Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Sep 2007, 12:27 pm

but seriously probably

psych
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 1:06 pm

Yes, religion in some ways opposes spirituality.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2007, 1:55 pm

I'd have to say yes. But I suppose adherence to any belief or non-belief system will eventually close one's mind, or at least narrow the openning quite a bit!

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:02 pm

I find some of the non-religious in here to be some of the most closed-minded people I've ever run across. I don't think religion holds any monopoly in that regard.

18:33. Press 'Return'

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Sep 2007, 2:14 pm

We need a test to measure "open mind" decisions. It would have to have 10 questions that religious people would have a problem with like:

"If homosexuality is proven to have a biological basis would you consider society should give them more rights?" yes or no

And 10 questions for atheist:

"If studies prove fundemetalist christians are happier than atheist would you consider allowing New testiment studies being and optional elective in public schools?"

Athiest will write the questions for the religious. And the religious will write the questions for the athiest. Only members who report their scores here will go in the final tally. People with short post history votes may be excluded to. The side more willing to accept the others questions is more open minded.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:23 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
We need a test to measure "open mind" decisions. It would have to have 10 questions that religious people would have a problem with like:

"If homosexuality is proven to have a biological basis would you consider society should give them more rights?" yes or no

And 10 questions for atheist:

"If studies prove fundemetalist christians are happier than atheist would you consider allowing New testiment studies being and optional elective in public schools?"

Athiest will write the questions for the religious. And the religious will write the questions for the athiest. Only members who report their scores here will go in the final tally. People with short post history votes may be excluded to. The side more willing to accept the others questions is more open minded.

Yes to both of them. But I suspect that neither scenario will happen in a long long time, if at all.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 2:25 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:

Interesting question. I have often thought about this : if say a machine existed that you could plug yourself into where you would strap on some VR goggles and a heroin feed into your arm ... and that you could live there permanently in ecstacy ... the question is , is this a good thing to do - you would be happy ?

I would say no, as I say no to your question, because the goal is not to be 'happy' but to live a true life seeing life clearly, experiencing for yourself for better or worse and not influenced by others. This would elevate a person.

And this is why I am against followers of 'religions', their beliefs are not their own, their ideas are not their own. I am for people saying I believe {this} and it is my own.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:54 pm

rideforever wrote:
And this is why I am against followers of 'religions', their beliefs are not their own, their ideas are not their own. I am for people saying I believe {this} and it is my own.

You keep saying, "their beliefs are not their own." But I have yet to grasp your criteria for determining how something someone believes isn't their own belief. We all get our beliefs from others, that's the way we humans learn. Self-discovery, the "Eureka!" factor, is rare. If I hear someone else express their beliefs, be it atheist, christian, muslim, communist, racist or whatever, and decide in my mind and in my heart that their belief is rational, and decide to adopt that belief, then how has that belief not become my own?

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 3:09 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:

I am looking at the few lines of your post wandering how to respond. Well, for one you are only answering superficially ... I am sure you can see that there is something important beneath.

Limits, much of your post is about people's limitations. Consider that.

rare ... is it ? You seem to be able to be rare sometimes. How much more lies beneath ?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Sep 2007, 3:10 pm

Hadron wrote:
Yes to both of them. But I suspect that neither scenario will happen in a long long time, if at all.

Those are just quick examples. You people are now suppose to write the real set of questions for each other. People are free to reject the premise of the questions all they want but the only answers acceptable are: no , yes , blank(graded as no).

rideforever wrote:
I would say no, as I say no to your question, because the goal is not to be 'happy' but to live a true life seeing life clearly, experiencing for yourself for better or worse and not influenced by others. This would elevate a person.

That same answer could have been made by a religious person. Anyway you were not suppose to debate a yes or no question. You voted no and that tally as "close minded". Make the test and you will likely see each side is not so different.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 07 Sep 2007, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 3:13 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Hadron wrote:

Those are just quick examples. You people are now suppose to write the real set of questions for each other. People are free to reject the premise of the questions all they want but the only answers acceptable are: no , yes , blank(graded as no).

no

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 3:14 pm

rideforever wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what any of that meant.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2007, 3:31 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
rideforever wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what any of that meant.

You are answering superficially, underlying mechanisms are more interesting to talk about.

You rush to talk about people's limitations, about what people can't do. Do you see that this perspective limits YOU.

We all have boundaries. Are you the kind of person who will try during his lifetime to go beyond them.