat majority in this November's bi-election. Already the Independent voters are mightily ticked off on the Democrats. If the Republicans could be half way reasonable the Democrats will be taken down quite a bit in November. But NOOOOO!

I think the Republicans are suffering from the Sarah Palin disease.

ruveyn

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:39 pm

Why did it wait until 2010 to get healthcare for first responders addressed?

The Republicans had years to take care of this, and obviously don't care for anything the Democrats propose - or doing things to help the common man vs. monied interests.

The Democrats have had a year and a half to do something about this, and still can't even get it done.

The end of the Daily Show segment about it was fully right.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

Quartz11 wrote:
Why did it wait until 2010 to get healthcare for first responders addressed?

The Republicans had years to take care of this, and obviously don't care for anything the Democrats propose - or doing things to help the common man vs. monied interests.

The Democrats have had a year and a half to do something about this, and still can't even get it done.

Maybe both parties really just don't care.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:00 pm

I don't understand something. Democrats come in because the republicans and their ideology sucks. The democrats fail to follow through on their supposed claims and so people just go back to the republicans who just freshly wrecked everything? If ever there were a time for a third party to come strike a dagger into this bloated beast of corporatism and empty words, it'd be now. Shame that the Green Party can't smell blood.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Shame that the Green Party can't smell blood.

You mean the

Getting
Republicans
Elected
Every
November

party? :lol:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:20 pm

skafather84 wrote:
I don't understand something. Democrats come in because the republicans and their ideology sucks. The democrats fail to follow through on their supposed claims and so people just go back to the republicans who just freshly wrecked everything? If ever there were a time for a third party to come strike a dagger into this bloated beast of corporatism and empty words, it'd be now. Shame that the Green Party can't smell blood.

I wish people would vote for a third party. Too bad people are too stupid to do that.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Shame that the Green Party can't smell blood.

You mean the

Getting
Republicans
Elected
Every
November

party? :lol:

Yep...damn those people who are actually aware enough to realize that voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for an evil.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I wish people would vote for a third party. Too bad people are too stupid to do that.

Also, the math doesn't work. A three-party system just isn't stable.